Health Insurance

I am planning to go the the UK in September this year to visit my family and will hopefully return early November.

I am aware of the requirements to be able to return but I am unsure of the need for Health Insurance.   I have read the RTE London instruction ( re para 7) which states that 40/400K health insurance is required for O/O - O/A visas.    However my local Immigration office have told me that as my yearly extension is based on Non Immigrant O, that apart from Covid 100,000 US$ I DO NOT REQUIRE to have health Insurance and that the RTE London blog para 7 relates to NEW applicants only.

There was an exchange of opinions in April on this matter beween Unon Joe and OP JMN.  UJ was of the opinion that health insurance was a requirement whereas JMN said he had confirmation from a named Thai official at the RTE London that it was not a requirement for returnees.

Perhaps the answer is dependant on the interpretation of the requirement by the respective RTE embassy.

I have always personally funded my own health even when living in UK, never used the NHS, and at 83 do not want to change.

Whilst respecting the contributions of both UJ and JMN, I would be grateful to hear the actual on the ground experience, both with RTE London and Immigration at Suvarnabhumi Airport from any one who like me is the holder of a Non Immigrant O extension, when returning to Thailand.   Was a health insurance 40/400K a requirement.  Third party reports not required.

I can't answer your question as to requirement. But I can tell you that at age 83 you cannot get insured by any of the "approved" Thai companies. So if the 400/40k policy it is being required for return on a re-entry permit make sure before you go that (1) the Embassy will accept foreign policy and (2) that you can get insured by a foreign company willing to sign the required certificate.

Otherwise you could end up back in the UK for a lot longer than you planned....

Another option if you can't defer your trip would be to let your permission to stay expire (or not get a re-entry permit if you don't currently have one)  and return either visa exempt or on a Tourist visa, then change to a non-O incountry and apply for new one year extension.

Thai re-entry requirements could well change between now and November, as could English entry requirements between now and September (assuming that England is to be your destination rather than any other part of the UK) - for the better or the worse in either case depending on how things pan out. In these circumstances I would, if I were in your shoes, not be considering a trip back to visit my family at the present time, unless there were pressing reasons for doing so.

As far as entering England is concerned, I take it that you are aware that Thailand is currently in the amber list - meaning, among other things, that you will, as things stand, need to quarantine at the place where you will be staying for 10 days:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list

Edited by OJAS

OJAS.   Yes i am fully aware of the 10 day quarantine at home.  No problem.  Should Thailand go onto the RED list at a future date, the trip will be postponed.

I want to go to get vaccinated as I have no confidence that it will be possible anytime soon here.

May I enquire if your married to a Thai and have an extension of stay based on marriage.

It does make a difference regarding the Health Insurance requirement.

53 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

I want to go to get vaccinated as I have no confidence that it will be possible anytime soon here.

At 83, you'll be vaccinated in Thailand before your planned travel.

Have some confidence.

from OP Tanoshi:

'May I enquire if your married to a Thai and have an extension of stay based on marriage.

It does make a difference regarding the Health Insurance requirement'

Answe/Question: I am married to a Thai National and I have a Non Immigrant O visa based on marriage issued inThailand,  plus a  yellow book and a Pink ID Card.  This changes the necessity for General Health Cover?

I note on another thread on the same subject, General Health Cove rwas not required to get a COE from RTE London. 

Many thanks

12 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

May I enquire if your married to a Thai and have an extension of stay based on marriage.

It does make a difference regarding the Health Insurance requirement'

You only need the $100,000 covid 19 insurance valid for your length of stay.

The 40/400K bhat medical is insurance is not required in your case.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Answe/Question: I am married to a Thai National and I have a Non Immigrant O visa based on marriage issued inThailand,  plus a  yellow book and a Pink ID Card.  This changes the necessity for General Health Cover?

Yes.

It is not a requirement when entering Thailand either on a Non O Visa or extension with re-entry permit if they were obtained by reason of marriage to a Thai.

Your wife is your Health carer. ????