Private hospitals will charge for COVID-19 vaccine shots at a standard price

webfact

31 minutes ago, bradiston said:

How will they gauge demand if they can't open vaccination bookings?

By polling customers. Gazillions of reports of this over the past 6 - 8 months.

They can also use modelling to forecast demand.

• Like 1

Reading between the lines I see it going one direction UP! ????

Moderna sells to government for 1, government handling add 2, government to hospital handling add 2, hospital cost for administration in providing the shot at 4, insurance ( why? is there insurance for Sino/AZ? )  this lobbying body is huge they are in everything add another 4 and we are in business????? 

What is the meaning of standard? I understand they will all set same price but what is standard price ?

5000 baht ? Or 1000?

OP goes on to say aim is not to make profit but to vaccinate people so should it not say as cost price? But then cost in private hospital is little different to cost at public or semi private 

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Reading between the lines I see it going one direction UP! ????

Moderna sells to government for 1, government handling add 2, government to hospital handling add 2, hospital cost for administration in providing the shot at 4, insurance ( why? is there insurance for Sino/AZ? )  this lobbying body is huge they are in everything add another 4 and we are in business????? 

Meh. Think you're a bit alarmist.

Vaccine companies sell to GPO, GPO sells to hospitals.

Yes, hospitals will charge individuals more, per dose, than the cost to the GPO.

Yes, hospitals will charge facility fees, nurse fees, etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the PHA will gauge the demand for paid vaccinations and inform the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO), which purchases the vaccine supplies from manufacturers. The private hospitals should not open vaccination bookings until they secure their supply, to avoid confusion.

Yes the last thing we want to do is sow confusion ????.  Seems the backroom deals are slowly being sorted out.  When pockets are full we may see a few private hospitals who have 'secured their supply' delivering vaccinations. 

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

What is the meaning of standard?

I can only infer that the GPO may set some "standard" price? Or that hospitals will follow the "standard" price established by the The Private Hospital Association (PHA).

Until we see prices it seems like a waste of time to talk about what might ultimately happen.

18 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

That 3,000 figure was thrown out in the heat of the first kerfuffle last week. I wouldn't expect that to stand except maybe for Sinovac or AZ at a government hospital.

I'm still sticking with the 6,500 - 10,000 estimates all in for private hospital options (AZ, Moderna, Pfizer, J&J).

I have seen this price before but they would make too much profit at that sort of price. this blog says they are not going to make a profit . my last rabies shots cost me 800 b a go by 5 shots  

Just now, PEE TEE said:

I have seen this price before but they would make too much profit at that sort of price. this blog says they are not going to make a profit . my last rabies shots cost me 800 b a go by 5 shots  

I have my appointment for the 10th June on morprom i am Shure  that will ok and free hahaha 

Even if private hospitals are essentially regulated by government in terms of what they charge for the vaccine, they may well seek to monetize the opportunity in other ways, for example by requiring advance medical check ups for new patients.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaichara said:

In  my  21 years experience here, private hospitals operate the same fees for foreigners and Thais. One must  not  forget  that  private hospitals are not  the exclusive domain  of 'farangs'. Most customers in  private hospitals have private insurance. Plenty of Thais have private insurance.

That has been my experience as well but not for as long as you.

At the private hospital I use there are always considerably more Thais than “ farangs” also many of our Thai friends have private health insurance.

I suspect that many of the posters on this site originate from a country that is a welfare state, have no experience of private medical/ hospital treatment and therefore opening their wallets for such treatment is an anathema.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

For 100 baht insurance, I'm pretty sure those 'side-effects' will be deemed NOT side effects by some hospitals but other things

Dtac is currently giving 200,000 cover for free.

That's nice.

4 hours ago, stevefronter said:

Presumably the private hospitals will have to buy the vaccine from the government as the vaccine companies will only sell to governments.

That was the case I understand but recently pharmacy companies in the US have been allowed to buy direct. I guess the drop in demand and the number of people vaccinated now without major issue has changed things. 

• Like 1

What I would wonder is if that price (whatever it’s stated to be) is in fact a true “nett” price, or will only the jab itself be fixed — and then individual hospitals are free to have their own additional fees, such as adding a mandatory doctors fee, facility fee etc?

In essence, I’m wondering if this is kind of run like an airline or hotel in that the “base” price is in fact quite low… and in-like with whatever “standardized price” agreement that may exist…. but when you add in the mandatory additions that a hospital is free to impose, then you arrive a much higher rate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, new2here said:

What I would wonder is if that price (whatever it’s stated to be) is in fact a true “nett” price, or will only the jab itself be fixed — and then individual hospitals are free to have their own additional fees, such as adding a mandatory doctors fee, facility fee etc?

I think most hospitals break out prices for medicines, services, fees, etc. by line item on the bill.

That's the way it works here, say for a flu shot. You see the price of the shot, the nurse fee, the doctor's fee, the facility charge all as separate line items.

If a private hosptial does not offer a vaccine at a price you find acceptable you can shop around, and probably get a vaccine at a government facility, for a lower fee, at some time in the future.

I love to to whine about stuff, but until I see the prices - and I'll happily pay - I'll whine about something else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

So we have to have insurance to cover needing tratment for Covid, and another insurance to cover any side effects of the vaccine!

Yep, Thailand, the hub of insurance

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I think most hospitals break out prices for medicines, services, fees, etc. by line item on the bill.

That's the way it works here, say for a flu shot. You see the price of the shot, the nurse fee, the doctor's fee, the facility charge all as separate line items.

If a private hosptial does not offer a vaccine at a price you find acceptable you can shop around, and probably get a vaccine at a government facility, for a lower fee, at some time in the future.

I love to to whine about stuff, but until I see the prices - and I'll happily pay - I'll whine about something else.

i agree … that’s my experience too.. it’s commonly a line itemized bill 

.. and by doing so, it does tend to favor transparency… to that end i agree..

but… while it’s fair to say nothing official - a signed ministerial order, a regulation posted in the Royal Gazette - has been put forward yet, what i am expressing is my … concern… that efforts will be made to effectively undermine what i suspect is the intent of a single, fixed price situation.