Testing clinic for urinalysis

allencraig

Just now, allencraig said:

I am looking for a urologist now. I'll look through this forum as well (I wish the search function worked), but if you have a suggestion at your fingertips, please feel free to offer him or her. Thanks for all your help.

There are several very good ones at Bumrungrad but I have the impression you have limited finances. If so, you may need to go to a government hospital. Ramathibodhi has a good urology department, go through their Premium Clinic https://med.mahidol.ac.th/qsmc/th/service/premium_clinic-th

(Going through the public channel will take forever).

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There are several very good ones at Bumrungrad but I have the impression you have limited finances. If so, you may need to go to a government hospital. Ramathibodhi has a good urology department, go through their Premium Clinic https://med.mahidol.ac.th/qsmc/th/service/premium_clinic-th

(Going through the public channel will take forever).

Your impression is correct. ???? I've been to Ramathibodi Premium and it seems they've combined admin processes of a government hospital with the pricing of a premium. But they've been very nice and helpful so I consider them a good "non-Bumrungrad" choice, so thanks for the confirmation on that.

32 minutes ago, allencraig said:

Your impression is correct. ???? I've been to Ramathibodi Premium and it seems they've combined admin processes of a government hospital with the pricing of a premium. But they've been very nice and helpful so I consider them a good "non-Bumrungrad" choice, so thanks for the confirmation on that.

Their urology dept is tops. If possible see Assoc.Prof.Dr. Kittinut Kijvikai

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Kijvikai

In my quick research that's the Dr. I've been focusing on. But Ramathibodi's website is terrible. I don't see any way to search for a doctor or even department.

I'm coincidentally going to Ramathibodi Premium either tomorrow or Thursday for an unrelated need in a different department, so I'll ask for someone's help while there. A high consultation fee I can handle, but if it comes to needing scans or x-rays Bumrungrad will kill me.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, allencraig said:

I am looking for a urologist now. I'll look through this forum as well (I wish the search function worked), but if you have a suggestion at your fingertips, please feel free to offer him or her. Thanks for all your help.

As one who had blood in urine (mostly after exercise so waited a bit as this seems to be common) urge you to get it checked as it could be a life saver (I had serious bladder cancer and required bladder removal).  Believe first check likely to be ultrasound which not too expensive and not unpleasant.  If bad news next likely a bit less pleasant but not too bad and outpatient procedure.  But we are talking worst case - for many it may just be a minor issue - but that needs to be determined ASAP.

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As one who had blood in urine (mostly after exercise so waited a bit as this seems to be common) urge you to get it checked as it could be a life saver (I had serious bladder cancer and required bladder removal).  Believe first check likely to be ultrasound which not too expensive and not unpleasant.  If bad news next likely a bit less pleasant but not too bad and outpatient procedure.  But we are talking worst case - for many it may just be a minor issue - but that needs to be determined ASAP.

Yes, very good advice, Thanks. I hope to be in front of a urologist by week's end. 

I'm trying to stay hopeful about my blood being exercise-related, as I tend to push myself during my regular exercise routine. But I've done this my whole life so I would have thought I wouldn't cause internal damage (although I havn't been 55-years-old my whole life!)

Sorry to hear of your bladder cancer, btw. But glad you caught it.

On 5/9/2021 at 6:22 PM, tonray said:

Dark Brown may indicate liver failure....go ASAP

Or cancer, or prostate problems ....

If it were liver failure you'd probably have yellow skin and discoloured whites of your eyes.

I've had the same symptoms for over a year, decided it's bladder cancer, and choose to remain untreated. Oddly my condition doesn't appear to be progressing (a year later I thought I'd be dead). The more I exercise the redder it gets, then when I stop exercising it goes away ......... classic bladder tumour symptoms.

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Or cancer, or prostate problems ....

If it were liver failure you'd probably have yellow skin and discoloured whites of your eyes.

...or Kidney or bladder stones or tumor, rhabdomyolysis (muscle damage), Hemophilia, Polycystic kidney disease (cysts), sickle cell disease, or viral hepatitis... 

Yes, I'm sufficiently worried! (No Jaundice, though.) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allencraig said:

...or Kidney or bladder stones or tumor, rhabdomyolysis (muscle damage), Hemophilia, Polycystic kidney disease (cysts), sickle cell disease, or viral hepatitis... 

Yes, I'm sufficiently worried! (No Jaundice, though.) 

I think you can rule out .......

Liver failure ......... always jaundice, especially in the whites of the eyes.

Viral hepatitis ...... the blood would be the same dark colour all the time.

Sickle cell ..... only for people of African ethnic origin.

Kidney/Bladder stones you'd know as they're very painful.

Hemophilia ....... normally runs in the family.

Kidney failure ...... you'd probably produce less urine and have swollen legs/ankles.

Bladder cancer is the favourite ..... but as I said I've had no progression for over a year.

And I'd choose death over life without a bladder.

Good luck anyway!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And I'd choose death over life without a bladder.

They have man made options these days - but even the old bag system has perks - no trips to the CR at night.  

On 5/10/2021 at 1:48 PM, Susco said:

Why you need a quote for an urinalysis, just calling them would confirm the price.

Of course 150 Baht does not include any additional tests, like there are urine culture or other requirements.

I had an urinalysis at Phramongkutklao (the army) hospital last week.  60 baht. 

