Transferring a visa to a new passport

I live in retirement in Nakhon Phanom and I shall go to Bangkok in a couple of weeks to collect a new passport. While I am there, I will have some medical treatment that might last six or eight weeks. My permission to live in retirement doesn't expire until early October, but will there be a problem if I delay the transfer of the visa to the new passport. Thanks for the help.

No problem. Just keep both passports with you, in case somebody wants to check your visa. 

And while there is no problem in delaying transferring it so long as you keep both passports. Sooner or later you must transfer it. It is very important to transfer it before your next visa.

10 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

It is very important to transfer it before your next visa.

Are you sure? I thought I could combine a stamp transfer visit to Imm same day as I apply for my latest extension...... Less trips to Imm the better, especially if you live in the sticks.

Oh, saw a post where, if you wanted, an agent could do the stamp transfers for you -- an option, should same day stamp transfer, extension renewal not be feasible.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Are you sure? I thought I could combine a stamp transfer visit to Imm same day as I apply for my latest extension...... Less trips to Imm the better, especially if you live in the sticks.

Oh, saw a post where, if you wanted, an agent could do the stamp transfers for you -- an option, should same day stamp transfer, extension renewal not be feasible.

Yes you can probably combine a stamp transfer and the extension in the same day. But what I meant is that the transfer must always come before the visa.

They won't process the extension if the stamps haven't been transferred / you haven't applied to have them transferred.

42 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

No problem. Just keep both passports with you, in case somebody wants to check your visa. 

And while there is no problem in delaying transferring it so long as you keep both passports. Sooner or later you must transfer it. It is very important to transfer it before your next visa.

Thank you very much.

24 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

You also need a letter from your embassy stating that the new passport is genuine.........otherwise Immigration won't do the transfer.

Really? Thank you for telling me. I thought that the letter from VFS was enough.

7 minutes ago, Ombra said:

Really? Thank you for telling me. I thought that the letter from VFS was enough.

It is enough since it is actually a letter done by the embassy and signed by a consular officer.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is enough since it is actually a letter done by the embassy and signed by a consular officer.

That's a relief! Thanks a lot.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That's good news. Previously, after receiving your new passport from VFS, you had to go to your embassy for the letter.

Please be aware Visa,s are non transferable they stay in your (old)passport, in your new passport all immigration will do is stamp saying you have a visa in your old passport. as for the letter i did not have one no problem at immigration so i guess depends where you go. i did not get this done for over a year no big deal at immigration as far as i was concerned.   

• Like 1

I got a new UK passport  2 yr back.  When issued, the issuing office in Bangkok gave me a letter to my local I/O asking them to transfer my existing retirement visa and re-entry permit to the new passport.  

Simple and trouble free; took new and old passport and letter to my I/o and all transfers done in an hour.  I/O knew all about thee procedure and just did it.  New visa and re-entry stamped in new passport and their records updated.  One of the easiest and most stress-free encounters with Phayao I/O

1 hour ago, Ombra said:

That's a relief! Thanks a lot.

When I wanted to transfer my stamps to a new passport recently, immigration sent me home because i didn't have my bank book with me. (Nowhere is it written that this is a requirement,  and they had seen it 3 weeks before anyway)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Robin said:

I got a new UK passport  2 yr back.  When issued, the issuing office in Bangkok gave me a letter to my local I/O asking them to transfer my existing retirement visa and re-entry permit to the new passport.  

Simple and trouble free; took new and old passport and letter to my I/o and all transfers done in an hour.  I/O knew all about thee procedure and just did it.  New visa and re-entry stamped in new passport and their records updated.  One of the easiest and most stress-free encounters with Phayao I/O

That's good to hear. Thanks.

OP... As has been already mentioned, there is no desperate rush to have your 'stamps' transferred to your new passport.  You just need to keep both your old and new passports together.  That said, it is best to get the transfer done as soon as convenient.

VSF will give you a proforma letter which you will need to fill in the details and give it to the IO when you go to your local office to request the 'stamp' transfer.  Note:  Some immigration offices will also require you to complete their own 'stamp' request form as well.  The transfer should be done free of charge.

Below is a copy of the letter I got when I recently (April) collected my new passport from VFS.

