What Insurance needed with re-entry flying from the uk

There has been a recent debate on whether the 400/40 insurance mentioned on the Embassy website is required when entering with an extension based on Non O visa or whether it's only needed if entering with an actual Non O visa itself.  The Embassy website isn't 100% clear IMO but hopefully to the two protagonists in the debate will be along to state their case and you can decide from there.

The embassy website states that the 40/400k baht medical insurance is required to get a certificate of entry (COE). It has to be valid for your length of stay which would be the day your re-entry permit expires.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy website states that the 40/400k baht medical insurance is required to get a certificate of entry (COE). It has to be valid for your length of stay which would be the day your re-entry permit expires.

Immigration Khon Kaen say for Re-Entry, Health Insurance not required.   Only required for New Applications.   Anyones guess as usual!!!

1 hour ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Immigration Khon Kaen say for Re-Entry, Health Insurance not required.   Only required for New Applications.   Anyones guess as usual!!!

What would an Internal Immigration office know about the requirements at a Thai Embassy in order to obtain a Visa, or the COE requirements in order to enter Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Online.

Covid 19 Insurance (tgia.org) https://covid19.tgia.org  

Health Insurance (tgia.org) https://longstay.tgia.org 

I'm married to a Thai, originally I had an O-A visa which was issued on the basis of retirement, when the insurance requirement came out I changed the visa basis to marriage. 

Now, if I were to return to the UK for a holiday at some point, if I understand things correctly, I will need to show proof of $100k covid insurance, even though I currently hold 1 mill. Baht covid insurance via tipinsure/roojai.  Can anyone confirm that is the case, please?

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Same for the Dutch case: website of the Embassy clearly states that those returning to Thailand on a NON-O retirement and a valid re-entry permit require the 40/400k insurance and I believe this rule is now employed at most European embassies. Quote from the Thai embassy in The Hague:

'When requesting for a COE, holders of a valid Re-entry Permit (Retirement) who wish to return to Thailand using the Re-entry Permit (Retirement), are required to submit a copy of health insurance policy which covers the length of stay in Thailand with no less than 40,000 THB coverage for out-patient treatment and no less than 400,000 THB for in-patient treatment. Applicant may consider buying a Thai health insurance online at longstay.tgia.org. You may also be asked by the immigration to present the original insurance policy upon your arrival in Thailand.'

6 minutes ago, Brierley said:

I'm married to a Thai, originally I had an O-A visa which was issued on the basis of retirement, when the insurance requirement came out I changed the visa basis to marriage. 

Your extending your permission of stay based on reason of marriage (a permit, not a Visa), which doesn't require any compulsory Health Insurance for the extension application.

8 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Now, if I were to return to the UK for a holiday at some point, if I understand things correctly, I will need to show proof of $100k covid insurance, even though I currently hold 1 mill. Baht covid insurance via tipinsure/roojai.  Can anyone confirm that is the case, please?

$100K is equivalent to over 3 million baht. The policy through Roojai does not meet the requirements for entry to Thailand.

If you went to the UK, you can protect your existing permission of stay by purchasing a separate re-entry permit. Provided you re-enter before your extension expiry date. 

Alternatively if your current extension expired whilst in the UK, you could apply for a new Non O Visa based on marriage to a Thai to re-enter Thailand.

The 400/40K Health Insurance requirement does not apply to either a Non O Visa or an existing extension with re-entry permit when married to a Thai, for entering Thailand.

The $100 Covid Insurance applies to all entries, but only has to cover the period of entry.

If you entered on a new Non O Visa is would have to cover a period of 3 months.

If you entered on an existing permission of stay using a re-entry permit it would have to cover the period of stay granted on entry, up to the expiry date of your extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cormanr7 said:

Same for the Dutch case: website of the Embassy clearly states that those returning to Thailand on a NON-O retirement and a valid re-entry permit require the 40/400k insurance and I believe this rule is now employed at most European embassies. Quote from the Thai embassy in The Hague:

'When requesting for a COE, holders of a valid Re-entry Permit (Retirement) who wish to return to Thailand using the Re-entry Permit (Retirement), are required to submit a copy of health insurance policy which covers the length of stay in Thailand with no less than 40,000 THB coverage for out-patient treatment and no less than 400,000 THB for in-patient treatment. Applicant may consider buying a Thai health insurance online at longstay.tgia.org. You may also be asked by the immigration to present the original insurance policy upon your arrival in Thailand.'

The counter argument to ubonjoe's post is that the wording on the UK Embassy site makes no reference to re-entry permit therefore the requirement only relates to entries on an actual visa.  There is another current thread asking for contributions from anyone that's actually done it so maybe we'll find out soon which interpretation is being used.  Or maybe we'll find it's who is dealing with the application that makes the difference!  That wouldn't surprise me.

15 hours ago, struan hill said:

Hello,

I'm currently in the UK, about to return to Thailand on a re-entry permit for a 1 year extension (of an original Non imm O retirement).

I got my COE without any problem, submitting only the 100k USD insurance (no 40/400 outpatient insurance required).

As per previous threads it seemed unclear whether the 40/400 insurance would be required or not, so I tried without it (on the basis that I could quickly get it if they wouldn't give me the COE). So ONLY 100k USD covid insurance required for Non O extension COE coming from UK (despite the London Embassy post appearing to suggest otherwise).  

Thanks for the report.

Did you have to upload your extension of stay and the re-entry permit for the COE by any chance, or just your Passport photo page.

Hello Tanoshi,

yes, I uploaded the re-entry/ visa extension pages of my passport (in addition to the photo page) when applying for the COE. You have to show the valid "visa" you are travelling under which for me is the current "1 year extension".

• Thanks 1