Do you workout? And if so, how often?

Evening all.

Just having a glass of wine as it is saturday evening..

I have just finished converting one of my upstairs bedrooms into a Gym.

Been planning on doing it for the past 12 months and now it is finally ready to go.

Starting monday I will be starting a regular fitness regime, 5 days a week, weights and cardio.

As I am not a regular gym goer I was just looking for some advice really..

Should I do cardio first and then weight training?

How long should I look to do on each?

I plan on starting my workouts around 9am every day, after my morning coffee.

I have also bought some creatine capsules. Never tried before, are they any good?

I have spent a small fortune on my home Gym so I am hoping all go's well and I can keep it up!

Thanks for any advice and have a good weekend everyone! 

My .02 cents.

I am in my late 50's and been working out regularly for over 35 years.  When the gym was open I used to workout 6 days a week.  My current BMI is 22.  In my old age it is all about optimum health and not bulking up.   Latest BP was 110/72 and my pulse was 68.  

My usual gym program:

1. 5 minutes of stretching and warmup

2. Intense Cardio for 25 minutes(I rotate between a treadmill and an elliptical)

3. Cool down stretch(with old muscles one can never get enough stretching)

4. 20 minutes of many reps with light weights(free and machine)

5. Then a short swim and/or dry sauna

Due to the  current lockdown that is a not called a  lockdown,  I have been climbing up and down the stairs in my building several time a week(10  story building 10 times).  I gave up trying to run with a mask on after I saw the female 800 Meter runner collapse as she finished her race with a mask on.  

Never took creatine or protein supplements.  Never wanted mass.  Just good cardiovascular health, strength and flexibility.  This happened in the State of Oregon and was a formal rule established by an athletic board.  

Good luck on your workouts.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
content
  • Thanks 1

Recently started training again too in a home gym. So i can give some advice. 

First build it up slowly going 5 times a day is a bit much. I started of doing 3 days of full body a week. The first few weeks. Later you can always add more training. Your body needs some time to grow work capacity. I know that I am not less strong as before. Meaning i can't do the same amount of training just yet (not talking about weights i push). It takes a bit of time to build this up

When you want to train is up to you some can train fasted (like you want to do) others like me don't like it its personal. 

Creatine is a good thing to use though it normally comes in powder and it certainly helps push out a few extra reps. I would start using it after a few weeks. (and buy powder next time its cheaper).

If you give me some more info about your home gym i can give you a bit of advice. As for cardio before or after again that is personal. Most people who want some muscle do it after or on separate days. You can also start of with weights 3 times a week and do 2 days of cardio. 

My most important advice is start off slow.

Tell me a bit more what you bought and i can help more

I am now doing 

3 x 8 deadlifts

3 x 8 squats

4 x 8-10 benchpress

4 x 8 military press

4 x 8 one arm rows

4 x 8 biceps curls

4 x 8 skull crushers

The biceps and triceps are not so important the first 5 exercises are important.

You could also do starting strength program works really good for most people. I don't exactly know what stuff you own but if you have good floor matting (I paid a fortune for mine) deadlifts are possible and one of the best exercises together with squats (not sure if you have a power rack or squat stand). But exercises that engage big muscle groups like deadlifts and squats will build the most muscle and burn the most energy.

Just know this if your diet is bad you won't be able to loose weight (if that is a goal) by just doing exercise. A bad diet can never be out trained. Just saying that because your topics about alcohol gave me the impressing you like living the good life.

Always happy to help a bit, but if your serious look into starting strength (and tell me your age) I might be wrong in advising it. Though even the older can do starting strength. The program is well thought out and less demanding then what i just wrote there.

What i do is just to get back to lifting and i might change it later. 

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

My .02 cents.

I am in my late 50's and been working out regularly for over 35 years.  When the gym was open I used to workout 6 days a week.  My current BMI is 22.  In my old age it is all about optimum health and not bulking up.   Latest BP was 110/72 and my pulse was 68.  

