Foreign rider escapes fine for not wearing mask, gets warning instead

webfact

So many posts in this thread reek of ex-pat arrogance - "I've just found some link on Google from a guy who once met a epidemiologists who says wearing masks can cause Ebola in baboons" .... so as a self-entorled foreigner I'm not going to wear a mask.

The Thai authorities, just like in most other countries going through a second or third wave, have decided that masks are useful to prevent spread from any pre-symptomatic carriers to other people.

This is one of several measures designed solely to prevent hospitals from getting overloaded in order to avoid an India or Italy style medical services melt-down and unnecessary excess deaths.

Yes, some measures may not be logical - same as some of the measures in other countries (in Australia for example), but getting enough people to wear masks for this measure to be effective requires strong, simple and visual messages.

Do we really believe the Prime Minister of a Military Regime was fined for not wearing a mask??  Of course not - it was a message.  Is there really a risk from TV presenters standing meters from anyone else in a large studio?  No - but it's a great visual reminder.

Do we really want every self-entitled HiSo Thai claiming the 16 year old 'Pretty' sitting next to him in his 911 is his niece?  No - we want most people to wear masks most the time to help avoid breaking the emergency care system.

In India literally millions of people jammed together at a religious festival, and thousand more at political rallies ..... and look where that got them.

Just wask a bit of cloth over your gob and stop whining.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, aboctok said:

Because you're (presumably) not participating in a malaria pandemic, but you are somehow involved in the corona pandemic?

Zero covid where I live and life is pretty much as it used to be before corona happened, so no, I'm not involved.

10 hours ago, steevjee said:

Kindly take your non scientific, small minority beliefs elsewhere

Perhaps you don't realise that this is a forum where all can post, not somewhere that only your point of view is acceptable.

If you don't like reading posts that you disagree with, I'm sure you can find the off switch on your computer.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

13 hours ago, Katipo said:

I am all for masks, and understand that it is probably easier to enforce the blanket wearing outdoors to avoid confusion and possible 'abuse'. Nonetheless, the following made for interesting reading....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/outdoor-transmission-accounts-for-0-1-of-state-s-covid-19-cases-1.4529036

Oh how inconvenient that the facts don't agree with the dictat. Even the CDC has accepted that masks don't have to be worn outside in certain situations.

From your username I assume you are a NZ er. If you were in NZ you'd be aware that pretty much no one is wearing masks except on public transport.

11 hours ago, Russell17au said:

But you have not answered how many people would have been infected by Covid-19 if no one wore masks. You are the one who claims that 30 million contracted the virus while people were wearing masks.

Do understand at all how science works? YOU are making the positive claim that masks prevent viral spread so YOU need to prove it. The default assumption is nothing will happen and you go from there.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusion_of_the_null_hypothesis

According the CDC we've had flu seasons with less infections than COVID and that's with no masks at al whatsoever. The numbers are in and it's settled. If you think wearing a surgical mask will protect you then you're playing with fire.

Disease Burden of Influenza: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

A snippet of some previous years .... WITH NO MASKS .....

246344073_ScreenShot2021-05-10at10_18_23AM.png.6e1324af7a24c1025dbc7cdbc4295479.png

1423198735_ScreenShot2021-05-10at10_13_53AM.png.69811b402848d24fd829e388de2b1e77.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Zero covid where I live and life is pretty much as it used to be before corona happened, so no, I'm not involved.

55 That's okay, corona and her sisters know how to wait.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it sure does.  Several Thais have been reported as having been fined for not wearing a mask but this foreigner just gets a warning, the injustice of the double standards, eh?

Were any of those Thais haunted and chased like wild animals from some Facebook photo and some intense detective work for not wearing a mask ....!? ( he was fined for helmet by the way...)

Then displayed on internet with embarrassing photos and made a propaganda meida stunt scapegoat - while thousands of Thais and farang go out without mask ever damn day ....! ! !

I think you missed the point completely with your biased views ....????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Agusts said:
On 5/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it sure does.  Several Thais have been reported as having been fined for not wearing a mask but this foreigner just gets a warning, the injustice of the double standards, eh?

Were any of those Thais haunted and chased like wild animals from some Facebook photo and some intense detective work for not wearing a mask ....!? ( he was fined for helmet by the way...)

Then displayed on internet with embarrassing photos and made a propaganda meida stunt scapegoat - while thousands of Thais and farang go out without mask ever damn day ....! ! !

I think you missed the point completely with your biased views ....????

He wasn't "hunted like a wild animal" and I doubt that checking his registration number with a database involved "intense detective work"!

Thais get fined for not wearing helmets also but this OP is about masks, not helmets.

You sure missed my point but I'd be interested to now how my "views are biased" as opposed to simply making an accurate observation on what was reported.   

What is a "biased view", anyway, is it just something that differs from your view?   That would make it "another view", surely, and not a view that was any more "biased" than your own view?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He wasn't "hunted like a wild animal" and I doubt that checking his registration number with a database involved "intense detective work"!

Thais get fined for not wearing helmets also but this OP is about masks, not helmets.

You sure missed my point but I'd be interested to now how my "views are biased" as opposed to simply making an accurate observation on what was reported.   

What is a "biased view", anyway, is it just something that differs from your view?   That would make it "another view", surely, and not a view that was any more "biased" than your own view?

Well, you say they treat Thais the same, and actually this guy got off with only a warning..., for the mask that is - fined for helmet. So you're implying Thais are treated worst and farangs more leniently from this episode....!!! (or treated the same, not sure reading your post).

Have you heard or read a Thai being targeted for not wearing a mask or helmet from Facebook photo in this way....!? (exclude Prayut publicity stunt 9f course) . You see the problem in your logic and hence the bias that I mentioned....

Just trying to be contradictory with everyone else (not just me) on this board doesn't make you right I'm afraid, need solid logic and deduction statements based on facts....

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Agusts said:

Well, you say they treat Thais the same, and actually this guy got off with only a warning..., for the mask that is - fined for helmet. So you're implying Thais are treated worst and farangs more leniently from this episode....!!! (or treated the same, not sure reading your post).

Have you heard or read a Thai being targeted for not wearing a mask or helmet from Facebook photo in this way....!? (exclude Prayut publicity stunt 9f course) . You see the problem in your logic and hence the bias that I mentioned....

Just trying to be contradictory with everyone else (not just me) on this board doesn't make you right I'm afraid, need solid logic and deduction statements based on facts....

"Well, you say they treat Thais the same"

Not my words, those are your words.

My logic is not "problematic", neither am I "biased" irrationally, an opinion or an observation is not irrational bias.

I am not "trying to be contradictory" with anyone, I am making accurate observations.   That they don't match up with the general Thai-bashing attitude of so many posters here (not referring to you, of course) does not make them any more "contradictory" than anyone else's differing opinion. 

You're right, though, logic and deduction do need to be based on facts, something for you to bear in mind as much as I do already.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:31 AM, adam1 said:

I wonder how many years are you going to accept covering your face? seriously, I mean how many?  if we don't have faces, we are not human, life is short...   We need to protect life...  but that assumes life is meaningful and worth living... cowering in our homes and covering our faces for years kinda diminishes what life is.... 

Welcome to the new normal. 

• Sad 1