Woman, 63, stabbed and robbed while meditating in Phuket temple

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

So, every tourist gets robbed in Naples"

Actually it was every Tourist who IGNORES THE LOCAL ADVICE TO TAKE ALL VALUABLES OUT OF THEIR CARS get robbed.

Had you LISTENED to the locals advice, you would have taken your camping gear and bottle of liquor to your room and the thieves would have gotten NOTHING and we wouldn't be having this conversation now. ????

8 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Actually it was every Tourist who IGNORES THE LOCAL ADVICE TO TAKE ALL VALUABLES OUT OF THEIR CARS get robbed.

Had you LISTENED to the locals advice, you would have taken your camping gear and bottle of liquor to your room and the thieves would have gotten NOTHING and we wouldn't be having this conversation now. ????

Hehehe. I come from a more civilized part of the world I suppose, so it is sometimes difficult to believe all that is said about another part of this world.

This is what I was told at the Naples police station, and nothing in what you wrote invalidates that.

Appears that you know very well the culture in Naples

Having removed the few belongings left in the car would simply have left the car damaged by the break-in. The point is not about thieves getting nothing in some instances, the point is about the FEELING that is left after a theft with and without injury to the victims.

If you would have had an open mind while reading my comment, we would not be having this conversation now.

16 hours ago, Catoni said:

What an insult to Buddhists who don’t meditate for lottery numbers.  Do you also insult Muslims and Christians and Jews? You probably figure they pray to god to help them win the lottery or make the infidel die.

Praying and meditating are not the same thing.  Being married to a Thai I go to Wats fairly often.  I don't see people meditating.  I see people playing games to give them numbers.  I see more lottery vendors than monks.  As far as religions go I don't care what someone believes.  I do care about them trying to force their beliefs on others or killing them if they don't.  In that regard Buddhism is the most benign of religions.

Even Buddhist calendars have lucky numbers on them.  No description available.

Edited by rwill

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Praying and meditating are not the same thing.  Being married to a Thai I go to Wats fairly often.  I don't see people meditating.  I see people playing games to give them numbers.  I see more lottery vendors than monks.  As far as religions go I don't care what someone believes.  I do care about them trying to force their beliefs on others or killing them if they don't.  In that regard Buddhism is the most benign of religions.

Even Buddhist calendars have lucky numbers on them.  No description available.

That’s fine. But Lord Buddha never taught the Dhamma to be used for finding lucky numbers and gambling. So Buddhists are mis-using Buddhism. Buddhists using Buddhism in such a way are not following the Dhamma.  In Thailand and Cambodia, I saw most of the Buddhists mixing Buddhism and other religions like ancient Animist spiriting beliefs and Hinduism and who knows what else. 
    As a Buddhist, I stick to Lord Buddha’s basic teachings.  I show respect to other’s beliefs, and If they want to meditate in the temple for lottery numbers, fine. But any Buddhist or Buddhist organization and temple pushing such superstition….including “magical” amulets and Sak Yant that stops bullets and cuts and etc. is not actually following Lord Buddha’s teachings.