How Much, in hard Cash, do you Contribute to the Thai Economy Each Year? Ex Tax.

How much? Plenty , over 20 plus years a staggering amount. It does not matter. Despite the articles about attracting wealthy foreigners and governments macro level desires most Thai don't want many westerners living here. This won't change change and thus anything short of PR is a temporary visitor who must meet the dynamic requirements to enter, or stay. Even PR were denied entry for a while due to the virus. Most expats in Thailand need a plan B regardless of yearly spend. For many I would be concerned mandatory but unmeetable health insurance requirements will be the last nail in the coffin of Thailand retirement dreams.

So, what's in your bug out bag?

Good morning,

When the decision was made to move to Thailand, priorities were:

1. International school for the daughter.

2. Private Health Insurance.

If I can't afford this, just stay home.

Private school runs at around 800k a year. This includes school fees, school bus, lunch, ECA's, trips abroad such as India or to Phuket to represent the school in sports events.

My private health insurance runs at 52k (just renewed 2 weeks ago).

Excluding school and health insurance, 70-80k a month gives a decent lifestyle including driving 1 car, local holidays, eating out. Not a heavy drinker though.

One side of the coin is expats not having a lot of funds to spend for whatever reason.

A different issue, as per an interesting story in today's news in Australia, is  about people who retire but don't use much of their superannuation or other savings. The idea is that they are so careful about having enough to live off in retirement, and so used to scrimping and saving for their retirement, when they retire they just keep up that lifestyle and just leave much of their super to the next generation.

I wonder if there are expats who could be spending more but are so used to being cheap charlies or just being careful that there spend is fairly low..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

One side of the coin is expats not having a lot of funds to spend for whatever reason.

A different issue, as per an interesting story in today's news in Australia, is  about people who retire but don't use much of their superannuation or other savings. The idea is that they are so careful about having enough to live off in retirement, and so used to scrimping and saving for their retirement, when they retire they just keep up that lifestyle and just leave much of their super to the next generation.

I wonder if there are expats who could be spending more but are so used to being cheap charlies or just being careful that there spend is fairly low..

I had a sister who through being thrifty saved well, had a nice house but in the end didn't enjoy her money as I had wished before she passed. Me I'm about a happy medium.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

The very best compared to what? Tesco?

I miss buying shredded pastrami, not slices but shredded with havati cheese on a nice multi grain bread. The Makro in Pattaya has a large selection of all deli meats but all sold in little plastic containers, along with a large selection of cheeses. This is one diet that can increase your monthly spending. I refuse to pay these high prices except on occasion. Some who spend large in Thailand are doing so keeping up their western standards. If they have the funds more power to them, their choice.

• Thanks 1