Arriving Visa Exempt- Then applying for retirment Visa

Got a mate from the UK wanting to retire here. His question is can he arrive visa exempt and then apply for a retirement visa once here, has it been done by anyone on here lately?

Appreciate if we could keep the replies to visa related only and not the merits/issues of retiring in Thailand at the current time, he has made his mind up.

Arrive with VE entry.

With more than 15 days left apply for Non Imm Visa at Immigration.

800,000 Baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65,000 monthly income. Or a combination of both.

2000 Baht fee.

Towards the end of that stay apply for a 12 month extension.

1,900 Baht fee.

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He can enter visa exempt and then apply for a 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement. See: https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 days from the visa apply for a one year extension based upon retirement.

• Like 1

OP, an added consideration for your friend is need to open Thai bank account if he does not already have one. Not so straightforward as it appears.

Also when money is in the Thai bank (800k) he needs to show that the money came from overseas when he applies for the non o.

Being from the UK he could obtain the non O there.

Visa exempt good option.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Appreciate all your answers fellas, his first option will be to obtain a non O in the UK. He was just asking about other options as getting all the stars to align with other requirements are a little complicated at the moment.  

7 minutes ago, Harry Black said:

Appreciate all your answers fellas, his first option will be to obtain a non O in the UK. He was just asking about other options as getting all the stars to align with other requirements are a little complicated at the moment.  

Obtaining the non O in the UK is good option for him. He will find opening a bank account much easier having the non O stamp. 

You will need throw away health insurance from Thai company with 3 month cover. This will not be required ongoing for his extensions.

3 minutes ago, Harry Black said:

Just thought, if he does come visa exempt. will he need a return ticket?

He would need an onward flight to any destination.

People refer to them as throw away ticket

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I've done this, but the change was TR-> Non-O Retirement.  The visa exempt path is the same. It took more than a month to get the new visa, so tell your mate to apply early.

He needs 800K in a Thai bank account,  could be a bit of a hassle if he doesn't have a Thai bank account.

I had 2 X one way tickets, the second one was an onward ticket, I cancelled it after I got the visa.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harry Black said:

Appreciate the confirmation on ticket out of here.

Just to be clear for anyone entering visa exempt...... The onward flight is not for immigration (pre covid and COE). The onward flight often a requirement of the airline when boarding.

If you have a visa eg  non O etc the airline will not ask for onward flight.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I notice that proof of funds in Thai bank account must be in a savings account for immigration requirements. So when opening a bank account I must also put it into a savings accounts  rather than just depositing into the general bank account.

On the day of application must get a guarantee letter is this easy to obtain.

16 minutes ago, LoVeFuN said:

I notice that proof of funds in Thai bank account must be in a savings account for immigration requirements. So when opening a bank account I must also put it into a savings accounts  rather than just depositing into the general bank account.

A regular bank account at any Thai bank is a savings account.

9 hours ago, Harry Black said:

Your pal will only be able to obtain a non-O visa on the grounds of retirement from the Royal Thai Embassy in London if he is in receipt of the UK State Pension.  @DrJack54 - in practice this means that he will need to be aged 65+.

Assuming that he is aged 50+, though, he will be eligible for a non-OA visa. This will be valid for a year from its issue, and he can use it to enter Thailand for up to 12 months each time until its expiry - meaning that, if he were to do a border run just before its expiry (not possible at the present time, though, because of COVID restrictions) he would then get a further 12 months permission to stay, meaning that, in practice, he could get up to 2 years out of the visa before he needed to start applying for annual extensions at his local immigration office here in Thailand.

Further info is on the Embassy's website:-

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas

There are, however, specific insurance requirements relating to this particular visa type, which might deter him from pursuing this course of action (as well as, of course, current uncertainties relating to the possibility of a border run to obtain a further 12 months out of the visa before it expires).

12 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Your pal will only be able to obtain a non-O visa on the grounds of retirement from the Royal Thai Embassy in London if he is in receipt of the UK State Pension.  @DrJack54 - in practice this means that he will need to be aged 65+.

The website states this. The wording does not mean they must be on a state pension. I have seen posts done by people that were younger than 65 getting the non-o visa.

From the link you posted.

image.png.4b99c71573e8a68db5b35ed490f6d44c.png

1 hour ago, LoVeFuN said:

It does not need to be in a savings account. You can have it in eg a FD account. The requirement is that the funds must be available instantly with only loss of interest penalty. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OJAS said:

Assuming that he is aged 50+, though, he will be eligible for a non-OA visa. This will be valid for a year from its issue, and he can use it to enter Thailand for up to 12 months each time until its expiry - meaning that, if he were to do a border run just before its expiry (not possible at the present time, though, because of COVID restrictions) he would then get a further 12 months permission to stay, meaning that, in practice, he could get up to 2 years out of the visa before he needed to start applying for annual extensions at his local immigration office here in Thailand.

Further info is on the Embassy's website:-

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas

There are, however, specific insurance requirements relating to this particular visa type, which might deter him from pursuing this course of action (as well as, of course, current uncertainties relating to the possibility of a border run to obtain a further 12 months out of the visa before it expires).

Thats incorrect. They key statement is "or 3 month bank statement if at least £10,000"

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

17 hours ago, LoVeFuN said:

Many thanks

Is it OK if I jump in here? Can anyone tell me if you can have two savings accounts with the same bank? Or is the second account called something else?

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Is it OK if I jump in here? Can anyone tell me if you can have two savings accounts with the same bank? Or is the second account called something else?

Yes you can can - I have 2 with Kasikorn.

The only way to differentiate them is by the account number.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

It will clearly state on the front of the book the type of account.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, Harry Black said:

He can qualify for the Non O by either providing a one month bank statement showing evidence of being in receipt of the state pension from the DWP, OR, if under state pension age but 50 years of age or above, by providing 3 x monthly statements showing evidence of £10,000 for the full 3 month period.

I came VE 2 months ago did it when finished AQL i went 2 an agent opp post office they where the cheapest and efficient busy office too, I had a bank account they did everything inc muliple entry cost 29k its 3 month O visa and 1 year retirement total 15 months

Time is of the essents got to do it quick 1 day after AQL

had a return ticket which i still have when i need it.

Since left town as things have gone pear shaped so wont be back anytime soon and fully vacced

Edited by tomyami

Arrived Visa Exempt on April 1. Stamped in until May 15 (45 days). Did my "7 day" quarantine.

Went to CW on April 22 and applied for non-O based on retirement.

Picked up my visa on May 7 with the non-O dated April 22. Stay valid until July 20. Will go back to CW late June to apply for annual extension.

No lines and minimum waiting at CW for section C1 but can make an appt. Relatively easy if you have all the paperwork. Area for annual extension was jammed with people on May 7 at 9:15 AM. I"ll definitely make an appt for the extension.

Edited by JerseytoBKK