Renewing drivers license. Have things changed?

Renewing my 5 year bike license this month. 2nd renewal for me. My Mrs rang to check this morning and they said these days you need to download an app, do some sort of online test then make an appointment for a test, at the moment latest they can do it July. My license expires this month?

Anyone had to do the same thing lately. Just want to make sure there is no communication breakdown and they told her the wrong thing thinking I was applying for a new license or something. If correct what exactly is the online test about? Not the 50 questions I hope

My friend just done there renew and had to take test like we did before but also sit through a 1 HR video.and that had to be booked and done in advance... Or a brown envelope....the 1hr video becomes 2hr if you have a car one too as there are different vidio

did my 2nd 5-year DL last month at chatuchak DLT office. three things have changed. numbers 1 and 2 only affect Thai DL applicants. 

1. download an app to set an appointment

2. watch videos online prior to the appoinment

3. foreigners can just walk in without an appointment, but only 50 applicants are accommodated per day

good luck!

2 hours ago, irwinfc said:

did my 2nd 5-year DL last month at chatuchak DLT office. three things have changed. numbers 1 and 2 only affect Thai DL applicants. 

3. foreigners can just walk in without an appointment, but only 50 applicants are accommodated per day

good luck!

I have heard this , and I have a pink card so I downloaded the app, had 3 questions in Thai beforehand, watched the video (in Thai with my missus) and got the same 3 questions after , answered them (they are multiple choice) and was allowed to book an appointment next month and given a screenshot to show DLT when I arrive BUT I have heard that this can mean nothing and as irwinfc says they just ignore your booking and send you to the foreigners queue ! Anyone , experienced this ?

I renewed my 5 year license last month in Chiang Mai. 

Foreigners can't use the app and do the online test, you need to make a reservation to sit through the excruciatingly painful 2 hour video instead. I had to wait six weeks for my appointment and by that time my license had expired but my insurance company said there wouldn't be a problem. The only test I had to take was the color blindness test, the other three were waived for people who renew 5 year licenses.

• Like 1

Renewed for the 3rd time, all the same. No appointment, no app. Walked in, watched the vid, color and break test. Done. 2.5 hours later and 700 THB lighter had bike and car license renewed. This was just before the new "lock down"

4 hours ago, irwinfc said:

good luck!

I downloaded the app the DLT woman suggested the other day. Get to the second page where you have a choice of adding your passport number or ID and wont let me enter a passport number. Mrs called DLT again said app not fully developed for foreigners yet and farang can not use yet. All par for the course here. You say you made an appointment with the app DLT Smart queue? I bet they still have 50 employees in the office (or at home) and only 2 or 3 seemingly working. 

Wondering if there is anyone here concerned about a COVID exposure during the video requirement.

I sat through the video years ago and remember that it was in an airless room. There would be significant risk to everyone in the room if someone has COVID.

Anyone know a way to get around this? Any experiences?

My DL lapsed less than a year ago and I’m still within 1 year grace period. The video and reaction test and COVID risk suggest I may have to go through getting a new DL in Canada, the int’l license.

1 minute ago, ABCbangkok said:

Wondering if there is anyone here concerned about a COVID exposure during the video requirement.

I sat through the video years ago and remember that it was in an airless room. There would be significant risk to everyone in the room if someone has COVID.

My DL lapsed less than a year ago and I’m still within 1 year grace period. The video and reaction test and COVID risk suggest I may have to go through getting a new DL in Canada, the int’l license.

The windows were open and the fans were running, it helped ventilate whilst everyone played with their phones whilst the safety movie was being shown.

Just now, ABCbangkok said:

I wont be doing it. We were enrolling our kids in a new school this year. We were told we had to come on the 6th of this month to enroll, get uniforms etc. We could only do it on that day. This is a big school with hundreds of students in a major red zone city. And I have to wear a mask driving in my car?

1 minute ago, ddotmark said:

I thought I recently read that you needed a medical certificate.  Is that the case? Is a medical certificate required?

