Woman, 63, stabbed and robbed while meditating in Phuket temple

Jonathan Fairfield

1620459166_1-org.jpeg

A 63-year-old woman was attacked and robbed under a CCTV camera at Wat Charoen Samanakit in Phuket Town. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 63-year-old woman was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital after she was robbed and stabbed by an unknown man. The woman was attacked while meditating in Wat Charoen Samanakit (Wat Lang San) in Soi Tohse off Damrong Rd in Phuket Town yesterday (May 7)

Sommit Pungtaetua, 58, a temple staffer, told The Phuket News this morning (8 May) that the incident happened at about 7am and was recorded by CCTV.

“From the CCTV footage we learned that the woman was meditating on the ground floor of the temple, when a man walked up to her acting suspiciously,” the staffer said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/woman-63-stabbed-and-robbed-while-meditating-in-phuket-temple-79941.php

• Sad 5

Must be a way for a thief to commit a crime without harming someone as well.

Some are able to.

Cute picture on a social media, nice story, then someone willing to 'help'.

But stabbing a lady in a temple, how low can you get...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The courts will take a dim view of this,because he commited the crime

in a Temple, good news he was quickly caught.

regards Worgeordie

So will the other prisoners, I would imagine. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Must be a way for a thief to commit a crime without harming someone as well.

Some are able to.

Cute picture on a social media, nice story, then someone willing to 'help'.

But stabbing a lady in a temple, how low can you get...

Join World Vision and you will soon find out!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

PHUKET: A 63-year-old woman was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital after she was robbed and stabbed by an unknown man. The woman was attacked while meditating in Wat Charoen Samanakit (Wat Lang San) in Soi Tohse off Damrong Rd in Phuket Town yesterday

Not even safe in a temple .... what happened to Buddhism in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:
6 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Care to elaborate on how a thief can commit a crime without harming someone physically or financially ? 

PICKPOCKET!   

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Meditating = praying for lottery numbers

What an insult to Buddhists who don’t meditate for lottery numbers.  Do you also insult Muslims and Christians and Jews? You probably figure they pray to god to help them win the lottery or make the infidel die.

38 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Buddhism in it's real sense of meaning and values disappeared a long time ago from what I see....

There are still some Buddhists around who follow the core teachings of Siddhartha Gautama Buddha. Not all Buddhists have mixed Hindu and animist beliefs with Buddhism.  ☸️

59 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Not even safe in a temple .... what happened to Buddhism in Thailand.

Sadly it disappeared a long time ago as a result of successive waves of immigration from China.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Care to elaborate on how a thief can commit a crime without harming someone physically or financially ? 

I just thought that it was obvious that in this instance, it meant physical injury.

Strangely, not obvious to you....????

49 minutes ago, Catoni said:

What an insult to Buddhists who don’t meditate for lottery numbers.  Do you also insult Muslims and Christians and Jews? You probably figure they pray to god to help them win the lottery or make the infidel die.

I do my best to find some spirituality in religions.

I am still looking...

13 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

I just thought that it was obvious that in this instance, it meant physical injury.

Strangely, not obvious to you....????

Injuring someone physically can have just the same effect as robbing someone of their last money for the family, maybe worse in some instances. 

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Injuring someone physically can have just the same effect as robbing someone of their last money for the family, maybe worse in some instances. 

Of course you are right.

I just remember when I was in Naples Italy, and we parked the car to book into a hotel. I was told then to make sure that nothing was left in the car. Strange. Quite close to the Vatican hehe.

When we woke up next morning, I asked my gf to get something in the car. She came back frantic. When I asked, she told me that the car was broken in, and our camping gear was gone (as well as our prime bottle of Greece cognac).

I just told her, never mind. I told her that I was actually happy that they had the decency to do this while we were sleeping, without harming (injuring) us.

I still look at it this way today. When we reported this to the police in the morning, the reply was "So, every tourist gets robbed in Naples". I will always remember that.

My mother tongue is French, so I do not master the definition of English words as well as you do.

But I try hehe.

Regards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Robbing within temple grounds. Seriously, this is one sick guy.

Robbery anywhere anytime is a bad thing...but I just can't help thinking there are a lot of hungry people out there at the moment and not much govt or private assistance available. (Cue the free room and board posts.)

Edited by Pattaya Spotter