My usual gym program:

1. 5 minutes of stretching and warmup

2. Intense Cardio for 25 minutes(I rotate between a treadmill and an elliptical)

3. Cool down stretch(with old muscles one can never get enough stretching)

4. 20 minutes of many reps with light weights(free and machine)

5. Then a short swim and/or dry sauna

Due to the  current lockdown that is a not called a  lockdown,  I have been climbing up and down the stairs in my building several time a week(10  story building 10 times).  I gave up trying to run with a mask on after I saw the female 800 Meter runner collapse as she finished her race with a mask on.  

Never took creatine or protein supplements.  Never wanted mass.  Just good cardiovascular health, strength and flexibility.  This happened in the State of Oregon and was a formal rule established by an athletic board.  

Good luck on your workouts.  

Thank you so much for your reply!

I really am a bit of a novice when it comes to working out.

I did a bit in my teens so I know how to use weights etc, I just don't now what is the best combo and how long I should do on each.

Cheers mate!

2 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Thank you so much for your reply!

I really am a bit of a novice when it comes to working out.

I did a bit in my teens so I know how to use weights etc, I just don't now what is the best combo and how long I should do on each.

Cheers mate!

If your a novice look into starting strength its made for beginners. Its one of the better programs to start with. None of those fancy bodybuilder routines from the magazines for pros but something that works. 

But first let us know what you bought.

Have light weights, do some exercises + ride a bike about 5k a day....

I realize there's more to do at 73....Since our sport league (softball) folded it's left a gap.... I've tried to organize some bp, which is great exercise but few takers - too much like work...

We have a dressing room adjacent to our bedroom....It has an elliptical trainer and lounging area & I'm toying with the idea of cramming a home gym in also.....

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Recently started training again too in a home gym. So i can give some advice. 

First build it up slowly going 5 times a day is a bit much. I started of doing 3 days of full body a week. The first few weeks. Later you can always add more training. Your body needs some time to grow work capacity. I know that I am not less strong as before. Meaning i can't do the same amount of training just yet (not talking about weights i push). It takes a bit of time to build this up

When you want to train is up to you some can train fasted (like you want to do) others like me don't like it its personal. 

Creatine is a good thing to use though it normally comes in powder and it certainly helps push out a few extra reps. I would start using it after a few weeks. (and buy powder next time its cheaper).

If you give me some more info about your home gym i can give you a bit of advice. As for cardio before or after again that is personal. Most people who want some muscle do it after or on separate days. You can also start of with weights 3 times a week and do 2 days of cardio. 

My most important advice is start off slow.

Tell me a bit more what you bought and i can help more

I am now doing 

3 x 8 deadlifts

3 x 8 squats

4 x 8-10 benchpress

4 x 8 military press

4 x 8 one arm rows

4 x 8 biceps curls

4 x 8 skull crushers

The biceps and triceps are not so important the first 5 exercises are important.

You could also do starting strength program works really good for most people. I don't exactly know what stuff you own but if you have good floor matting (I paid a fortune for mine) deadlifts are possible and one of the best exercises together with squats (not sure if you have a power rack or squat stand). But exercises that engage big muscle groups like deadlifts and squats will build the most muscle and burn the most energy.

Just know this if your diet is bad you won't be able to loose weight (if that is a goal) by just doing exercise. A bad diet can never be out trained. Just saying that because your topics about alcohol gave me the impressing you like living the good life.

Always happy to help a bit, but if your serious look into starting strength (and tell me your age) I might be wrong in advising it. Though even the older can do starting strength. The program is well thought out and less demanding then what i just wrote there.

What i do is just to get back to lifting and i might change it later. 

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your reply.

I am definitely overweight at the minute, my plan is to cut down on the full fat beer and start eating more chicken and salads.

I would like to lose around 10/15 kg if possible.

