Life after royal navy in Thailand

Hey everyone, I've recently come to the decision that I want to leave the Royal Navy. In in two minds in whether to get a job back home in Manchester or make the move to Thailand. I'm half Thai with a passport and can speak the language conversationally. This means I have the right to work in Thailand, I just don't know if I can find a decent job. I've served 6 years as an aircraft engineer and I'm currently 24. Any help would be great with how easy it would be to get a job over there in any field.

You are young enough to give Thailand a go and go home to Mcr if it doesn't work out. 

I'd look on LinkedIn and jobsdb, apply and get a job, then resign. If you can't find a job in BKK or England then continue in the RN until you get one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thailand said:

FAA tiffy?

24, you can do whatever you like. I waited 20 years too long, but few regrets finally making the move.

They got rid of tiffs maybe 10 years ago mate. Did you do the full 22?

9 hours ago, steve187 said:

i had a friend of mine leave the navy after 6 years he was an engineer as well, a few years later he regretted leaving and thought about re-enlisting, along came a baby so he didn't take it any further, he is in a management job now which he puts up with, but still to this day regrets leaving,

just my thoughts on leaving its not a good time world wide for jobs, so would it be worth waiting a bit until you have a clear choice of what's ahead. your young don't move from a known future to an unknown one, 

For me personally, the work life balance atm isn’t great. I’m currently based in Yeovil and it looks likely I would be there for my entire career if I were to stay in. The place is depressing and I want to leave while I’m still young.

23 minutes ago, tifino said:

maybe consider a side step, to RAF or Army?   

- a change is as good as a holiday

I want out of the forces entirely in all honesty mate. I’ve enjoyed my time in but I think I’ve got to the stage of my career that if I don’t leave now I’ll never leave.

• Like 1

I first came here in the RN 1963 HMS Alert, also tied up in BKK on the river. Horrible mosquitoes in those days and we had no a/c so slept on the upper deck.....nasty. As for staying in the Andrew, I bought myself out after nine years, boy seaman at 15. Best thing for me at that time. I totally understand your wanting to leave. Just do it. Back then everybody had their horror stories of life after the Andrew. Within a year I was surfing in Morocco and living la vida loca. Never looked back, but sometimes had dreams/nightmares I was back in.....would wake up sweating, but then relieved. Hold a vision of what you want to accomplish in five years, and just move towards it. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Lad left the Royal Navy after 6-7 years a few years ago, he was also in engineering, a WE, once he made his mind up and told them he had to do another year before he finally left.

In this time he did all the re-training he could and got on a course repairing wind turbines, with assistance from the Navy, he got qualifications etc but the work was sporadic so he ended up going down another path (the Navy background helped him get a foot in the door for sure)

What I am saying is, if you are dead set on a life & career here in Thailand I'd advise you to decide what trade you would enjoy here, whether it is a financially good choice and if you would be a sought after employee, but do all your re-training & gain the qualifications in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2021 at 12:10 PM, Matty64 said:

I want out of the forces entirely in all honesty mate. I’ve enjoyed my time in but I think I’ve got to the stage of my career that if I don’t leave now I’ll never leave.

At 24 I reckon you can afford (time-wise, if not financially) to take a break to consider options. In your OP you say a job in any field: if you want to stay in engineering and, let's face it, that's what you're qualified in, then you could consider the auto industry and especially companies like RMAsia, ie non-Thai owned businesses. International orgs like the UN also hire engineering roles locally. If you want to use your aircraft engineering then options are much more limited although the O&G helo support mentioned by a previous poster could be an option; if non-aero then O&G generally in Thailand could be an option.

Your big advantage is the Thai nationality. Makes you so much easier to hire, although hiring as a Thai can also be a way for companies to offer less.

I'd say do some more research online to see what might be available etc. Are you eligible for a Career Intermission? That might be an option for a year - come to Thailand and see what pans out etc.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Artificers.

Thanks, another term i wasn't familiar with so i googled it:

An Artificer is an appointment held by a member of an armed forces service who is skilled at working on electronic, electrical, electro-mechanical and/or mechanical devices.[1] The specific term "artificer" for this function is typical of the armed forces of countries that are or have been in the British Commonwealth and refers to a Senior Non-Commissioned Officer. Artificer is a job title and not a rank.