Thailand reports over 2,101 COVID-19 cases, 17 new deaths

48 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

This post seems to be fear-mongering.   That is not a good thing for a public forum like TV.

The poster needs to provide more evidence that the COVID-29 is out of control in Thailand.

The poster's implication is that the Thai disease control authorities do not know what they are doing and are letting the epidemic get out of hand.

That is a debatable proposition and quite unfounded given the published data so far.

Read my post again and if you feel the same way then, you're interpretation of fear mongering and mine are obviously different. 

More than happy to agree to disagree.

As for this being a forum, you are perfectly correct and there is a little button titled block/ignore however I sense you'd rather keep following me so go ahead.

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

No one should be made a social pariah because of their opinons about the covid pandemic. But it's a different question as regards their actions. For example, what people who refuse to wear masks don't seem to understand is that the primary purpose of masks is to prevent others from being infected by the mask wearer. 'So, no, you  shouldn't have the right to jeopardize others by not wearing a mask. But if you're going to act in ways that jeopardize the health of others, then you should be treated as a pariah.

But if one expresses opinions that are blatantly false and lead others to dangerous inaction, then such a person's opinions should be criticized harshly.

18 minutes ago, placeholder said:

No one should be made a social pariah because of their opinons about the covid pandemic. But it's a different question as regards their actions. For example, what people who refuse to wear masks don't seem to understand is that the primary purpose of masks is to prevent others from being infected by the mask wearer. 'So, no, you  shouldn't have the right to jeopardize others by not wearing a mask. But if you're going to act in ways that jeopardize the health of others, then you should be treated as a pariah.

Lockdowns jeopardise the health of others so I guess by your reckoning we should treat people who support lockdowns as social pariahs along with those that enforce them.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mavideol said:

now let's just imagine what the mutant strain from India (considered 5-6 x stronger then the one from the UK) will do... we (they) are in for a roller coaster

It will get here eventually, so a fast vaccine rollout is of utmost important. But in the meantime, we can see how other countries deal with the Indian strain (have a source t show its 5-6 times stronger?) India is not really a good example. The relaxed and got caught short and have little in the way of medical care for millions of people in villages there. The situation is much worse than the official numbers are showing. I suspect the India variant will come across from Bangladesh through Myanmar to Thailand. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That is a statement I would like to believe, but am having trouble actually doing so.

I wouldn't mind paying double for the Moderna or Prfizer vaccines.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DavisH said:

It will get here eventually, so a fast vaccine rollout is of utmost important. But in the meantime, we can see how other countries deal with the Indian strain (have a source t show its 5-6 times stronger?) India is not really a good example. The relaxed and got caught short and have little in the way of medical care for millions of people in villages there. The situation is much worse than the official numbers are showing. I suspect the India variant will come across from Bangladesh through Myanmar to Thailand. 

You suspect it will come?  It's certain that it will come.  Absolutely 110 percent certain.  

Keep it out as long as you can, but it's coming.  

We have strains here, and they have overtaken the original COVID strain quite easily.  We are well over fifty percent, and give it another three months and it will be near 100 percent.  

7 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Whilst still extremely bad, it has been widely reported that deaths from covid have been over reported to some 25% due to the statistic been classed as "having died with covid within 28 days of a positive test. Early on in the pandemic if you had a positive test result and died 3 or 4 months later you went down as having died with covid, no one ever recovered from covid under the original reporting method.

Widely reported?

Uh huh.

Then I'm sure you'll have no problem supplying at least one credible source for that assertion. 

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ouch, that hurts.  See what happens when they decide to proactively test in Random areas. They find clusters.  How about checking further out next time like in Rangsit 

I remember Dr Yong back on the 8th April making a dire warning about this, many here would label him as fear mongering but he seems to have been correct.

Unfortunately he was ignored.

Thailand’s leading virologist 'scary assessment' of new COVID wave

Top Thai virologist Dr Yong Poovorawan painted a grim picture of the potential for harm from Thailand's Covid-19 response coupled with the emergence of the UK variant of the virus.

This year the situation was completely different.

He said that with ten times more virus about, ten times less restriction then things would be 100 times worse.

Of particular concern was the fact that many young people - perhaps full of the virus but asymptomatic - could be taking the virus back to their homes up country where they would pass it on to the vulnerable elderly at ceremonies pouring lustral water on the hands of respected elders. 

He was greatly concerned by the spread of Covid at Songkran and the consequences for the country after the holidays that begin next week.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1213013-thailand’s-leading-virologist-scary-assessment of-new-covid-wave/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

For those keeping score:

SinoPHARM above doesn't exist in Thailand right now and hasn't been approved here or in the U.S., despite the new WHO recommendation.

SinoVAC is the one the Thais have been using imported from China, but it  hasn't yet been approved as yet by either the WHO or the US FDA/CDC.

It's approval was based on the thickness of the envelopes 

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Widely reported?

Uh huh.

Then I'm sure you'll have no problem supplying at least one credible source for that assertion. 

Well I've been fairly vocal about the differences between dying "of" and "with" Covid, so I looked around, because yes it HAS been widely reported. 

I found this  https://fullfact.org/online/quarter-covid-death-certificate/ which I think and hope is a reputable  source. 

It refers to many of the "wide reports" and appears to show why this idea is both right and wrong depending upon how the figures are obtained and over what timescale.

