Private hospitals will charge for COVID-19 vaccine shots at a standard price

webfact

Maybe Im looking too far ahead.  But with the Moderna and all but one brand, you need two doses for it to work properly. The second dose should be given in a certain amount of time. With all the issues now, I picture people eventually getting a first dose. Then problems arise and people dont get the second dose in a timely fashion, or not at all.

As some of the foreigners living here might also have an insurance back in their country of origin, this might be of interest and also give you you an idea, how insurances regard the new technology vaccines at the moment.

Prof Dolores Cahill with Rolf Kane and Alisa Keane denial of Insurance for Covid-19 vaccinated

Please do your research. It goes much further than just health or life Insurance.

4 minutes ago, Andreas2 said:

As some of the foreigners living here might also have an insurance back in their country of origin, this might be of interest and also give you you an idea, how insurances regard the new technology vaccines at the moment.

Prof Dolores Cahill with Rolf Kane and Alisa Keane denial of Insurance for Covid-19 vaccinated

Please do your research. It goes much further than just health or life Insurance.

He stresses it relates to unapproved vaccines.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

PHA president Dr. Chalerm Harnpanich said the reason the price will be set the same nationwide is to get as many people as possible vaccinated, not to make a profit.

HAHAHA Brilliant. Wait for it........

I think that farangs can be assured that the "standard price"  will include a hefty profit for all involved regardless of the interest in having as many people as possible vaccinated.  The foot-dragging in obtaining vaccines demonstrates the governments lack of interest in having as many people as possible vaccinated.  

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Have you saved up a week's stupidity for that one statement.......what a waste.

5 minutes ago, farang63 said:

I don't need any gene therapy, my body has its very strong immune defenses, I don't need <deleted>, good life everyone.

Covid vaccines do NOT affect your DNA, Sorry, that it does, comes from the man down the pub!

• Haha 1

Y'all aren't reading this right. The price will be fixed. The amount you pay for the "Vaccinations" will be constant and not-for-profit.  

The variable they will make their money on is timing. f you are willing to take a number at the back of the line after Thai citizens it will be a slight cost.

Next few  months - quite costly. 

3 hours ago, Snig27 said:

That was the case I understand but recently pharmacy companies in the US have been allowed to buy direct. I guess the drop in demand and the number of people vaccinated now without major issue has changed things. 

I got my first and second jab at a pharmacy in the USA in January. Rite Aid  just gave them Medicare card. Easy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't understand the concern regarding paying for the vaccine. I suggest that this could be expanded to include blood test clinics etc. The target group being farang.

I for one wouldn't blink at being able to have an appointment with fast service and choice of vaccine and paying for that option.

I don’t think there is a concern about paying per se. paying for private treatment is normal. I think there is concern about price “fixing”.

If hospitals aren’t competing against each other to establish a price that is “cost plus reasonable profit level” , then by colluding with each other they can quite literally fix the price at whatever level they want.

the alternatives will be no vaccine, government vaccine (if available to farang) or travel to a third country to get vaccinated. Each of these have a downside in terms of cost and/or convenience and/or medical risk.

so why would hospitals charge 3k if they can all charge 5k, or 10k? If there was no price collusion , then a hospital charging 10k would lose out to those charging 3k, all other things being equal.

but, tit, it’s just as likely that there will be a standard price, it will be set low so that the industry looks morally good, but add Ons interms of consulting fees etc, become a free for all.

we just won’t know till the time comes

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

I got my first and second jab at a pharmacy in the USA in January. Rite Aid  just gave them Medicare card. Easy 

....and you are still alive......not paralyzed.......and haven't grown an extra limb?.......Wow you have been lucky.

• Haha 1

My Thai family in Bangkok are all hoping that the Moderna and the Pfizer vaccine will be available this Summer

as they do not want the Chinese or Russian or even the J J vaccine.   I do not blame them.  I just hope that they can stay safe until they all get the

vaccine.

