Government Plans New Measure for Vaccinated Travellers

webfact

b73ba7f5c958d2e4aaf4ba54fbd0dc2e_small.jpg

By Subhabhong Rarueysong

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand plans to waive mandatory quarantine for vaccinated visitors to Bangkok and top tourist destinations from October, to revive a key industry battered by COVID-19 travel curbs.

Deputy government spokeswoman Traisulee Traisoranakul said the new measure means easier access to favorite locations in 10 provinces, like Pattaya, Phang Nga, Koh Samui, Krabi and Bangkok, which will welcome tourists with proof of vaccination against COVID-19 from Oct 1st.

The announcement comes as Phuket prepares to open up to vaccinated travellers in July, in a pilot scheme. The province is seeking to inoculate most of its residents before the reopening, and before mass vaccinations begin in the rest of Thailand.

Ms. Traisulee said the new plan could draw 3.5 million tourists this year, generating 298 billion baht in revenue, adding that at least 70% of residents in each of the 10 provinces must first be inoculated.

nnt.jpg

1 hour ago, expat1010 said:

Once I am fully vaccinated next month I plan to travel. I will come to Thailand come November provided it is relatively hassle free to do so. Happy to comply with airport rapid testing and an app for contact tracing, beyond that would be too much and I would just go somewhere else with a warm climate.

They are in a lockdown, with everything except malls open (and even they are a shadow of themselves with all food restaurants closed for sit in) and alot of shops closed down. Bars, nightlife, massage, parks, travel between provinces is non existent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

adding that at least 70% of residents in each of the 10 provinces must first be inoculated.

I think this little tag-on, if adhered to, will mean the sandboxes remain sand-less and unused.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

You forgot if you contract COVID on the plane you get to sleep on a cardboard box for two weeks at your own expense with 300 strangers.

Sounds like a real good time.  

My understanding is that Farangs who test positive during quarantine are hospitalized in a real hospital, symptoms or not.

2 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

They are in a lockdown, with everything except malls open (and even they are a shadow of themselves with all food restaurants closed for sit in) and alot of shops closed down. Bars, nightlife, massage, parks, travel between provinces is non existent. 

You can bet there will be many debates here as to whether this a lockdown or not.

The LockDown Purists will claim it’s not a lockdown unless people are forbidden to leave their homes, like in Wuhan.

Some will claim any set of restrictions is a lockdown.

Others will say that a lockdown is defined by barriers to interprovincial travel. 

Lots of shades of grey here.

Don't expect too much precision in definitions.

"Major outbreak," "pandemic," "lockdown," are terms we can all intuit and understand, yet there is no universally accepted, hard definition. That's just the way it is.

It's more important to ask what measures need to be taken, or modified, or stopped.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You can bet there will be many debates here as to whether this a lockdown or not.

The LockDown Purists will claim it’s not a lockdown unless people are forbidden to leave their homes, like in Wuhan.

Others will say that a lockdown is defined by barriers to interprovincial travel. 

My point is why would anyone travel to a place that is basically all that is good about is closed?

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

My understanding is that Farangs who test positive during quarantine are hospitalized in a real hospital, symptoms or not.

That's because you come armed with 100,000 USD insurance document. Now do make sure that insurance document is valid, and you've declared all pre exisiting conditions (some policies don't make this obvious), otherwise you'll get a nasty bill. 

40 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Foreigners don't get VIP treatment unless they pay for it, same as Thai's. I personally know 1 foreign teacher, 3 students and 1 parent who ended up in a field hospital.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

50 shades of grey??

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Foreigners don't get VIP treatment unless they pay for it, same as Thai's. I personally know 1 foreign teacher, 3 students and 1 parent who ended up in a field hospital.

Did these people get a positive Covid test while in quarantine in a hotel?

1 hour ago, Aarin said:

Why not waive the quarantine now for vaccinated tourists. Why wait for October, what will be different then? Philippines has already wajved the quarantine fir 5 islands and last week 2500 headed to Boracay. You better hurry before it's too late. 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fully-vaccinated-travellers-test-positive-in-sydney-hotel-quarantine-20210507-p57pt4.html