Prachuap: Double tragedy as two sisters drown in the sea - brother could swim and saved himself

webfact

11apm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Tragedy has struck a family in the Saphan Pla area of Huay Yang in Thap Sakae district of Prachuap Khiri Khan. 

On Saturday a 13 year old girl, a student at Huay Yang Withaya, got swept out to sea by waves along with her 11 year old brother and nine year old sister.

The boy called Waithayuth managed to swim to safety and then alerted traders on the shore prompting a large search operation.

Many local organisations including the water police and rangers took part but at 8.30 pm the eldest girl was found dead floating off the area of Wat Samuttharam temple.

The search had to be called off overnight. Around midday on Sunday the nine year old was found floating two nautical miles off the shore by a fishing trawler. 

The mother of the children Sasina Singkhun was joined by relatives in a scene of utter grief and despair on the beach, reported Siam Rath

Now the family has the bodies of the two young girls ahead of their funeral.

The boy told the media that they had been swimming every day since Songkran when they came to stay with their mother in the area but that a riptide carried them out.

He was the only one who was able to swim, he said. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-10

• Sad 8

Absolute tragic news, the mother must be devastated at the loss of two daughters.

I just can't imagine her grief at this moment... but I hope in time she can adjust to the loss.

RiP little ones.

• Like 1

Most disturbing is not that they drowned whether a good swimmer or unable to swim - the ocean will do that to you...

the issue is zero adult supervision anywhere in the ball park....

were they allowed to be playing on the water’s edge or even wading in th ocean knowing that these kids are poor or non swimmers...

sounds like this was not the case they were standing on a rock or walking along the shore and swept out by a surging wave....

were these locals so this behavior was commonplace  and it was just a matter of running a red light once too often?

no supervision for their behavior vs a tourist family coming from a landlocked province? Big difference like a high risk incident vs a freak accident 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hippos said:

Drowning is the biggest killer of Thai kids.

It used to be the biggest killer of Brit kids. So they introduced swimming lessons at school. I learned age 7 - went on to do competitions. Later did instructor with the army.

It is so easy to put a stop to this.

• Like 2

I took my daughters to the water park the eldest can swim the younger 12 yrs can't so I gave her a life vest which after one ride down a tube was taken off because it slowed her down! 

Absolutely no fear of the consequences or the dangers the vest was only put back on under the threat of being taken home!

It seems the Thai love of water overrides the dangers!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 2:41 AM, Dont confuse me said:

I took my daughters to the water park the eldest can swim the younger 12 yrs can't so I gave her a life vest which after one ride down a tube was taken off because it slowed her down! 

Absolutely no fear of the consequences or the dangers the vest was only put back on under the threat of being taken home!

It seems the Thai love of water overrides the dangers!

12 years old and can’t swim ? As a parent have you thought about lessons ?