How Much, in hard Cash, do you Contribute to the Thai Economy Each Year? Ex Tax.

12 hours ago, Pilotman said:

because you are all strangers. Don't know you, don't care to share that kind of  detail with the whole world.   Keep it general.  

Then why even bring the subject up ? You are quite prepared to claim you are a big spender, but now you want to go all shy. It is a rather crass topic, IMHO.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

So a country should welcome in criminals, drug dealers, scammers and human traffickers with no questions asked just because they spend $1500 a week?

what a strange remark, whoever said that it was cash only and no questions asked, I didn't.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Then why even bring the subject up ? You are quite prepared to claim you are a big spender, but now you want to go all shy. It is a rather crass topic, IMHO.

No sorry, I don't follow that logic, if it is logic. Read my OP again, its about the granting of extensions to visas. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Again FUNNY GUY!!!

you write about how your "wealth" or spending habits should buy you privilege then say it is not a posting about money... 

but it has provided some interesting quibbling amongst posters... 

and for a Sunday, that is what it was intended to do. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Susco said:

Maybe I wasn't all clear about what I had in mind. Of course there is nothing wrong with answering how much your car or motorbike cost, since those prices are actually public anyway.

If someone asks how much I spent to built my nice house with pool etc., that is a completely different matter, and actually nobodies business. I will never ask such a question either to someone.

But when I see people feeling the need to start a thread about how much they spend every year, or people repeatedly posting in other threads in detail how much they paid for their luxury car, however nobody asked for it, then I know who I'm dealing with.

On the internet, you can be anything you want.

Sometimes it's interesting to know how much things cost - which can't be easily looked up somewhere.

I.e. if I see someone with something special maybe I ask him something like: Do you mind asking me how much that cost?

Sometimes people (want to) tell, sometimes not. No problem if they don't want to talk about it. Sometime things are a lot more expensive then I thought and sometimes a lot cheaper. It can be interesting. 

• Like 1

I must go and thrash my serfs, they don't seem to be working hard enough, but its hard to tell at this distance  from my 50 bed mansion to their work place, must be all of 2km. I know, I'll send my Butler, or my Valet,  to tell them to get motoring, or they will lose their 100 Baht a day salary. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Apologies for reporting in late. Just taken me hours to find all my receipts for the last year. Anyway I get to 28,519 baht 75 satang.

There may be some extra to that as the girls down Cowboy don't always give me a receipt which I find annoying as it means I'm unable to record it on my UK Self Assessment as a recoverable business expense.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PGSan said:

The only one of these three whom I have known at all well: he always seemed to me to be a normally happy person.  

Do you have other information about his welfare? 

The divorce can't be making him happy after 25 years with the same woman.

spend 1314252  per year Earn 1826184 so on the right side out of that 152230 per year is health cover  74 years young I employ one full time worker 5.5 days per week run 2 cars have 4 dogs 7 cats and a partner own our own home

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Can you not just take the underground rapid transit subway you had installed this past month, or is that not up and running yet.  I mean with that you could possibly get a lifetime Extension of stay, i mean right?  Asking for a friend

that would mean moving too much .  What's the pint in having zillions in the bank if you have to move from your chair. 

• Like 1

I dont go over B600,000 since the new scam minimum banked cash order was enforced.

It irks me that a million baht a year is, for my spending patterns, a mandatory minimum to satisfy absurd seasoning rules, and the 400,000 floor on spending. makes little sense, as the money is supposed to be for spending, and are they not actually pleading for Thais to spend more right now? 

I am seriously considering a marriage visa, as my girl has been with me for years, and though that relairionship has been volatile, as they can be, when the dust settles, her overall integrity has not raised any alarm bells. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, PGSan said:

How do you know about people’s happiness? 

Thai couple,

He keeps coming round to complain about his wife.

She keeps coming round to complain about her husband.

Johnny Depp,

His last 3 years have been fighting with a woman who poops in his bed and cuts his finger off.

But you're right maybe he likes that stuff.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Over 3 million, for a family of 4. Was hoping I'd be able to save; no way. Isaan is expensive, probably more that Pattaya, when you take the whores and booze out of the picture.

Genuinely curious, whats driving your costs in isaan that make it pricier than Pattaya? I presume your comment compares both places, minus the wine women and song.

Having said that, when I had a domestic vacay in 2018 in Pattaya at Songkran, I was amazed to learn that a week at my tourist-class hotel on Soi 8 with hot breakfast included, cost LESS than weekly rent for an unfurnished unit in Sydney.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

Geez no idea what some people spend cash on after reading a few pages of this thread lol.

Just the wife and me, no kids or family-spongers, both retired, no rent, cheap utilities, cheap wifi, car won in lottery 4 years go so minimal expense now, don't go far.

I am lucky if I spend 20k a month and that would include a montly trip to BigC/Makro around once a month, and food from several mail order suppliers. Occasional purchase like fridge etc.

What we did spend pre-covid were regular monthly holidays to Hua Hin or Pattaya but since these have all stopped for a year now I am actually saving to the bank every month. I transfer to Krung Thai and, well, it stays in Krung Thai. I now have about 100k waiting for the next holiday, it will be a good one! Helped by the recent exchange rate.

Never been a cheap Charlie, but I have everything I need, and so does the wife.

When you order food online (mail-order) is that foreign brands? I ask because Im a bit tired of paying +$10 for breakfast cereal. Though with the baht tanking that will not get better. It seems up or down, we cant freaking win!

We have no rent/mortgge, eat or order out at least 3 times a week, enjoy about 1-2K worth of wine a month so 2-3 bottles 555. Fly or drive about every 2-3 months for short breaks, And I agree that the monthly retirement requirement of B65K more than covers both our expenses with 20K or so to spare.

• Thanks 2

I've got a company here for over a decade, with 10 fulltime Thai employees. I am paying Corporate Tax, Personal Income Tax, VAT (which is collected from customers), and Social Security for all my staff, it would be over 2mb per year I guess.

I can't complain too much, as business has largely been good all this time, but still every year hassle with the visa every year. Long term I plan to move back home and if need be close the business / move the operations, see how it goes.

• Thanks 1

It kind of sounds like we’re talking essentially about the amount of tax/excise/fee revenue does the government get…. 

IF that’s the sole metric, then I think there’s a few things to note… first, while most everything you’d buy domestically includes the current VAT at 7%… but to be more accurate and fair, there are some types of purchases that are taxed at a lower to zero VAT rate and many other purchases that are taxed (to include excise/duty and the like) at much much higher rates…   

so, for example 1MM spent at traditional stores might take in close to 7% +/-, reflecting the normal 7% VAT…  but if someone else were to also spend 1MM, but do so on goods that are taxed at much higher rates, now the governments tax income would be much higher on the same 1MM level. 

Also, i also assume the government would be keen to attract people who do both SPEND their money here (again, that’s the VAT and other excise taxes) but ALSO those that EARN money here as that’s usually subject to some level of Thai income taxation (assuming over the taxation threshold nett of the various statutory deductions)

so, while a foreigner simply spending 1MM or 2MM + annually IS a good thing from a government tax income basis, i think there’s other metrics to look at (like a non-citizen EARNING 1MM or 2MM) that might make someone a bit more appealing—  IF the criteria is just how much does the government receive in direct taxation of economic activity.