But if not, then I would like to turn all my excess flab into muscle mass..

Which is easier, losing all that weight or turning it into muscle? 

thanks rob! 

1 minute ago, WineOh said:

I am definitely overweight at the minute, my plan is to cut down on the full fat beer and start eating more chicken and salads.

thanks rob! 

You can't turn fat into muscle, fat goes away and muscle gets made. Because your a beginner you can do both at the same time. Usually gaining muscle means eating more then you burn and losing fat means eating less then you burn but cant make muscles. But for beginners that is not true.

For me the combination of diet and exercise worked good i get more motivation for eating healthy if im execising. My whole previous program colapsed because my home gym was in my old home and i was going gyms till they closed. My diet went to hell after that.

Just do it in steps, don't overdo it all at once. Dont be suprised either when your weight goes up at first (normal response to weight training is holding some water at first from muscle aches). Also the scales might not tell the true story if your doing weights and dieting you might have lost fat gained muscle and stayed the same. Get a tape measure and measure your belly. Write it down else you might get demotivated.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

But first let us know what you bought.

Nothing really professional but I currently have : Dumbell set, workout bench, barbell rack, Treadmill, spinning bike & a TV ???? 
Looking at getting a jacuzzi installed in the bathroom soon! 

Nothing really professional but I currently have : Dumbell set, workout bench, barbell rack, Treadmill, spinning bike & a TV ???? 
Looking at getting a jacuzzi installed in the bathroom soon! 

Ok does your barbell rack allows squats ? I mean can you load a weight on your shoulders with it ? Treadmill and spinning bike are good so is the TV. 

Jacuzzi is nice too after a workout. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WineOh said:

thanks rob! 

I've lost 20k through intermittent fasting....I wasn't fat, due to my height and frame; but I feel better having shed the excess....

I eat from about 8AM to 2PM then, that's usually it until the next day..... I'm at about 210# now & that's ok for 6'4".....It took about a year, but I wasn't trying to crash diet - just let things equalize out....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ok does your barbell rack allows squats ?

yes. It has the adjustable bracket on each side. 

the one that goes up and down ???? 

Just now, pgrahmm said:

I've lost 20k through intermittent fasting....I wasn't fat, due to my height and frame; but I feel better having shed the excess....

I eat from about 8AM to 2PM then, that's usually it until the next day..... I'm at about 210# now & that's ok for 6'4".....It took about a year, but I wasn't trying to crash diet - just let things equalize out....

most weight loss comes from diet not exercise. Also 20 kg in a year not bad at all. I did 25kg in a year long ago. Losing weight is a marathon not a sprint. Nicely done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes. It has the adjustable bracket on each side. 

the one that goes up and down ???? 

That is great squat is one of the better exercises. If you have some floor matting you can do deadlifts too. Your bar is it a 50mm bar or a 30mm bar (the hole for the disks)

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you have some floor matting you can do deadlifts too.

Got the floor matting,

not sure on the size of the bar.

will have a look later and post back when I know.

I'm looking forward to getting in shape.

Just hope I can keep it up. 

That's the hard part! 

@WineOh

I think that with your setup starting strength might be a good program. It tells you all that needs to be done and you seem to have the equipment for it. 

You can do cardio with it on the other days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Got the floor matting,

not sure on the size of the bar.

will have a look later and post back when I know.

I'm looking forward to getting in shape.

Just hope I can keep it up. 

That's the hard part! 

Yes it is as its not always fun. I am asking about the size of the bar as for 50mm bars you can get special weight disks that are made for doing deadlifts (they contain more rubber and are a larger diameter) they make the contact with the floor better. You actually only need one pair as they will be of the biggest diameter preventing the other disks from making contact with the floor. Decathlon has them.

6 minutes ago, WineOh said:

looks good mate!

Its good enough got a rowing machine and a bike for cardio. But truth be told the cardio is harder for me then the lifting. 