I still stand by what I have said inasmuch as a person already dying from, say, advanced cancer, who then contracts Covid and dies of the cancer within 28 days, is reported as dying OF Covid, not WITH Covid.  That at least is how UK has been doing it.

That, in my (non-medical) opinion is misreporting and skewing the numbers.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, VBF said:

Well I've been fairly vocal about the differences between dying "of" and "with" Covid, so I looked around, because yes it HAS been widely reported. 

I found this  https://fullfact.org/online/quarter-covid-death-certificate/ which I think is a reputable  source .

It seems to show why this idea is both right and wrong depending upon how the figures are obtained and over what timescale.

I still stand by what I have said inasmuch as a person already dying from, say, advanced cancer, who then contracts Covid and dies of the cancer within 28 days, is reported as dying OF Covid, not WIT Covid. That, in my (non-medical) opinion is wrong.

This is so wrong. Your source refers to an issue in a locality which you're disingenuously projecting to a global pandemic. This reminds me of the plandemic denialist crowd making up ridiculous stories suggesting masses of people getting run over by cars are being recorded as virus deaths.

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is so wrong. Your source refers to an issue a locality which you're disingenuously projecting to a global pandemic. This reminds me of the plandemic denialist crowd making up ridiculous stories suggesting masses of people getting run over by cars recorded as virus deaths.

No Jingthing....did you read it all? It specifically states the following: (Paras 4 & 5) - my emphasis 

This is false. Reporting on this topic is based on the most recent Office for National Statistics (ONS) data, which covers the week ending 2 April 2021. 

This figure has been shared widely on social media without any caveats, which means many people are interpreting it as applying to the pandemic as a whole

A very different thing to the ridiculous conspiratorial claims you mentioned - and I am agreeing with you on that point..

I am no denier, believe me but I do wish to see accurate reporting.  Anything else merely fuels the conspiracists. 

Edited by VBF

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Oh please. Looking at this globally it's very obvious that virus deaths have been under counted not over counted. 

I don't dispute that but this particular discussion is revolving around the reporting methodology in the UK, which I am contending is incorrectly counted. That in a country where we should be able to get such things right given the available resources.

For sure the numbers are being underreported, in say, India, and probably also Brazil and The Philippines. 

For all I know (I don't) Thailand may be under-reporting as well....do YOU know for sure?

• Haha 1

If you contend the phenomenon of wrongfully included cases is "widely reported" you are giving it a scale that is far exaggerated.

Figures in Thailand could be lower than the putative true figure because of overly exclusive classification, deliberate fabrication or suppression of data, or the latency of data.

I don't give the first two serious consideration. Latency of data however could be a factor.

35 minutes ago, VBF said:

I don't dispute that but this particular discussion is revolving around the reporting methodology in the UK, which I am contending is incorrectly counted. That in a country where we should be able to get such things right given the available resources.

For sure the numbers are being underreported, in say, India, and probably also Brazil and The Philippines. 

For all I know (I don't) Thailand may be under-reporting as well....do YOU know for sure?

We know from excess mortality figures that covid deaths are being undercounted.

https://voxeu.org/article/excess-mortality-england-european-outlier-covid-19-pandemic

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

We haven't seen a large scale outbreak in Thailand yet, it's still getting started.

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't know why, but it feels like any day now there's going to be another sudden upleg.

7 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Lockdowns jeopardise the health of others so I guess by your reckoning we should treat people who support lockdowns as social pariahs along with those that enforce them.

A spoilt child could have the same type of argument. I feel mentally stressed because my mummy doesn't allow me to eat ice cream to dinner every day.

Those types of arguments doesn't allow some people to kill other people. Eat it! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This reminds me of the plandemic denialist crowd making up ridiculous stories suggesting masses of people getting run over by cars are being recorded as virus deaths.

Then you'll have no problem providing an example of a poster "suggesting masses of people getting run over by cars are being recorded as virus deaths."From memory I think there was one example of someone being run over and being counted as a covid fatality.I don't remember masses of them.I think your embellishments need a little polish.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeyIdea said:

Those types of arguments doesn't allow some people to kill other people. Eat it! 

Sorry what type of arguments allow some people to kill others?Do you mean that people die during a lockdown because of the lockdown?I'm not not sure I follow your argument.Those that want to lockdown can lockdown and you'll be safe those that don't want to do lock downs will take the risk of living normally in a risky dangerous  world.Your choice.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

7 hours ago, VBF said:

I found this  https://fullfact.org/online/quarter-covid-death-certificate/ which I think and hope is a reputable  source. 

It refers to many of the "wide reports" and appears to show why this idea is both right and wrong depending upon how the figures are obtained and over what timescale.

I still stand by what I have said inasmuch as a person already dying from, say, advanced cancer, who then contracts Covid and dies of the cancer within 28 days, is reported as dying OF Covid, not WITH Covid.  That at least is how UK has been doing it.

That, in my (non-medical) opinion is misreporting and skewing the numbers.

The overnight reports in the UK indeed will list someone as a Covid death if they test positive from Covid, and then die from something else, within 28 days.

And then comes the long process of issuing the death certificate where the actual cause of death is determined. This process results in changes to the totals of Covid deaths, but it takes time.

However, how many get a Covid test, and then die from something else within 28 days?  Normally, that’s a 28 in a million possibility.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, VBF said:

You are confusing the overnight data with the slower process of issuing death certificates. 

• Like 1