Seal leaking in multiport.

The multiport (backwash lever) is leaking!

I've looked at replacement vids on Youtube and the job looks do-able?

But only if you can get the right parts (size of gasket (O-rings)etc.) and adhessive and lubricant!

I'm not so young and talented as I used to be so would prefer if I could find a competant service engineer to do the job! Don't laugh!

Anybody had this done with good results?

I'm in the Maprachan area of Pattaya.

I've borrowed the image from an old posting that is now closed.

seal.jpeg

Can't help on engineers.

Where's it leaking from? Top or down the waste line? The lid O ring is an easy repair, while the spider gasket can be a <deleted> of a job to dig out (on the clock at least) -- manufacturers tend to superglue them in. Would typically replace the MPV as the cost of labour to do the above (spider gasket) would often outweigh a new valve, though LoS different on that score. 

They go in time, sped up by acidic water and rotating while pump running. Always go clockwise. 

The leak seems to be coming from the (notches) where the lever is so I would think the O-ring on the shaft may be at fault.

I am quite prepared to do the job myself but as I'm not sure of the make of the multiport ( I think it could be Astral ) I am loathe to strip out the old seals until I can be sure I can replace them! All the advice on Youtube seems to be for Haywood make! Hence getting an engineer to do the job as they usually know where to buy spare parts! I have to go to pool shop soon for other supplies so I will ask if they stock what I need but I'm worried that without first taking out the old seals they will know if they stock them or not?

I'm not getting any leakage at the moment so I can wait a while but as the multiport is 19 years old (so is the seal) time is not on my side!

I need to know if all the spider seals are the same size or if all the different makes are available??

On 5/14/2021 at 8:30 AM, monsieurhappy said:

All the advice on Youtube seems to be for Haywood make!

What is yours?

This looks like it.

spacer.png

Edited by VocalNeal

There is NO name on my valve! I have found a sticker but this only gives a serial number but NO name! The pic. posted is similar as are nearly all of these valves, mine happens to be a different colour, black and looks like many of the Haywood types seen on Youtube.

It's possible that this type of valve is or was used in pools around this area so I'm thinking that local pool shops may still stock this part. I thank you all for your replies, I will check with my local pool shop!

12 minutes ago, monsieurhappy said:

It's possible that this type of valve is or was used in pools around this area so I'm thinking that local pool shops may still stock this part.

Go have a look at the shop on Sukhumvith near the flyover where road #36 connects with Sukhumvith. They have several of less known brands.

Why you not start with posting a picture of your own valve, instead one of a random valve?

And there may not be a name on the valve, there might be a name on the filter, so that will be the brand of your valve as well

Edited by Susco

On 5/16/2021 at 7:53 PM, Susco said:

Go have a look at the shop on Sukhumvith near the flyover where road #36 connects with Sukhumvith. They have several of less known brands.

Why you not start with posting a picture of your own valve, instead one of a random valve?

And there may not be a name on the valve, there might be a name on the filter, so that will be the brand of your valve as well

That shop has relocated to near Makro!

1 hour ago, Bagwain said:

That shop has relocated to near Makro!

No it hasn't. There were 2 shops previously 100 meter separated from each other. The one closest to road #36 has moved, the other, bigger one, is still there