Yes, 100 baht from any clinic, if you have a pulse you'll pass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ddotmark said:

I thought I recently read that you needed a medical certificate.  Is that the case? Is a medical certificate required?

Always needed a medical certificate. The last one I got was from a beauty clinic. I went in, receptionist told me 50 baht. Went in the office, I assume to get the doctor to sign the paper, and out again with my certificate. Didn't even see the doctor. Apparently standard procedure in Thailand. Just as ridiculous as going to transport to get a letter, to give to Immigration to get a residents letter then back to DLT again. Professional time wasters.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Always needed a medical certificate. The last one I got was from a beauty clinic. I went in, receptionist told me 50 baht. Went in the office, I assume to get the doctor to sign the paper, and out again with my certificate. Didn't even see the doctor. Apparently standard procedure in Thailand. Just as ridiculous as going to transport to get a letter, to give to Immigration to get a residents letter then back to DLT again. Professional time wasters.

The requirement is new as of February this year and no, you can't get them from beauty clinics.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30402577

From February 19, people applying for a new driver’s licence or renewing one will be required to present a medical certificate proving they do not have any conditions that may affect their driving.

At Banglamung they won't allow video training until at least 30 July so no 5-5yr extensions. Thais can do video training on line but website is only in Thai so can't make appointment. Was a rumour that you could watch video at driving school and then make appointment but haven't seen report of anyone doing this or using the brown envelope approach.

2 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

At Banglamung they won't allow video training until at least 30 July so no 5-5yr extensions. Thais can do video training on line but website is only in Thai so can't make appointment. Was a rumour that you could watch video at driving school and then make appointment but haven't seen report of anyone doing this or using the brown envelope approach.

As with everything here, different rules from different locations. Mae Tang office will allow video training, Banglamung won't. Good point however about the driving schools, I've heard third hand of people using that route locally.

40 minutes ago, Brierley said:

The requirement is new as of February this year and no, you can't get them from beauty clinics.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30402577

From February 19, people applying for a new driver’s licence or renewing one will be required to present a medical certificate proving they do not have any conditions that may affect their driving.

I have a bike and car license. Renewed both of them three times over the years and right from the start always needed a medical certificate going back 7years. The beauty clinic had a registered doctor, so yes yes yes you can. I have never once been asked to watch the video though I have seen the room crammed with people watching it 

Edited by Kenny202

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I downloaded the app the DLT woman suggested the other day. Get to the second page where you have a choice of adding your passport number or ID and wont let me enter a passport number. Mrs called DLT again said app not fully developed for foreigners yet and farang can not use yet. All par for the course here. You say you made an appointment with the app DLT Smart queue? I bet they still have 50 employees in the office (or at home) and only 2 or 3 seemingly working. 

i didn't get a queue from DLT Smart - couldn't do it anyway. so i just went to the tent space for foreigners and followed instructions from staff there. 

25 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I have a bike and car license. Renewed both of them three times over the years and right from the start always needed a medical certificate going back 7years. The beauty clinic had a registered doctor, so yes yes yes you can. I have never once been asked to watch the video though I have seen the room crammed with people watching it 

Health certificates for bike licenses have always been required, for car licensees they are new as of this year.

Congratulations on finding a combination beauty clinic and doctors office, does the receptionist ask if you want a perm or your appendix removed!

Never watched the video, well done, you don't know what you've missed. The latest one that I saw is made partly in the UK, complete with English countryside et al, apparently they used a UK film producer.

1 hour ago, ABCbangkok said:

Yes, totally - I went to renew mine last month. 

They make everyone jump through hoops, booking online, Thais watch the video and answer some basic questions online,  westerners can just turn up on the day at my local office - The doors open at 8.00 and there was a big rush to the door to scan or sign in. We need to go to the second floor to process, and everyone was breathing down others necks. Everyone knows that they only do the sight and reaction test in the morning, no one in authority thought to stagger the appointment times or restrict the numbers entering the building.

