Thailand reports over 2,101 COVID-19 cases, 17 new deaths

2021-05-03T165108Z_1_LYNXMPEH420SO_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.jpeg

People queue to be tested for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), at a temple near Klong Toey slum community in Bangkok, Thailand, May 3, 2021. REUTERS/Juarawee Kittisilpa

Thailand on Sunday (May 9) reported 2,101 new COVID-19 cases and 17 more deaths.

A further 2,186 people were discharged having made a full recovery.

Sunday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 83,375 with 399 deaths. 

The news comes as Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-o-cha on Saturday vowed to ramp up the country’s vaccination program. 

In a Facebook post the PM said Thailand has raised its vaccine supply target from 100 million to 150 million doses. 

This will not only cover the 60 million population but will leave doses to spare, the PM said.

Also on Saturday, Thailand Private Hospital Association (PHA) vowed not to profit from vaccine shots.

The PHA said that any vaccines administered from private hospitals will be charged at standard prices. 

This post may be updated without warning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Hospital admissions and discharges seem to be steady state. 

That people who they release are those whit mild symptoms or dont have any. More important number is how many people are in ICU and how many place there still have letf to fill! Also number whitch shows how many respirator unit still have free to use! 

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Also on Saturday, Thailand Private Hospital Association (PHA) vowed not to profit from vaccine shots.

The PHA said that any vaccines administered from private hospitals will be charged at standard prices. 

So there will be a nominal fee it does appear, which of course I did expect.  Hopefully we will have a true choice if the vaccine we want.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

With all the previous evidence of outbreaks in migrant communities and factories, coupled with the latest outbreak in the Pineapple factory with nearly half the workforce infected. I fear that unless some serious testing is done within those communities it won't be long until they spring up again and create new large clusters. 

Hi Brian

Your educated posts, analysis and information have become part of my daily life! I understand your frustrations regarding travel, lockdown and testing but fear that large scale testing is just not going to happen. I have a long term Thai GF and have observed that if she says we need 5 and I put my case for 10,  subject is closed without acknowledgement. A week later 10 arrive. Whilst this might not happen with testing,  I truly hope it is the case for vaccinations and somehow we get pleasantly surprised. Somehow.....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand to 83,375 with 399 deaths. 

This B117 UK highly contagious mutant strain has really caught them on the back foot. 

Quadrupled the numbers in 6 weeks from the previous 16 months.

Tragic.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-guide-to-the-uk-variant-fuelling-thailands-third-wave-of-covid-19/

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

With all the previous evidence of outbreaks in migrant communities and factories, coupled with the latest outbreak in the Pineapple factory with nearly half the workforce infected. I fear that unless some serious testing is done within those communities it won't be long until they spring up again and create new large clusters. 

Exactly, the Longan and Rambutan canning factories may be next ????

45 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

For standard read exorbitant. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

You would have to be incredibly naive to think that these numbers represent reality in any way.

The case numbers are limited by the amount of testing.

This is going to explode out of control. Trying to prove anything is all just “he said, she said”. The truth will be coming up over the next few days and weeks and it will be impossible to hide it.

They could get away with this under reporting of reality in the first wave without visible consequences but this variant is very different and the don’t test, don’t find tactics will no longer work.

Save the comments and let’s just see what happens.

Actually, no. 

Cases revealed by mass testing are a small fraction of the total numbers. The bulk of new cases come from symptomatic hospital walk-ins. So, either the number of walk-ins has flatlined in the last 2 weeks, or there are a bunch of symptomatic walk-ins who are sitting in a hospital waiting for a bed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

That people who they release are those whit mild symptoms or dont have any. More important number is how many people are in ICU and how many place there still have letf to fill! Also number whitch shows how many respirator unit still have free to use! 

You are both right and wrong. 

It is true that hospitals don't release people when they are symptomatic, they release them when they are healthy. So, your statement is true, but misleading. 

Hospital discharges are people who were symptomatic but are now healthy. 

Unfortunately, it is likely that discharge numbers include people discharged from field hospitals who were asymptomatic, so  the discharge number is not 100% meaningful. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Actually, no. 

Cases revealed by mass testing are a small fraction of the total numbers. The bulk of new cases come from symptomatic hospital walk-ins. So, either the number of walk-ins has flatlined in the last 2 weeks, or there are a bunch of symptomatic walk-ins who are sitting in a hospital waiting for a bed. 

Another option, people are having problems getting tested at hospitals because of limited testing at them now. Some only now test a small number each day around 20, you need to be up early in the morning to get in the queue or you're lucks out.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

You would have to be incredibly naive to think that these numbers represent reality in any way.

The case numbers are limited by the amount of testing.

What troubles me most is that the numbers are consistent, deaths are about 1% of cases, and the ICU number match too. So they would have to doctor these indicators too. But that's definitely a possibility, within limits.

Edited by Boomer6969

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Hospital admissions and discharges seem to be steady state. 

This is indeed a good thing because it looked just a couple of weeks ago like the hospital system would be overwhelmed, which would have all kinds of horrible knock-on effects.  But it's obviously not good enough.  Such high daily case numbers mean the growth rate could start rising again at any time.  All it would take is one super-spreading event.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I read in another report that although they will "apparently" charge standard cost, there will also be a compulsory insurance fee to cover any possible side effects. I have absolutely no doubt that the hospitals and insurance brokers/companies will be working hand in hand with this.

Still all good news IF we can get a decent vaccine.

I am not sure that they will be a compulsory insurance fee to cover side effects.

In Europe, not a single insurance company is willing to cover side effects.

Too many uncertainties today about possible long term side effects. Saying that even if I am 100% in favor of vaccination (and got my first jab a month ago).

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Another option, people are having problems getting tested at hospitals because of limited testing at them now. Some only now test a small number each day around 20, you need to be up early in the morning to get in the queue or you're lucks out.

That's people presenting for a test. About someone coming in with severe symptoms? 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Hospital discharges are people who were symptomatic but are now healthy.

So they havent find any non symptomatic ever! They only put sick people in like field hospital! 

Dont mix any Ya Ba in your coffee!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

What troubles me most is that the numbers are consistent, deaths are about 1% of cases, and the ICU number match too. So they would have to doctor these indicators too. But that's definitely a possibility, within limits.

Not just that, the locally issued numbers are consistent with the national numbers. It would be an enormous effort to fake all those numbers. 

Let's say all the numbers are faked. Early in the morning, Buriram sends out a report saying there are 3 new cases, a fake number. Because the provincial government is faking the numbers, they have no idea what the real number is. But, there is a hospital in Buriram  with 20 new cases that day, and word gets out that the provincial numbers are fake. That's the risk that faking the numbers incurs. Any understatement of the real numbers is risky. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1