Geezer

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Nope; the largest group of private hospitals in Thailand charges foreigners higher fees. That practise is in place for years already. It is not based on insurance company btw, and its up to the doctors discretion.

Yes that's true.   A friend went to Bangkok Heart Hospital and the doctor asked if he lived here because There was a lower rate.

I always point out that I am a resident and have no insurance.

Once I told an ophthalmologist that an MRI she recommended was too expensive and she offered to write an introduction letter to the government hospital she worked at a couple of days a week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chaichara said:

In  my  21 years experience here, private hospitals operate the same fees for foreigners and Thais. One must  not  forget  that  private hospitals are not  the exclusive domain  of 'farangs'. Most customers in  private hospitals have private insurance. Plenty of Thais have private insurance.

Worth to look up a recent enough post on Thaivisa about the up to 40% additional foreigner surcharge on Covid-19 tests in private hospitals...

2 hours ago, GlassWayOverHalfFull said:

Just can't help but being negative can you? 

Do the maths. Lets say 3 million private doses. That's 300 Million baht. How many are getting side effects? Not rocket science that it works. 

Any and I mean any excuse to moan or pore scorn

Actually I hope it works - as that would mean we could all pay 100 baht at the airport  on arrival to cover ALL medical care for tourism - which  is probably same odds !

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hmmm. 

Is this about restricting gouging rather than preventing any profits?
Because if the private hospitals are regulated against making a decent profit, their incentive to do a lot of this is what exactly? 

Governments aren't supposed to be seeking profits from public health programs. But private hospitals are chasing profits by definition. 

Corrupt governments do 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

For 100 baht insurance, I'm pretty sure those 'side-effects' will be deemed NOT side effects by some hospitals but other things

I’m only paying 600฿ a year for 100,000฿ Covid insurance. The cost is proportional to the risk. The side effect insurance is only 100฿ for the same reason $100,000 travel insurance is so cheap- airplanes rarely crash and people very rarely need to be treated for vaccine side effects. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mike k said:

Corrupt governments do 

Yes of course. 

I was just expressing my concern that if pricing restrictions are overly severe that might result in the private hospitals being less aggressive in their for pay vaccine programs in the context that most expats probably hope / expect to use the private track (nicer environment, English spoken, presumably passports accepted, better brand choice).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

All this vaccination talk has become so boring, but then I put one and one together, "private hospitals" YES, of course.......

I'm in, but which vaccine, who cares !!!

I feel quite safe wth out it .l live in the rural ,very isolated place.lm a foreigner here on a multi entrance visa  so l have to depart T/Land. .Entry into another country will require me to show that l have been vaccinated so l have no alternative but to be vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I feel quite safe wth out it .l live in the rural ,very isolated place.lm a foreigner here on a multi entrance visa  so l have to depart T/Land. .Entry into another country will require me to show that l have been vaccinated so l have no alternative but to be vaccinated.

You don't have to be vaccinated for your home country, but you will almost certainly be expected, in some cases forced, to quarantine.

Edited by Surelynot

5 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Using the term “standard price” makes it sound like everyone gets the same ordinary low price.

in fact, I imagine that one of the primary concerns of the association members,  was to avoid a price war where members under cut each other in order to gain market volume.

charging a “ standard price” prevents any hospital under cutting others, thereby protecting profits for all. So a cartel.

personally I don’t care, I shut my eyes to these kinds of practices in Thailand long ago.if I want something I just pay the set price, if I don’t want it, then I don’t.  I will pay for a vaccine of my choice whether it’s 1k, 3k, or 5k. I need it to eventually travel again, so no choice.

Same with me. I have to travel outside the country.

To enter another one has to show one's been vaccinated.

5 hours ago, Chaichara said:

In  my  21 years experience here, private hospitals operate the same fees for foreigners and Thais. One must  not  forget  that  private hospitals are not  the exclusive domain  of 'farangs'. Most customers in  private hospitals have private insurance. Plenty of Thais have private insurance.

Absolutely NOT true.

I was once quoted a price. I complained that I lived in Thailand and the price was reduced by 50%!

• Like 1