It’s just the same at the land office today, we needed to collect a general number ticket before being allowed in to the building, we took a seat, leaving the two seats with two big red X between us and some local came, looked at the missus and myself, looked at the X and perched himeself in the middle of the seats.

I don’t know what the answer is .. 

Just picked up my 2nd 5-year driving license in Roi-Et today—quite an ordeal.

Heard you could download the classroom course for English.  You can, but it won’t accept your passport number.  So I guess English version is there for Thais wanting a challenge.

So we called Land Transportation, who advised us to come in.  We drove to Land Tranport. They were closed on a Monday holiday. Next day, lady behind the plastic window told us we need a medical certificate, special documents from her, and classroom certificate from driving school.

Got medical certificate (after 4 tries to reduce blood pressure).  150 Baht. Then on to a driving school, who assured us they had an English version.  When I got there, the classroom consisted of four desktops with headphones.  For me, I got a two-minute intro in English—then screen went blank.  My teacher came over and brought up a YouTube video—of a Thai guy teaching beginners English!  45 minutes later, I passed their braking reflex and relative distance tests.  Got the classroom certificate—200 Baht.

Next day, we brought med certificate, driving school certificate to Land Transportation.  The same lady asked where my immigration form was.  I pulled out my passport and showed her my visa.  Not good enough.  She then gave us her special farang sealed envelope for Immigration.

So off to Immigration, just before they closed for the day.  500 Baht and 45 minutes later, we had the verification of Thai address certificate.

Today, back to Land Transportation—packed with over 50 people.  Got to window, submitted all three documents—and the lady behind the plastic made me retake the brake reflex and relative distance tests.  Why? Because my test results only good for 15 hours.

Two hours and another 500 Baht later, I walked out with my new license.  In five years, I get to do this all over again...

Edited by Isaan sailor

3 hours ago, Brierley said:

Health certificates for bike licenses have always been required, for car licensees they are new as of this year.

Congratulations on finding a combination beauty clinic and doctors office, does the receptionist ask if you want a perm or your appendix removed!

Never watched the video, well done, you don't know what you've missed. The latest one that I saw is made partly in the UK, complete with English countryside et al, apparently they used a UK film producer.

Well I was single at the time, couldn't read the sign, and it looked like a normal doctors clinic, and the only one I could find open in the middle of the day. Most don't open until the evening when the doctors get back from working at the hospital. Anyhooo I realized my mistake when I walked in and the receptionist asked me if she could help. Apologized and told her I need a medical cert for drivers license. No Promprem

I did mine in Bangkok a couple of months ago. But my last licence had expired, so I had to do the video and the online tests (one for car and one for bike).

Went to office to make appointment, they said just walk in on the day, max 50 people (non-Thai)

Needed s Medical Cert

Needed certified address from Immig

One hour video session

Two online exams, along with the bizarrely worded questions that never allow you to choose the right answer. They have English versions of the books that are worth an hour reading through just before the test.

About 6 hours including lunch break

But, as was mentioned by a previous poster, I had heard that all applications are on hold due to COVID restrictions. Best to call or go to the office if you are close enough.

Hi there, warning to anyone going to  DLT Chatuchak for Thai license renewal don't bother. I went along this morning they have a full area set up for  foreigners to check all our documents, which they did and were correct but sent every foreigner away and said that we have to contact their call centre 1584 or check their website at DLT.go.th.

Anyway in short got through to the call centre and they have said they are not accepting any foreigners license applications until further notice and according to the announcement we were given at DLT this morning it say you can drive on expired license to that expires between 10th April and 30th June 2021 but the call centre said you can drive on expired license for 1 year. No information on the website.

A complete waste of time going to British embassy for a residence affirmation and to get a medical certificate if only they could just communicate their process to foreign residents. 

And what the point of checking our documents and then stating we cannot apply.

Perhaps its just an issue for Bangkok or dark red zone.

• Thanks 2