Move abroad? You’re ‘avin a laff! Rooster’s top ten reasons to stay in Thailand

rooster59

Very weak, ephemeral reasons.

Seeing the way this covid thing is being managed I'm once again looking at options (with wife).

Obvious we rank little better than farm animals.

Can't imagine if something like Ebola hit.

• Like 1

'Don’t let Thai language be a hindrance to living in the country and never listen to those who say it is too hard or too late to learn. With a little effort Thai is easy to master'

What has Thais leaving the country got to do with learning Thai? they already have! Obviously sarcasm, it is NOT easy, I should know been at it since 1994 and still can't string a sentence together. ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

My understanding is that the woman he was charged with assaulting/trying to kill back in Colorado is the same woman who ended up getting murdered in Nan. My understanding is that her return to Thailand and refusal to testify against him is the reason charges against him were dropped.

It's pretty obvious in hindsight that neither of them seem to have had a good handle on the character and temperament of the other. Language barriers can often mask significant incompatibilities, which in the excitement of whirlwind holiday romances, overseas travel opportunities, houses being built and cars being bought, or, from the man's point of view, the excitement of marrying an attractive younger woman, there's often a tendency to overlook these differences until it's too late. I would argue that's the core issue, not how carefully immigration screens incoming tourists.

Ah, the plot thickens. How did you come by this information may I ask. Was it on Thaivisa?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

'Don’t let Thai language be a hindrance to living in the country and never listen to those who say it is too hard or too late to learn. With a little effort Thai is easy to master'

What has Thais leaving the country got to do with learning Thai? they already have! Obviously sarcasm, it is NOT easy, I should know been at it since 1994 and still can't string a sentence together. ????

On the contrary Thai is one of the easiest languages in the world to master, especially with all the help one gets from Thais and opportunities to speak that are so appreciated. Anyone who hasn't learned it hasn't really tried. They miss so much. Please try again, seriously this time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WineOh said:

Agree.

I've read a few of Roosters editorials and he doesn't half waffle on!

Never forgetting to remind us that he plays Scrabble every day.

Who gives? lol.

Millions of people around the world now play Scrabble online. The Scrabble grandmaster is the new rock star. Women go weak at the knees at the thought of someone who can anagram.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

The Scrabble grandmaster is the new rock star. Women go weak at the knees at the thought of someone who can anagram.

good one mate! ???? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Thailand is still a nice place to stay

for a holiday.. I’m a tourist.... 5 separate months a year... 6/7 years ...and love it ...Separate months ? ... because 30 days in something goes bang in my psyche ! .... GTFOOH.... as in get the...out of here !  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

You did not say Foreigners again, did you?

How about : Everyone should learn to speak Thai.   

I'd really be impressed if you said everyone should become Thai literate. 

There is no place called Foreignland. 

There is no place called : Farangland. 

Let's help our fellow residents and neighbor's know and appreciate the wonderful diversity and nationalities of the planet.

Let's share our culture with the People of Thailand and surrounding South East Asia countries. 

Again : There is no place called the land of farang or land of foreigners. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Bradmeister said:

You did not say Foreigners again, did you?

How about : Everyone should learn to speak Thai.   

I'd really be impressed if you said everyone should become Thai literate. 

There is no place called Foreignland. 

There is no place called : Farangland. 

Let's help our fellow residents and neighbor's know and appreciate the wonderful diversity and nationalities of the planet.

Let's share our culture with the People of Thailand and surrounding South East Asia countries. 

Again : There is no place called the land of farang or land of foreigners. 

Those two places do exist. They are small areas just outside a hub. In those two places everyone is rich, has a big house and car.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, rumak said:

i understand your points as well .   But let's face it ..... the world is really screwed up !

Walking down the street in Thailand I have NEVER felt the hostility ( not talking tourist red zones)  that i feel in the US.    Maybe some western countries are better.  My thai born daughter likes Canada.   

Everywhere,  like is a learning curve.  I can not change the world,  but what i have learnt in Thailand HAS enabled me to relate to much of the OPs  points

Precisely what hostility did you "feel" in the us and where were you? Details please 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WineOh said:

I've never been 'attacked' by a ladyboy in Pattaya.

never been there long enough for it to happen. What a dump.

A ladyboy attempted to mug me in Phuket a long time ago.

I felt his hand go in my pocket, I grabbed hold of it and smacked it square in the jaw.

It ran off, crying like a baby. 

'It'?

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Here eleven years now, no problems with Thais to speak of.

Most of my problems have been with Caucasians.

According to God you and I still newbies ????  At the age he first came here I was busy serving Queen & Country, in other words doing something useful with my life, not pontificating about how bloody good I am.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, RobMuir said:

That is millions a fat ugly women.

You would need beer goggles on to get through them.

While on the subject of Ollie.  About 40 years ago I lived in the same town as Ollie.

I took my then wife out for a meal at a restaurant and Mr Reed was in there with a few of his mates.  I think there was about 2 tables left  , Mr Reed and his mates had all the other tables put together , as we walked in he said ' Shush , we have company '.  The noise continued with his mob then he sent a bottle of wine to our table as an appology . 

Another story for another day was a charity football match , his side had ' Reed's raiders ' football shirts on.  They all came out carrying pints.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BostonRob2 said:

On the contrary Thai is one of the easiest languages in the world to master, especially with all the help one gets from Thais and opportunities to speak that are so appreciated. Anyone who hasn't learned it hasn't really tried. They miss so much. Please try again, seriously this time. 

Tones are anything but easy, cant' even differentiate them- help from Thais is usually mai kow jai! I don't think I've missed much at all except a lot of earache!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Namtak said:

Precisely what hostility did you "feel" in the us and where were you? Details please 

oh boy ........   one of these guys .       while i am here,  what does Namtak mean ?   any relation to  kee tak ?

BTW,  you can add spidermike's list of common characteristics found in the US :

" You just do not find that in the US, where most seem bitter, disenchanted, unfulfilled, and heavy hearted. It is ridiculously hard to get the average American to laugh. And I can be quite funny. "

Edited by rumak
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Thailand is still a nice place to stay

but not as good as it was in the past

and it's worse year after year

you're gettin old !   555    move me back 15 years and life was goooooood.  

sorry, don't know your age.   but damn, mine sure snuck up on me .  and it ain't  sanook 

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1