Don't pay more than 150 at an outside clinic, 200 baht tops.

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Assoc.Prof.Dr. Kittinut Kijvikai

Through my psychology department contact at Ramathibodhi Premium, I was able to get an appointment with "Dr. kritsanda" in their urology dept. I didn't have a choice, but was told there are only two doctors who see foreigners there, and this doctor is one of them. So I guess I'll see..

14 hours ago, allencraig said:

There is a (closed) thread on urologists on here started by Cheryl, but it's 5 years old now so may not be too helpful.

Might be worth a quick browse though.  

Good luck with your investigations.  I'm interested in the outcome.

17 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

There is a (closed) thread on urologists on here started by Cheryl, but it's 5 years old now so may not be too helpful.

Might be worth a quick browse though.  

Good luck with your investigations.  I'm interested in the outcome.

Yes, I'd checked this. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allencraig said:

...Got switched to "Dr. Visoot", if that name rings a bell w/ anyone..

Assoc. Prof. Wisoot Kongchareonsombat

Seems to have sub-specialty in urologic cancers

Had published a fair bit in itnernational journals

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Assoc. Prof. Wisoot Kongchareonsombat

Seems to have sub-specialty in urologic cancers

Had published a fair bit in itnernational journals

I KNEW I was spelling it wrong! Thanks so much for that info.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is following and interested: CT scan showed my previously diagnosed .6mm kidney stone (that's point 6) has grown to a full 7mm and has left the station and started to make it's way down my uretha. It might be stuck, or it might be moving down slowly. Either way it's causing pain in my lower trunk area and further south...

Dr. Wisoot was very nice, accomodating and helpful and appropriately recommended shockwave treatment to break down the stone. (45000 at Ramathibodi fyi.) Although I agree with the treatment, I'm choosing a wait-and-see approach for a month first while drinking gallons of water and running a bit more flat-footed than usual to see if I can entice it to pass on it's own.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, allencraig said:

In case anyone is following and interested: CT scan showed my previously diagnosed .6mm kidney stone (that's point 6) has grown to a full 7mm and has left the station and started to make it's way down my uretha. It might be stuck, or it might be moving down slowly. Either way it's causing pain in my lower trunk area and further south...

Dr. Wisoot was very nice, accomodating and helpful and appropriately recommended shockwave treatment to break down the stone. (45000 at Ramathibodi fyi.) Although I agree with the treatment, I'm choosing a wait-and-see approach for a month first while drinking gallons of water and running a bit more flat-footed than usual to see if I can entice it to pass on it's own.

At 7mm you have about a 60% chance of being able to pass it.

https://www.ajronline.org/doi/10.2214/ajr.178.1.1780101

Suggest you stock up on a bit of tramadol at home, could get very unpleasant on the way out.

BTW I think you meant to say ureter not urethra...?

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

ureter

Yup! I mean ureter! ????

Unfortunately, opiods make me really nauseous. I have a piece of ol' leather I'll chew on if it gets bad. If it's good enough for John Wayne, it's good enough for me. (That's realistic, right?)

2 hours ago, allencraig said:

Yup! I mean ureter! ????

Unfortunately, opoids make me really nauseous. I have a piece of ol' leather I'll chew on if it gets bad. If it's good enough for John Wayne, it's good enough for me. (That's realistic, right?)

Might not be.

I have the same problem with opoids.  Try taking with an antiemetic like Plasil.

Just now, allencraig said:

Hm. Never heard of this drug. Aside from the potential side effects, It'd be great if it allowed me to take opiods for severe pain. Thanks.

it's an antiemetic. Generic is Metoclopramide.

Ondanestron is another alternative but plasil is cheaper and works for me. But if it does nto work for you then try ondanestron.

It is indeed a problem, when I've had surgery I've had to insist on doses of antiemetic every time I accepted pain medication.

I would not recommend chewing on leather to relieve the pain accosianted with passing a kidney stone. It starts like it's nothing, but grows with intensity and goes on for hours. 

I ended up driving 200km at three in the morning to get to the hospital....

I thought the initial nausea of opiates was a sign of good things to come....

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I thought the initial nausea of opiates was a sign of good things to come....

Not for some of us. It is a lot more than initial nausea, it is severe vomiting and feeling overall horrible, and for hours.

I absolutely cannot tolerate opiates  except with anti-emetics (and lots of prunes). I find the side effects otherwise intolerable.  If it is not severe pain, I'd much rather go without.  I have never experienced any sort of  good feeling associated with them. At best - if the GI effects can be controlled - pain relief and maybe fall asleep. I really dread situations where I might need them.

People differ in their response to drugs,. Obviously there are many people whose bodies respond very differently, there'd be zero opiate abuse in the world if everyone was like me & the OP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not for some of us. It is a lot more than initial nausea, it is severe vomiting and feeling overall horrible, and for hours.

I absolutely cannot tolerate opiates  except with anti-emetics (and lots of prunes). I find the side effects otherwise intolerable.  If it is not severe pain, I'd much rather go without.  I have never experienced any sort of  good feeling associated with them. At best - if the GI effects can be controlled - pain relief and maybe fall asleep. I really dread situations where I might need them.

People differ in their response to drugs,. Obviously there are many people whose bodies respond very differently, there'd be zero opiate abuse in the world if everyone was like me & the OP.

Sorry, that was a joke accosianted with how I ended up with hep-c....