Stronk-K eclectrolyte beverage

Aforek

Hello, 

I had a very low sodium level, and I had losses of balance, synchronization and a big fall; I spent 2 days in the hospital, where they gave me salty water infusions in the blood (about 2 liters); now I'm ok, and my friends recommend me to take "StronK-K electrolyte beverage" to have sodium every day ; it's pleasant to drink, do you think it's good, and how many sachets per day? thank you

For story of exercise, I have what I need, just to be sure my sodium level is ok 

In BKK there are a few running groups that weekly offer StronK-K to participants. I've never been sure whether to drink the stuff before or after running. Probably the 600ml bottle of water that does the most good! I prefer 100Plus but that is just me.

Instructions for StronK-K say not more than 4 sachets per day. 

There is also Royal-D and Oreda. Oreda in smaller packets comes across as more medial that sport but.. I'll stick with 100Plus ready mixed and fizzy.

I take it during runs longer than one hour, especially when it is hot. That's a time when I really need electrolytes in order to avoid heat exhaustion/ cramps etc. Seems to work, it's quite cheap (many electrolytic drinks are way too expensive) and tastes OK. 

However you can get sodium from your diet, ignore those that tell you to cut back salt intake, I add as much as I feel I need. My blood pressure is OK, thanks.

I use Royal D. In hot season I will take one a day after exercise. If I am not exercising (walking) I normally will not need to take one.

Somedays on hot hot days I feel myself going a little "wonky" and a sachet usually sorts me out.

I am overweight and sweat a lot.  

ok, thanks for the answers, it doesn't seem dangerous ; I must say that I avoided salt completely, my fault

a little bit salt in food and one sachet per day, I tink it's ok 

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

ok, thanks for the answers, it doesn't seem dangerous ; I must say that I avoided salt completely, my fault

a little bit salt in food and one sachet per day, I tink it's ok 

in this hot and humid climate, you need more salt than back home, especially if and when sweating. So unless you have a special medical condition that necessitates it, you should not completely avoid salt.

There are many brands of electrolyte powders. The main risk in taking too much is the potassium content. One sachet a day is unlikely to be a problem but also should nto be necessary if you are getting enough sodium in your food and not sweating much. When you have been sweating a lot, for whatever reason, then it is helpful. Likewise if you've had diarrhea.

Other things that work as well are green coconut water and fresh nam minao (lemon juice) or nam som (orange juice) from one of those vendors with blenders as the Thais add a pinch of salt to these drinks.

With the electrolyte powders take care not to under-dilute them, use at least the amount of water recommended. You can also use more water safely but do not use less.

22 hours ago, PPMMUU said:

If you have sodium problem it could be bad if you take strong potassium electrolyte drinks.

In order to state something like that you have to go into the whole business concerning electrolytes, so I request an explanation.

OR: I could say "No it couldn't".

1 hour ago, cooked said:

In order to state something like that you have to go into the whole business concerning electrolytes, so I request an explanation.

OR: I could say "No it couldn't".

Some disease or condition that cause low sodium also cause impair excretion of potassium. If one has such condition, taking strong potassium electrolyte drinks could cause high potassium level which could cause many bad things including sudden death from abnormal electrical activity of the heart.

Interesting keywords: hyponatremia, hyperkalemia, hypoaldosteronism