I need help with my refrigerator

Lacessit

9 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

Thai cleaner at the condo block says no problem, comes back with a bottle of vinegar.

Put vinegar in a couple of bowls and place in running, empty refrigerator, let sit for a couple of days and oder be gone.

White vinegar is good friend for a fridge, clean it with vinegar, kills bacterias 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a joke I bought my mate who I met in Borneo a durian when I visited his site in Canada. 

I dropped it whole down the back of a filing cabinet. A few days later I get a message:

I know what it is and I know who it was. I just don't know where it is!

White vinegar does a good job.  I would suggest emptying the refrigerator, clean it and everything from it with a solution of dish washing liquid then wipe everything a time or two with white vinegar and let everything air out overnight.  You can add baking soda the the dish washing solution (careful, it makes it feel very slippery) but then you absolutely must go over everything again with white vinegar to git rid of the residue backing soda will leave.

White vinegar is also what you should use for cleaning mold, not bleach.  Bleach leaves a residue that is pure food for mold.  If you do clean mold with bleach be sure to follow up with plenty of white vinegar.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Check if your fridge/freezer has an air filter or air deodorizer - depending on what the manufacturer calls it. They usually look like a little block of charcoal or even like a little charcoal powder tea bag. If there has been something strong smelling in your fridge it will have absorbed the smell - as its supposed to do. However I've noticed that when they become saturated with a strong odor they then start to give off that smell.  

We had the power go off when we were away one time and the contents of the freezer pretty much turned to liquid. The power then came on again and circulated the odor everywhere inside the fridge . I tried all the suggestions above , coffee grounds, vinegar etc - but soon as i found and replaced the little charcoal filter it was back like normal in a few days. I couldn't get the exact replacement online but it worked well enough. 

Leave the durian outside next time.  It will not go bad that fast.

Good luck getting rid of the smell.  Probably the best way would be to turn the refrigerator off and leave it open with a fan blowing into it for a day or two (perhaps a couple of hours would do it.)  I know the smell can stay in a vehicle for quite awhile.

Buy lavender oil, leave fridge open - turn off if you are concerned about the cost of bleeding money for hours. Pull out all the shelves etc and wipe down. Wipe the fridge out with the oil, It absorbs any smell it comes in contact with and I mean anything. Great for toilets too - mix a teaspoon in a 1 litre spray bottle with water, shake and spray up high so the vapour falls after using the loo. Doesn't disguise but actually absorbs and converts the odours. Oh! It's also an antiseptic too so kills germs at the same time. If you've got sickly, upset, or sleep-difficult kids it's great to wipe around the bedhead or door frames to bring calm to them.

Put warm water in a small bowl and put bowl into fridge. Add baking soda then white vinegar and shut the fridge door. Leave for about an hour then remove and wipe ALL the inside of the fridge. NO MORE SMELL but a very clean fridge. I do this with my microwave about once a month. It cleans off all the gunk and is so easy to just wipe clean.

5 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I had the breaker trip in my condo when I was away at work. 4 weeks with no power and what was in the fridge was a congeled black slop in the bottom trays.

The smell was incredable 

I tried the baking soda remidy a couple of times but no joy, I honestly though about getting a new fridge.

Thai cleaner at the condo block says no problem, comes back with a bottle of vinegar.

Put vinegar in a couple of bowls and place in running, empty refrigerator, let sit for a couple of days and oder be gone.

But you'll develop a craving for fish-n-chips.????

Same problem when our chest freezer got unplugged. I suggest taking everything out of the fridge & washing the inside + trays & racks down well. We used baking soda solution. Reload the fridge. Good bucket of charcoal & bunches or bai toey as well as good bucket of baking soda. You may well find you need to change the charcoal & BS a few times.

Meanwhile, this is Thailand. Learn to love durian! Nice present for the g/f, though!

14 hours ago, ifmu said:

youtube.com/cats that smell durian first time

I would not take those reactions too lightly. For  the vast majority of those cats to instinctively  barf or bury the durian is like having a canary in a coalmine . Something has to be seriously wrong with that odor.  I wonder if anyone has done any actual research on this subject.

Remedy wise, I do well with apple cider vinegar  in one bowl and  50% bleach and water in another bowl with the refrigerator running for at least 4-5 hours.