2127711813_EmbassyLetterforImmigration.thumb.jpg.a95cdfc58f1254d30e840ee80261582e.jpg

Below are the collection of 'stamps' which the IO put into my new passport.  As you will see they cover 2 pages.  The top left stamp is the 'transfer stamp' which shows my old passport number (redacted) plus my original visa (Non-o) and arrival date.  The smaller 'stamps' below indicate where and when I arrived on the original visa and the last date I arrived on a re-entry permit.  The large 'stamp' on the right shows the status of my current permission to stay plus the normal reminder 'stamp' to notify every 90 days.

1550604372_Transferstamp2020-21Extension_Redacted.jpg.814d2d7eba8d23a6a06ba896186ed6db.jpg

FYI..... As well as notifying immigration of your new passport number don't forget that there are a number of other organisations that you may also need to notify.  For example:  Your bank (most accounts are linked to your passport number);  Your hospital(s)/doctor who no doubt have you logged by your passport number; etc.

Good luck

Edited by 007 RED
Insert Pictures
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

OP... As has been already mentioned, there is no desperate rush to have your 'stamps' transferred to your new passport.  You just need to keep both your old and new passports together.  That said, it is best to get the transfer done as soon as convenient.

VSF will give you a proforma letter which you will need to fill in the details and give it to the IO when you go to your local office to request the 'stamp' transfer.  Note:  Some immigration offices will also require you to complete their own 'stamp' request form as well.  The transfer should be done free of charge.

Below is a copy of the letter I got when I recently (April) collected my new passport from VFS.

2127711813_EmbassyLetterforImmigration.thumb.jpg.a95cdfc58f1254d30e840ee80261582e.jpg

Below are the collection of 'stamps' which the IO put into my new passport.  As you will see they cover 2 pages.  The top left stamp is the 'transfer stamp' which shows my old passport number (redacted) plus my original visa (Non-o) and arrival date.  The smaller 'stamps' below indicate where and when I arrived on the original visa and the last date I arrived on a re-entry permit.  The large 'stamp' on the right shows the status of my current permission to stay plus the normal reminder 'stamp' to notify every 90 days.

1550604372_Transferstamp2020-21Extension_Redacted.jpg.814d2d7eba8d23a6a06ba896186ed6db.jpg

FYI..... As well as notifying immigration of your new passport number don't forget that there are a number of other organisations that you may also need to notify.  For example:  Your bank (most accounts are linked to your passport number);  Your hospital(s)/doctor who no doubt have you logged by your passport number; etc.

Good luck

Thank you very much indeed, 007 Red, for all the information and for the advice. I would, in fact, like to get the transfer done as soon as possible, but I shall be stuck in Bangkok having hospital treatment for a couple of months. 

I have just received my new passport. My Non Immigrant B extension runs out on 14 July. So I will try to get my transfers and extension done in one hit at Chaengwattana. Now could someone with experience of getting a transfer done at CW tell me:

1) Are transfers done at same L section  where extensions are done?

2)If yes, is it possible to get the transfer with the same officer who does the extension or do I have to queue up twice?

3) Is there a booking system for transfers? I've had a look on the booking site and can't see one for transfers.

Thank you

8 hours ago, vadid said:

I have just received my new passport. My Non Immigrant B extension runs out on 14 July. So I will try to get my transfers and extension done in one hit at Chaengwattana. Now could someone with experience of getting a transfer done at CW tell me:

1) Are transfers done at same L section  where extensions are done?

2)If yes, is it possible to get the transfer with the same officer who does the extension or do I have to queue up twice?

3) Is there a booking system for transfers? I've had a look on the booking site and can't see one for transfers.

Thank you

1 yes

2 dunno, didn't do it together

3 no, must wait, 1-2 hours

Edited by Kiujunn

I used this form (note page 2 has doc list) in 2019 at CW (same desk, L, as my ext stay/ret)...took a long time as you're queued with ret and marrige folks. No appointment possible then, not sure about now, think not.

You could try to do the extension with the same IO after she finishes the transfer. She might ask you to re-queue. Not sure if you could get two tickets, maybe ask.

form_transfer_stamp.pdf

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...