SAT License Thailand

Just bought a satellite phone from the US for the boat, its pre-paid for its import duties, arrived in Bangkok, and DHL are asking for a license for Satellite Phone (you usually obtain the license when you buy a simcard - this is just the device for SOS and calls).

Anyone ever had experience with this? Did you have to get a license for the device (sold locally without any restraints on Lazada etc) 

All communications devices require a type license from the NBTC in Thailand. This license is normally applied for by the manufacturer/importer/wholesaler. The unit must conform to the Thai radio spectrum in terms of what frequencies it can transmit on and the power it uses to transmit before a license is granted.

Once the type license is granted the units are legal for sale in Thailand. However, after purchase the owner must then apply to the NBTC for a license to possess and operate the unit. This license to possess and operate the unit is what Customs want to see.

You can not apply to possess a unit that does not have a type license.

The next thing to do is contact the NBTC to check if the unit has a type license. If it does you can apply to possess the unit. From memory the cost of a license to possess is about 500 baht and takes 2-4 weeks to be granted.

If the unit doesn't have a type license then see if you can cut your losses and return it.

If the unit does have a type license but is inexpensive then also think about cutting your losses and returning it because the daily storage fees might end up more than the unit is worth. It depends on how quickly you can deal with the NBTC.

8 hours ago, blackcab said:

All communications devices require a type license from the NBTC in Thailand. This license is normally applied for by the manufacturer/importer/wholesaler. The unit must conform to the Thai radio spectrum in terms of what frequencies it can transmit on and the power it uses to transmit before a license is granted.

Once the type license is granted the units are legal for sale in Thailand. However, after purchase the owner must then apply to the NBTC for a license to possess and operate the unit. This license to possess and operate the unit is what Customs want to see.

You can not apply to possess a unit that does not have a type license.

The next thing to do is contact the NBTC to check if the unit has a type license. If it does you can apply to possess the unit. From memory the cost of a license to possess is about 500 baht and takes 2-4 weeks to be granted.

If the unit doesn't have a type license then see if you can cut your losses and return it.

If the unit does have a type license but is inexpensive then also think about cutting your losses and returning it because the daily storage fees might end up more than the unit is worth. It depends on how quickly you can deal with the NBTC.

*FHCK* is what comes to mind.

Yeah probably better to just let them send it back.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2021 at 10:13 PM, Jenkins9039 said:

*FHCK* is what comes to mind.

Yeah probably better to just let them send it back.

Lol, good luck with that!  As a radio ham, I tried to import a simple (but relatively expensive - $400 USD) wire antenna into Thailand. Even with my Thai ham licence, they demanded an import licence and type approval for the antenna.  This was impossible to obtain and so I told customs to send it back.  They refused, saying that to 'export' it back to the seller, I needed an export licence!!!  I cut my losses and told them to shove it sideways up their back passage....

• Haha 1