But with free weights you can do a lot.

Start off slow the first two weeks you will be sore all over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

As I am not a regular gym goer I was just looking for some advice really..

I was gonna say go slow, I think you already have good advice.

Have a multi gym and use it as gentle exercise.

I ride my sportsbike which can be demanding.

The farmland is good for me where I do Archery and walking 35 metres back and forth from target is exercise. 

Caring for the Farmland and farmhouse is another activity.

• Like 1

A few months ago I suggested you do some gym because I think the exercise can help some bad habits, such as excessive drinking, seem less attractive. People gave me confused faces but it's good to see you're into it.

I am not sure if my way is best but I do 2 workouts twice a week :

Workout 1 : Cardio Chest Arms

Decent fast run for 10 minutes. Skipping for 5 minutes. 50 pushups. I use a wheel for front stretches along the floor.

150 in total sit ups and leg raises. Flys lying on back. Sit down bicep curls. Tricep over shoulder. 

Workout 2: Cardio Boxing Back Shoulders

Decent run fast for 10 minutes. Boxing and Kicking bag or shadow 10 minutes.

Front dumbell raise. Side dumbell raise and  Front dumbell lift from shoulder up - for this you do one set and go straight to the other one - this had a real impact on shoulder size.

Lat pull downs or equivalent. Rowing with weights or equivalent.

I do some other stuff that is only at gym such as pushing weight along floor and rope swing and some other cardio stuff but if needed you could add 10 minutes of something else. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

A few months ago I suggested you do some gym because I think the exercise can help some bad habits, such as excessive drinking, seem less attractive. People gave me confused faces but it's good to see you're into it.

I am not sure if my way is best but I do 2 workouts twice a week :

Workout 1 : Cardio Chest Arms

Decent fast run for 10 minutes. Skipping for 5 minutes. 50 pushups. I use a wheel for front stretches along the floor.

150 in total sit ups and leg raises. Flys lying on back. Sit down bicep curls. Tricep over shoulder. 

Workout 2: Cardio Boxing Back Shoulders

Decent run fast for 10 minutes. Boxing and Kicking bag or shadow 10 minutes.

Front dumbell raise. Side dumbell raise and  Front dumbell lift from shoulder up - for this you do one set and go straight to the other one - this had a real impact on shoulder size.

Lat pull downs or equivalent. Rowing with weights or equivalent.

I do some other stuff that is only at gym such as pushing weight along floor and rope swing and some other cardio stuff but if needed you could add 10 minutes of something else. 

Personally id do squats and deadlifts the biceps and triceps stuff is not really important they are small muscles that get trained with chest and back. Just my opinion. For many people starting off with a full body workout 3 times a week is best. But it really depends what equipment you have and it depends on what you like. Because even a sub par workout is better than a great workout that you did not do.

4 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Just keep going month or 2 and you cant live whitout exercise! Like already has said here dont watch scale. Mirror and measurement tell all. Keep going....????

Yes if you first start lifting you will gain muscle and it might offset the fat you lose. Measuring is best the mirror helps but because you see yourself every day it might not show progress in your mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I am asking about the size of the bar as for 50mm bars you can get special weight disks that are made for doing deadlifts (they contain more rubber and are a larger diameter) they make the contact with the floor better.

Some people call these "bumper disks".

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

Personally id do squats and deadlifts the biceps and triceps stuff is not really important they are small muscles that get trained with chest and back. Just my opinion. For many people starting off with a full body workout 3 times a week is best. But it really depends what equipment you have and it depends on what you like. Because even a sub par workout is better than a great workout that you did not do.

Good point. For some reason I feel the heavy leg exercises are a bit hard on me as I am tall and thinnish so I leave it to cardio and boxing etc to do the job. But it is probably objectively better.

Two other tips are:

Watch technique - go lighter and get technique right..

Could do 10 minutes stretching yoga stuff before bed to stop cramp and relax a bit