Thailand reports over 2,101 COVID-19 cases, 17 new deaths

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

Figures are over-reported...many say the Thai numbers are under-reported...all we have to work with are the officially reported numbers so that's what I use when posting. Otherwise, everyone is just plucking numbers out of thin air.

No evidence of substantive over reporting anywhere in the world.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

Whilst still extremely bad, it has been widely reported that deaths from covid have been over reported to some 25% due to the statistic been classed as "having died with covid within 28 days of a positive test. Early on in the pandemic if you had a positive test result and died 3 or 4 months later you went down as having died with covid, no one ever recovered from covid under the original reporting method.

On the other side of the coin:

A new study estimates that the number of people who have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. is more than 900,000, a number 57% higher than official figures.

Worldwide, the study's authors say, the COVID-19 death count is nearing 7 million, more than double the reported number of 3.24 million.

new-study-estimates-more-than-900-000-people-have-died-of-covid-19-in-u-s

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/life/40000687

The Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines are both helpful in stimulating peoples immunity against Covid-19, Dr Yong Poovorawan, a senior virologist at Chulalongkorn University, said on Sunday.

They both have about 70% efficacy from what I've read...not sure exactly what that means is this context. If you get one of these vaccines, you're 70% less likely to die vs an unvaccinated person (mortality 1-2%). 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

PHUKET: The rush to roll out the mass vaccination of people using the Chinese-made Sinovac Biotech vaccine ‘CoronaVac’ has come home to roost in the Seychelles, the world-famous island tourist destination that Phuket officials have used as an example to follow.

This past week authorities in the Seychelles have ordered schools closed and a raft of other emergency provisions to try halt the spread of COVID-19 infections that has ripped through the island nation, which recorded close to 500 new cases in the three days to 1 May among a population of just under 100,000.

The same has happened in Chile and Turkey, which also both used the Sinovac vaccine for their mass-vaccination campaigns.

The is no reason to believe that Phuket will fare any better

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-falling-into-the-seychelles-sinovac-hole-79946.php

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

At one point in the UK the government announced in one of the daily briefings last year that they believe they're only detecting about 5% of cases with testing so they pretty much worked on the assumption that the real unknown number of infected was 20 times higher than those detected.

I suspect a problem in Thailand is that they believe they're finding either all or nearly all of the cases.

This is a flaw in their thinking. No public health expert will think this and they will for sure know the situation.

This years version of the virus appears to spread slightly faster (less than double) when compared to last years version which seems to be faster than they can contain it - so there will inevitably be a large scale outbreak.

We haven't seen a large scale outbreak in Thailand yet, it's still getting started.

Good analysis and I agree entirely, this will drag on for months yet, the very definition of a large scale outbreak.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Good analysis and I agree entirely, this will drag on for months yet, the very definition of a large scale outbreak.

You are saying that a lengthy wave of 2,000 infections per day is a large scale outbreak? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Danderman123 said:

You are saying that a lengthy wave of 2,000 infections per day is a large scale outbreak? 

I think we all know there's a lot more than 2000 per day, if there weren't then it wouldn't be sustained at this level for any period of time as everyone would be 'in hospital' already and unable to spread it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

I think we all know there's a lot more than 2000 per day, if there weren't then it wouldn't be sustained at this level for any period of time as everyone would be 'in hospital' already and unable to spread it.

So, you are saying that there is no need for the official numbers to increase, we are in a large scale outbreak already. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Figures are over-reported...many say the Thai numbers are under-reported...all we have to work with are the officially reported numbers so that's what I use when posting. Otherwise, everyone is just plucking numbers out of thin air.

"plucking numbers out of thin air."

"When in Rome............"

You must be new to the Thai way of doing things.

Edited by Enoon

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Thats exactly what I'm saying and while its at that high number it will remain a huge risk to the whole country, the possibility of it increasing is every bit as possible as it is to decrease.

Even if it can be contained to 3 digits daily over the next few months, the only thing stopping it will be vaccines.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thats exactly what I'm saying and while its at that high number it will remain a huge risk to the whole country, the possibility of it increasing is every bit as possible as it is to decrease.

Even if it can be contained to 3 digits daily over the next few months, the only thing stopping it will be vaccines.

I think we are in violent agreement: the prognosis for this wave is that the official numbers won't change much for a while. 

