Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Riveting attachments for your drill - Anyone tried one, any good?


Recommended Posts

After spending the morning riveting up some guttering I've realised that my grip really isn't as strong as it was. Even using a 14" riveter things ache.

 

So, are these attachments for your drill any good? It's really only for occasional use.

 

This type of thing:-

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/4-rivet-hand-tools-i1562992342-s4203932148.html

 

7c55b2da9fc2039967c4d06710614720.jpeg_2200x2200q80.jpg_.jpg.0ef7314c4a96043b332f20bb22034f68.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In the UK use to use bulbtite rivets which were aluminum so nice and easy pull never seen them here. 

 

I have to use two hands with the rivets here and it take 2 - 3 pulls. 

 

I would say that tool drill attachment is definitely worth a try. 

 

Edited by Kwasaki
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kwasaki said:

In the UK use use bulbtite rivers which were aluminum so nice and easy pull never seen them here. 

 

I have to use two hands with the rivets here and it take 2 - 3 pulls. 

 

I would say that tool drill attachment is definitely worth a try. 

 

I prefer to not use aluminium rivets.

 

I have a pnuematic rivet gun... its sorts em real good.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I have a pnuematic rivet gun... its sorts em real good.

 

I'm not sure I can justify 1,400 Baht for an air rivetter, it would only see occasional use.

 

In fact I spent the first 30 minutes of the job today freeing up the mechanism of my hand rivetter that was tight from lack of use. If anyone has a trick for getting the collets back in the head easily we'd love to know (I stuck them together with a smear of bearing grease before gently sliding in) 🙂

 

I know, I know, don't take the head apart, but it had the minced remains of a rivet stuck inside from last time it was borrowed (I will never learn).

 

At a couple of hundred Baht that drill attachment definitely seems worth a go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a sucker for these attachments, bought the riveter but could not get

it to work ?.....I also ordered a chainsaw attachment for an angle grinder,

the very next day after it arrived, there was a post on here,about this guy

who was using this chainsaw attachment and cut a great gash to the

bone in his leg, most angle grinders available here don't have the auto

off when you take your finger off the trigger.

regards worgeordie

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

most angle grinders available here don't have the auto

off when you take your finger off the trigger.

but even with Auto, the disc still takes a minute to grind to a stop... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tifino said:

but even with Auto, the disc still takes a minute to grind to a stop... 

 

I'm terrified by our proper electric chainsaw that has a chain-brake (the gardener uses it one handed whilst up a tree), the angle-grinder attachment would petrify me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

 

I'm terrified by our proper electric chainsaw that has a chain-brake (the gardener uses it one handed whilst up a tree), the angle-grinder attachment would petrify me.

the next installment of Texas Chainsaw Massacre!! for those below, when he slips... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tifino said:

the next installment of Texas Chainsaw Massacre!! for those below, when he slips... 

 

He has a Malaysian parang which he keeps like a razor. He's far more scary when using that as he really doesn't have any spacial awareness, "oops, sorry I just took your head off, do you need a doctor?". 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crossy said:

 

He has a Malaysian parang which he keeps like a razor. He's far more scary when using that as he really doesn't have any spacial awareness, "oops, sorry I just took your head off, do you need a doctor?". 

 or, hey you're lucky I'm also a part time doctor... lucky I was near!!! 

 

40 years ago down in malaysia, the Scithe was the instrument to be wary of... they were used as lawnmowers, operating by what we lovingly referred to as the Swinging Sisters (groups of old hijab wearing grannies working in unison threesome teams) 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

“Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome.”


― Terry Pratchett, Mort

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

“Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome.”


― Terry Pratchett, Mort

a common means to an end... image.png.e03731c2bafe8c0b9917b255120282bd.png  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, back on-topic. I just ordered one.

 

I shall report when it arrives.

 

Meanwhile the rest of the guttering can wait until it does.

 

That I have started sorting it has pacified the good Lady of the House, so it can wait.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, tifino said:

do these models exist in LOS? 71QBdi0jDmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 

got to tryone out a week back...

I have one of those and it is very powerful. Full SS rivets up to 6mm are possible. But it does have a disadvantage over the standard small single hand held rivet gun due to its large size and only possible to use in the orientation of the rivet. 
I think I got mine from RS Online. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I am a sucker for these attachments, bought the riveter but could not get

it to work ?.....I also ordered a chainsaw attachment for an angle grinder,

the very next day after it arrived, there was a post on here,about this guy

who was using this chainsaw attachment and cut a great gash to the

bone in his leg, most angle grinders available here don't have the auto

off when you take your finger off the trigger.

regards worgeordie

 

Right, mine just has an on/off switch, and it's really not in the most convenient place if you wanted to turn it off quickly. Some of the electrical tools I see on Lazada look positively dangerous.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Anyway, back on-topic. I just ordered one.

 

I shall report when it arrives.

 

Meanwhile the rest of the guttering can wait until it does.

 

That I have started sorting it has pacified the good Lady of the House, so it can wait.

but but but - what about all that on/off/on/off drilling rap noise?? 

(myMrs would be ropeable for making any racket) 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Crossy said:

 

He has a Malaysian parang which he keeps like a razor. He's far more scary when using that as he really doesn't have any spacial awareness.

 

 

Been there done that.

 

cut leg.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the beast has arrived and it certainly works.

 

You still need two hands and it does pull remarkably hard when setting the rivets.

 

The first couple of rivet tails didn't eject, but its very easy to unclog and with a little light machine oil and a bit of "running in" it seems to work as expected.

 

For 200 Baht I don't think one can go very far wrong for occasional use. For doing a lot I'd invest in an air-powered unit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...