Latest poll: Thai stress levels up - spending most on masks 

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The latest Suan Dusit Poll suggested that Thais were more stressed than ever with the pandemic. 

And they were spending most on masks. They were used when they did go out of home - many were just staying put. 

1,894 respondents were asked a variety of questions between May 3rd and 7th last week, reported Daily News.

46% said their stress levels were up.

36% said they remained about the same as before.

83% stated they were spending most on masks followed by gels, and utilities. 

Asked where they fitted in terms of risk from Covid 41% said normal, 22% high risk, 21% low and 14% were not sure.

How to get through the pandemic questions resulted in 92% putting their faith in masks, 88% lessening travel, 87% hand washing, 77% staying at home and 64% exercising. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-10

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

How to get through the pandemic questions resulted in 92% putting their faith in masks, 88% lessening travel, 87% hand washing, 77% staying at home and 64% exercising. 

Not so many for having faith in the new Covid Czar then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Any word on whether 'my immune system will handle it' was an option?

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems to show evidence of more throw away culture to me rather than buying a washable one and saving money

The problems with the washable masks is how often they are washed. 

Disposable masks can be worn for few hours, binned and replaced with a fresh mask. 

The issue of course is incorrect disposal of masks, however, the primary concern is avoiding the spread of Covid-19, I don’t believe ‘washable’ masks are as hygienic as disposable masks.

Now, some may counter this, I would agree IF washable masks are worn for a few hours at a time before being swapped out with a fresh mask, washed daily. 

BUT... the reality is, people wear a washable mask, place it in their pocket, handbag, sideboard or leave it in the car, then use the very same mask the following day. 

• Sad 1

People are more stressed because they see the vaccine out there and countries that are moving on leaps and bounds and they can't even get a straight answer from their government.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

nope, cant agree with this, checked in with my ex (always an expensive risk to do) and she is still prioritising filling her face with durian and insists that my daughter needs a new ipad, which obviously she will buy with my money, so that would cover more than a years supply of face masks and some !!!

• Haha 1

I've not been further than the front gate which is maybe 20 feet from the sliding glass doors of our house since the beginning of April, a little annoying yes, stir crazy, no.  I try to keep myself mentally busy ( till I come on here ???? ) I have back and knee problems anyway so sustained walking is not an option,  balance is hit & miss as well, but I'm in a far better situation than some in the country, I still laugh & joke with the mrs every day and we do stuff in the kitchen which is good, be very happy when it's less of a problem then we can meet with friends and eat out again.

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems to show evidence of more throw away culture to me rather than buying a washable one and saving money

50 masks for 17 baht, delivered from Lazada

Bought 10 boxes 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kevc said:

People are more stressed because they see the vaccine out there and countries that are moving on leaps and bounds and they can't even get a straight answer from their government.

Maybe they are more stressed due the constant media hype  for something with such a low risk factor and very very few deaths 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Maybe they are more stressed due the constant media hype  for something with such a low risk factor and very very few deaths 

Maybe you'd prefer to let it run rampant and see how that goes? This is not the flu.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Maybe you'd prefer to let it run rampant and see how that goes? This is not the flu.

nope, that's why there are only 399 deaths in 17 months from this rampant virus, and around 3,000 deaths from the flu virus in 12 months on average 

Is it not already rampant ? i don't see the government stopping it, do you ?

56 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm waiting for the 1st TVF convert to make a confession on here that they have tested positive & the prognosis is not good, that however won't happen because all the deniers are probably hiding as well as us sane ones ????

Above may contain traces of sarcasm as it was produced in a sarky environment ????????????

Edited by Golden Triangle
Spelling
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joinaman said:

nope, that's why there are only 399 deaths in 17 months from this rampant virus, and around 3,000 deaths from the flu virus in 12 months on average 

421 deaths, not much difference in numbers but a difference to the families they left behind. Its more a case of you not keeping up really.