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Keep pushing that agenda you have of baiting people.  Stop already.  Agree to disagree with what's posted and guit trying to get someone to say what you want to hear.  You will see it when the large scale outbreak occurs, and this keeps dragging on ad infimum with it hovering around 2k cases a day and deaths in the double digits.  You keep thinking that this is slowly fading.  Only 70 million folks in Thailand and many more to affect before your heard immunity view maybe comes into reality.

I have been saying that the wave has flatlined for 2 weeks. 

Others have been saying that it's going to get worse. 

Today is the first time I am hearing that "worse" and "large scale outbreak" are the same as "the wave had flatlined". What you call "baiting" is just getting a definition of vague phrases from you. 

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You fail to comprehend what agreement is and seem to be forgetting the rising death toll reflected in those daily numbers, the sickness, suffering, economical damage its doing, this is already a major outbreak and getting worse by the day. 

I am painfully aware that the accumulation over time of a fixed number of new infections can have tragic results. 

I don't see any data indicating that this wave is going away. 

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I am painfully aware that the accumulation over time of a fixed number of new infections can have tragic results. 

I don't see any data indicating that this wave is going away. 

Happy to hear you've got your definitions in order, along with learning the basics of virus control and risk assessment, ie the potential for this to explode.

26 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I have been saying that the wave has flatlined for 2 weeks. 

Others have been saying that it's going to get worse. 

Today is the first time I am hearing that "worse" and "large scale outbreak" are the same as "the wave had flatlined". What you call "baiting" is just getting a definition of vague phrases from you. 

I have never used the term worsen or flat line. So let's get that straight first off.  If we are seeing cases staying where they are with the limited testing this will carry on ad- infimum.  It can either wain or grow.  It is a perspective when you look at the absence of mass testing and yet still having people dying outside of the hospitals like shown again last night on the news.  You think is decreasing we see it just the opposite. Agree to disagree and please stop trying to prove your right and others are wrong. It has nothing to do with right or wrong but with what is actually occurring.  I am the first to admit when I say something that's incorrect. I either retract what I say or apologize.  Stop the semantics game.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have never used the term worsen or flat line. So let's get that straight first off.  If we are seeing cases staying where they are with the limited testing this will carry on ad- infimum.  It can either wain or grow.  It is a perspective when you look at the absence of mass testing and yet still having people dying outside of the hospitals like shown again last night on the news.  You think is decreasing we see it just the opposite. Agree to disagree and please stop trying to prove your right and others are wrong. It has nothing to do with right or wrong but with what is actually occurring.  I am the first to admit when I say something that's incorrect. I either retract what I say or apologize.  Stop the semantics game.

“I have been saying that the wave has flatlined for 2 weeks. ”

There is nothing in that statement to indicate that I am saying that the wave will fade away. In fact, my position is clear: there is no data now that supports a spike or a decline.

Your position is that the wave will “wain or grow”. So, I guess, no matter what happens, you will say that your prediction was dead on.

• Sad 1

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/nine-student-nurses-suffer-side-effects-after-sinovac-vaccination/

Nine student nurses at Thammasat University have suffered side effects following inoculation with the Chinese-made Sinovac vaccine, According to the Student Organization of Thammasat University’s Facebook page.

• Like 1

not wanting to be negative/pessimist but hoping the India strain doesn't make it thru the cracks as it's a very bad/ deadly strain

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/a36232744/what-is-triple-mutant-variant-coronavirus/

One SARS-CoV-2 variant found in India has been dubbed the "triple mutant variant."

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/covids-new-epicentre-india-ravaged-by-double-mutant-strain-and-100000-new-cases-a-day/news-story/2648b497600c73d5e126335791164f58

As a “double mutant” strain of COVID and easing restrictions has seen daily cases top 100,000, India is now the new global epicentre for the virus.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/nine-student-nurses-suffer-side-effects-after-sinovac-vaccination/

Nine student nurses at Thammasat University have suffered side effects following inoculation with the Chinese-made Sinovac vaccine, According to the Student Organization of Thammasat University’s Facebook page.

That's not good.  We are seeing this happen with the younger folks.  This was interesting to see.

"Of the nine, seven suffered significant side effects, including breathing difficulties, fatigue, partial body numbness, dizziness, muscle pains, chest pains and facial spasms, while two others suffered mild effects, after 88 student nurses were given Sinovac jabs on April 23rd and May 5th."  9 of 88 vaccinated equates to 10% of those vaccinated showing side effects.  That in my book is huge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

just what to expect from anything/everything made in China.... have been posting about the Sinovac side effects, around the world, for the past 2-3 weeks, for that's not a surprise, should expect more to show up

• Like 1
  • Confused 1