New COVID-19 Clusters Emerge in Chanthaburi and Chiang Mai Provinces

webfact

16d4660eac1753c5f2a229ef48ef9047_small.jpg

By Woraprat Lerpaisal

Chanthaburi - The Chanthaburi provincial public office said more than 109 gemstone traders, from Guinea, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire and Gambia in Africa, have tested positive for COVID-19 between 6 and 9 May in the province, although none carried the African or Indian variants of the virus.

Medical workers from hospitals and the provincial health office also set up a testing site at a Buddhist center, targeting 250 residents who came into contact with the African traders, while the traders must comply strictly with health measures and enter quarantine for at least 14 days.

Meanwhile, two new clusters of COVID-19 infections have been detected in Doi Saket and Mae Wang districts in Chiang Mai, where the virus was transmitted from family to friends, as local authorities were ramping up their testing campaign to limit the spread of the disease.

The communicable disease control unit, at the Chiang Mai public health office, said 26 new cases were reported in Chiang Mai on Saturday. They were attributed to the emergence of the Doi Saket and Mae Wang clusters.

nnt.jpg

37 minutes ago, pattjock said:

Seems to me that these African traders somehow skipped the testing and quarantine but I could be wrong.

I this this is what they want you to believe.  If a falang gets covid, they will think the falang has done everything wrong.  broke the rules, disobeyed the law, acted recklessly, and then everyone can easily find their scapegoat.

I will, on the other hand, give them the benefit of the doubt...which they most certainly deserve.  

If someone has hard facts, please show them here.   

This witch hunt continues.......and the falang will certainly help with torch in hand!!!

What if if was YOU......would you want us to speculate???  LOL>  Of course we will speculate you did everything wrong.  lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, GreasyFingers said:

There has also been an outbreak in a small village up here, 5 cases and counting.

This doesn't bode well........spoke to my mother in law....two in our tiny village and two in the nearby town.......could be just the beginning.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

This witch hunt continues.......and the falang will certainly help with torch in hand!!!

What foreign "witch hunt,"...they tested and found a cluster in Chantaburi and put them in 14 day quarantine (not stated if at home or state quarantine). It's the same for all positive cases.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not a surprise, as some of us have been concerned that this could spread without the testing randomly outside of known areas.  It appears we were right.  I hope they can get ahead of this issue and get ahead of the curve instead of being a step behind it.  Chiang Mai seemed to be on the downturn, but again less than random testing has proven again they are behind this and having to be reactive instead of proactive....ugh

Unless they have a national testing programme they're just fire-fighting, we will never know the true figures and they will just tackle each outbreak area where it pops, up.

Been like that from the start and will end the same way.

Only a true vaccination programme can have any real affect and as we've seen from the timeline today that all hinges on AZ being produced in Thailand as no other option was ever available.

• Like 1

I believe that many of the African gem traders are the same as many of us farang expats, ie they have been here many years without having  been back home for many years, they probably live much like the Thais do, in large groups unlike us expats who usually live in small family units and in situations like these tend to practice self isolation to prevent the spread of the virus.

As a footnote, I know that Chantaburi police & immigration conduct frequent visits and check Visa status, work permits etc mostly with none or very few problems. ????

Edited by Golden Triangle
Word missing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Thai family in Bangkok are worried about COVID 19, as a lot of them have to take BTS everyday to get to

work.  No social distancing when the trains are full.  They wear KN95 masks but know they are still at risk.

As for vaccines, they are hoping the AZ vaccine is available soon, and some plan on getting a Pfizer or Moderna

shot later for the 2nd shot, and they may wait a few months and go get a 3rd shot.  With all the variants around

they want as much protection as possible. Good Luck to all of you.

Geezer

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Is that 5 cases in the aggregate, or 5 new cases yesterday ?

That was the weekend. They are now testing the community but do not have updated figures, but they have closed the local hospital.

32 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

To be clear, there is mass testing in Phetchabun right now?

As far as I know only the affected village. It started with the puu yai's mother and they are contact tracing from the puu yai.