How Much, in hard Cash, do you Contribute to the Thai Economy Each Year? Ex Tax.

45 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Alcohol is about 12,000 per month

So, after car insurance - utilities and university of your kids and the dogs,  probably 50% of your expenses goes to alcohol consumption?

And I thought I had to slow down my average 500 Baht a week alcohol consumption, as I considered myself an alcoholic consuming that much.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Susco said:

Glad to hear that in Massachusetts all the above-mentioned is free, and you don't need to pay property and a truck load of other taxes either.

Maybe we should all move there?

Not to mention the weather.

My son lived there for awhile hated it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Susco said:

And I thought I had to slow down my average 500 Baht a week alcohol consumption, as I considered myself an alcoholic consuming that much

I have never considered myself an alcoholic, yet I would regularly consume one bottle of red wine per night with my evening meal, although I have cut that down to about half a bottle now, followed by a tipple of sweet wine or Portuguese port.

I don't normally drink beer and I don't go and sit at barstools all night, or afternoon, although once a week in the evening with friends is very likely.

I remember having discussions over many years with my doctor/surgeon in NZ, as to my red wine intake, and he was not worried about it unduly, but did suggest cutting back on the port!"

Although getting back on subject, I suppose my annual wine bill used to be about 180,000 baht, but less now that I've cut back a little.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Although getting back on subject, I suppose my annual wine bill used to be about 180,000 baht, but less now that I've cut back a little.

But knowing the poster I replied to his post history, his bill doesn't reach that level by consuming 1000 Baht bottles of wine. ????

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have never considered myself an alcoholic, yet I would regularly consume one bottle o

Let me know , when you have a party ..

Drinking alone , is not good for your health ....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Just premium car insurance is 20k baht a year. If you have a couple to few vehicles then that is 40-60. I have 3 within the family so just alone right there is 5000 per month.

Nobody forces you to buy 'premium car insurance'.

My pickup government minimum car insurance is 900bht a year.

45 minutes ago, Susco said:

So, after car insurance - utilities and university of your kids and the dogs,  probably 50% of your expenses goes to alcohol consumption?

And I thought I had to slow down my average 500 Baht a week alcohol consumption, as I considered myself an alcoholic consuming that much.

No that is not all the expenses. I Drink about every other day + and it is good alcohol, but it can be a good sitting as I like to drink and play music at night and go outside and star gaze. Nice scotch, decent wine, and primarily a decent beer. The expenses sort of yo-yo when certain things like the schools etc are due and the kids need money for gas and food everyday when going to study everyday. With CV-19 we have been able just recently to come down from a lot. It still hasn’t balanced out as there are normally extra special studies and piano lessons for the daughter. As stated we were about 120k+ and now with extra restrictions and such as things we are putting out less. Also no friends from the USA are visiting me. More lower costs. I have also not travelled which costs. I have somethings I send out from here to usa that watch over. Ultimately if can keep it at 60k all around that would be fine. BTW. And the wifey is pressuring me to spread the booze out to maybe every 3-4 days which is not unreasonable. Now with everything zeroed let’s see what can happen. All recently new territory now to spend less.

Pilotman,,,,why should it be recognized ? Did they drag you kicking & screaming to come & live here?

When you came it was all obvious that you would leave the "Nanny" state behind & stay

in an arguably third world country with all the perks it offers but without getting anything back,

The 800,000 Bht remains yours, earning interest (interest rates are bad all around the world at present) & be honest it is not much for the privilidge of getting an annual extension.

Having worked & paid taxes here for 28 years I still do not "expect" the Thai people to support me in any way, shape or form, but I live happily  enough & it is MY CHOICE

Just for interest sake there is not one visa issued anywhere in the world "as of right"

They can be revoked at any time for any reason THEY think fit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody forces you to buy 'premium car insurance'.

My pickup government minimum car insurance is 900bht a year.

True but 2 are really pretty new vehicles that cost over 1 million each. Not even 12000 km each. The kids car is the oldest but is still nice with low miles and  this is also for full coverage for car and for if perhaps something happens and we get sued. My motorcycle insurance costs me 1200 a year which still is more than your no liability 900baht. I personally like to be covered and am not willing to be taken to any cleaners if a major accident happens. To each his own. 

• Like 2

Just now, holy cow cm said:

True but 2 are really pretty new vehicles that cost over 1 million each. Not even 12000 km each. The kids car is the oldest but is still nice with low miles and  this is also for full coverage for car and for if perhaps something happens and we get sued. My motorcycle insurance costs me 1200 a year which still is more than your no liability 900baht. I personally like to be covered and am not willing to be taken to any cleaners if a major accident happens. To each his own. 

I don't believe in insurance, I only have what the government forces me to have (to stay within the law).

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't believe in insurance, I only have what the government forces me to have (to stay within the law).

Maybe after several years I might decrease the level of auto coverage. My no insurance is I do not pay for health insurance as this is out of pocket if a must. Saved me oodles over the years. 

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Oh you could easily hit that with a penchant for even mid-range wine in this uniquely xenophobic tax system. Wine producing nations should all slap 2000% tax on Red Bull and maybe the local tax robber-barons would come to their senses. Like so many "brilliant" ideas here, it's self-defeating in the long run, because I alone would drink much more wine, and imported beer here if the prices were sensible. I have mostly given up drinking habitually here, anyway now. A bottle of wine or three a moth now if I'm lucky.

Edited by chalawaan
gramma!

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Pilotman,,,,why should it be recognized ? Did they drag you kicking & screaming to come & live here?

When you came it was all obvious that you would leave the "Nanny" state behind & stay

in an arguably third world country with all the perks it offers but without getting anything back,

The 800,000 Bht remains yours, earning interest (interest rates are bad all around the world at present) & be honest it is not much for the privilidge of getting an annual extension...

Me thinks , Pilotman uses an agent .. 

800,000   , my <deleted> ...

On 5/9/2021 at 3:35 PM, Pilotman said:

my annual contribution, in hard cash, to the Thai economy is circa 2.3 Million Baht, ex tax. ... and should be recognised and rewarded by Immigration.  

They'd only have your word for that so it would never work.   For your plan, though, what would be the level of spending you'd set at which a free visa extension would be given by grovelling Immigration officers?   

On 5/9/2021 at 8:36 PM, Pilotman said:
On 5/9/2021 at 8:20 PM, bwpage3 said:

All these posters claiming to spend all this money and NOT ONE POST showing an actual factual spend?

Why is that?

because you are all strangers. Don't know you, don't care to share that kind of  detail with the whole world.

Why not, no one knows who you are here, you're anonymous!

On 5/9/2021 at 9:00 PM, Lacessit said:

Why would anyone want to post detailed information on their finances to satisfy the curiosity of a complete stranger on ThaiVisa?

Because he'd be a completely anonymous stranger also!  No one knows who you are so what would it matter especially to someone who, in his OP, had already announced exactly what he spends every year?

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you didn't want hookers, there's no reason to come to Thailand.

That's a reflection on you! 

You don't think that anyone comes here to work?  I did, and I knew nothing about Thailand at the time, I just wanted the job.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

We just did our annual spending/budget for LOS... This year was an anomaly as we bought a new car.... So we were 6.3 million... Normally we have been running 2-2.2 million... I do like my western foods about 80% of the time... Don't drink or smoke so save there... overall happy with my burn rate in LOS... I think things will tapper off over the next few years to 1.5-1.75 if I had to guess at the future...  

• Thanks 1