This virus is far more deadly than the flu and without measures imposed will over run the health service into total collapse. Yes the government will contain it eventually with its measures and vaccines. Until then we have to hope the numbers do not go up and they test, trace and treat as much as possible

10 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

And was there universal masking and lockdowns when the flue was prevalent? I don't recall that being the case. Do you?  This year the flu has virtually disappeared worldwide. And no, it's not because flu cases are being misidentified. Actual samples have been drawn from various populations and there's virtually no flu virus to be found. And that's because it's far less contagious than covid 19. So social distancing and masking are even more effective in containing the flu.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

421 deaths, not much difference in numbers but a difference to the families they left behind. Its more a case of you not keeping up really.

This virus is far more deadly than the flu and without measures imposed will over run the health service into total collapse. Yes the government will contain it eventually with its measures and vaccines. Until then we have to hope the numbers do not go up and they test, trace and treat as much as possible

Sorry did not check the still low numbers today

So 421 deaths in 17 months, out of 66 million ?

average flu deaths 3,000 every 12 months

Remind me again, which is killing the most people ? 

1 minute ago, Joinaman said:

Sorry did not check the still low numbers today

So 421 deaths in 17 months, out of 66 million ?

average flu deaths 3,000 every 12 months

Remind me again, which is killing the most people ? 

Covid if left to run rampant that's why its such a concern and why people may be feeling a little stressed about it. Aside from you obviously

Covid is 5 times more deadly in hospitalized patients and far more contagious.

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And was there universal masking and lockdowns when the flue was prevalent? I don't recall that being the case. Do you?  This year the flu has virtually disappeared worldwide. And no, it's not because flu cases are being misidentified. Actual samples have been drawn from various populations and there's virtually no flu virus to be found. And that's because it's far less contagious than covid 19. So social distancing and masking are even more effective in containing the flu.

Any numbers on these non existent flu virus infections and deaths

Seem to be a few in the local hospital in ICUs 

So if we continue to work from home, keep schools closed , halt travel and wear mask all the time, the flu virus will be kept low ? Just like the Covid 

2 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

So if we continue to work from home, keep schools closed , halt travel and wear mask all the time, the flu virus will be kept low ? Just like the Covid 

Really, how do you know there are a few in ICU's?

Flu Has Disappeared Worldwide during the COVID Pandemic

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-has-disappeared-worldwide-during-the-covid-pandemic1/

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Covid if left to run rampant that's why its such a concern and why people may be feeling a little stressed about it. Aside from you obviously

Covid is 5 times more deadly in hospitalized patients and far more contagious.

Why would i be stressed about it, apart from reading all the hype.

If is such a nice word that people on here love to use, just like could, maybe, possibly, They say so much, yet mean so little 

If not for the media hype, how many people in Thailand would even know, or care about this "deadly" virus, with so few deaths

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Really, how do you know there are a few in ICU's?

Flu Has Disappeared Worldwide during the COVID Pandemic

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-has-disappeared-worldwide-during-the-covid-pandemic1/

Because kind people on Facebook like to keep us informed on the local hospital numbers and cases , curtesy of the government

It has not  "disappeared", but has greatly reduced  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Why would i be stressed about it, apart from reading all the hype.

If is such a nice word that people on here love to use, just like could, maybe, possibly, They say so much, yet mean so little 

If not for the media hype, how many people in Thailand would even know, or care about this "deadly" virus, with so few deaths

Its the topic of discussion, maybe thats why its being used.

You're obviously deliberately ignorant to the facts of covid so feel free to keep preaching on high how insignificant it to you and let others carry on dealing with the reality of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its the topic of discussion, maybe thats why its being used.

You're obviously deliberately ignorant to the facts of covid so feel free to keep preaching on high how insignificant it to you and let others carry on dealing with the reality of it.

I do not understand the mindset. A small group is so selfish and so intent on seeing that others suffer, make  noise that is  much greater than actual number.  Like   child who stomps and bangs when told he cannot go outside in middle of monsoon. You are more patient and understanding of these people than I am.

17 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

No, What it shows is that the increased heightened measures, social distancing and mask wearing reduce transmission of an airborne contagious infection. In countries where  measures not respected, there were large numbers of infections. India is the extreme example of what happens when you ignore reality.

• Thanks 1