Visa Extension Based on Marriage to Thai National - Several Questions

Will be needing to extend my visa which is based on marriage to a Thai national and have a few questions.

My current 90 day visa is set to expire on June 9th - my 400k will have been in the Thai account 60 days from May 25th, so will applying on that date leave enough time to process the extension before the visa expires?

Does the marriage registration document need to be updated or is the original document what they are looking for? An affidavit stating that we are still married is also needed?

Address upon entry on the TM 6 stated my mother in law's address - but we never stayed there - went straight to ASQ then moved to condo same day of leaving ASQ . Landlord of condo did the TM30. Any other forms necessary for to show this or immigration will see the TM30 in their system?

Are they asking for covid insurance?

Anything else besides the application, copies of my passport, wife's Thai ID, bank statement showing 400k going back 2 months w passbook update. Map and photos in residence?

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, gtrinbkk said:

enough time to process the extension before the visa expires?

You could apply on the last day...though it is not recommended in case of any problems with documentation

6 minutes ago, gtrinbkk said:

Does the marriage registration document need to be updated or is the original document what they are looking for? An affidavit stating that we are still married is also needed?

They may ask for an updated Kor Ror 2  marriage registry entry  which is available from your local Amphur office

7 minutes ago, gtrinbkk said:

Are they asking for covid insurance?

No

7 minutes ago, gtrinbkk said:

Anything else

You'll need to supply a Thai witness when the immigration officers come to visit you at home.

As per usual T.I.T so your mileage may vary depending upon which immigration office you have to use.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, johng said:

You could apply on the last day...though it is not recommended in case of any problems with documentation

They may ask for an updated Kor Ror 2  marriage registry entry  which is available from your local Amphur office

No

You'll need to supply a Thai witness when the immigration officers come to visit you at home.

As per usual T.I.T so your mileage may vary depending upon which immigration office you have to use.

awesome, thank you for your response!

1 hour ago, gtrinbkk said:

My current 90 day visa is set to expire on June 9th - my 400k will have been in the Thai account 60 days from May 25th,

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension. It would have to of been in the bank on March 25th to be the correct day.

Here is my list of documents for the extension. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension. It would have to of been in the bank on March 25th to be the correct day.

Here is my list of documents for the extension. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

Great, thanks for that pdf! Yeah, May 27th is the 60th day since funds were deposited. 

1 minute ago, kynikoi said:

In Bangkok

Before they wanted an updated KR2 for years. Then they took the original and said they wanted that.

My anphor is close and efficient. I just give them both.

good to know, thank you

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

My wife lives in a small village about 30kms from Nakhon Phanom and nobody in the village has a house number and my marriage was registered at the Banglamung Amphur (Pattaya) this means I will have to drive 800kms one way to update my Kor Ror 2.  It sucks.  There is an Immigration Office in Nakhon Phanom, I wonder if they could make things a little easier for me.  Thanks for your help.

Make copies of everything. They want all pages of passport and bankbook. You need certificate from bank, put some money in and update the bankbook the same day you go in. Do not make the mistake I made and not look at the stamp saying when your visa/extension ends. The 90 day stamp may be longer than your right to stay and you will have to pay overstay fine. If you do not have the money in the bank long enough, you can ask for a 60 day extension, then do the marriage 1 yr.

• Like 1

This the list of requirement at Phuket, which (in theory) should not be any different than any other Immigration office (of course we all know that is not the case in some offices).   However, I have stuck to the list and never had a problem.   I keep scanned copies of the required documentation and photos and use them every year except where there has been a material change.   Kor Ror 2, as someone has already mentioned, can be obtained at any Amphur (cost about 30 baht I believe).   Also never had a home visit, and only a witness required at the Immigration Office for the very first extension application.   Note that there are 2 copies required of everything.

http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/marriage-m/

You will need to update your bank book, this will involve making a transaction, simply deposit 100 baht you can do this when obtaining the bank letter, depending what I.O. you use; at mine all bank docs have to be same day as application. as said apply a couple of days before incase of more docs needed.

I've extended my stay based on marriage using the monthly bank transfers for the past couple of years. This year I will start using the 400 in the bank. Does it have to be there for 3 months or 2 months since I've had extensions in the past?

7 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

My wife lives in a small village about 30kms from Nakhon Phanom and nobody in the village has a house number and my marriage was registered at the Banglamung Amphur (Pattaya) this means I will have to drive 800kms one way to update my Kor Ror 2.  It sucks.  There is an Immigration Office in Nakhon Phanom, I wonder if they could make things a little easier for me.  Thanks for your help.

You can get it at any townhall or ampur - no need to head back to Pattaya.

They just print it off 2 copies on the computer, there used to be a need to give them a copy of the wife’s ID but last year they didn’t even bother. 

2 hours ago, streetlite said:

I've extended my stay based on marriage using the monthly bank transfers for the past couple of years. This year I will start using the 400 in the bank. Does it have to be there for 3 months or 2 months since I've had extensions in the past?

It has to be there for two months before the application and some offices require that it has to also remain there during the month that the application is under consideration. That extra month appears to be becoming the norm now. My office told me, her exact words, "We are making it more difficult for you."

Just another example of it doesn't matter what the rule is (two months), the rule is what we say it is.

Also, some offices want two copies of the forms you have to produce, some not (mine didn't).

Edited by Bangkok Barry

23 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Photos

Outside address visible

Inside condo, apartment in front of door

On the bed (ridiculous eh?)

In front of wardrobes

That's what has worked for us.

I just want to weigh in on this.. last time I applied I was told we had too many selfies and they had to be taken by a friend. So we setup a small tripod and timer and reshot the lot in a day. Just something to be aware of..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, heist said:

I just want to weigh in on this.. last time I applied I was told we had too many selfies and they had to be taken by a friend. So we setup a small tripod and timer and reshot the lot in a day. Just something to be aware of..

YES

No selfies. Great point.

So get the tripod out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A printout of the Kor Ror 2 can be requested at any Amphoe. You wife can go to one and show her ID card to request one.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.  What about me, do I have to update mine as well?

8 hours ago, fishtank said:

Every year.

I guess I have a problem, last time I updated Kor Ror 2 was 7 years ago because I didn't have a requirement for it.  In the past, I had a retirement Visa, I was going to apply for a marriage Visa for the first time to see if it was better for me.

1 hour ago, Gerard052 said:

I guess I have a problem, last time I updated Kor Ror 2 was 7 years ago because I didn't have a requirement for it.  In the past, I had a retirement Visa, I was going to apply for a marriage Visa for the first time to see if it was better for me.

No problem.

Any amphur will supply a copy for a fee of 20 Baht.

Your Wife just has to show her ID card.

BTW you are not applying for a Visa.

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, fishtank said:

No problem.

Any amphur will supply a copy for a fee of 20 Baht.

Your Wife just has to show her ID card.

BTW you are not applying for a Visa.

Not at the moment, I'll need one for October and I was debating if I should get a retirement Visa as I did in the past or get a marriage Visa.  The marriage Visa is good for 3 months and before it ends I can apply for a one year extension.  I have the 400k in the bank, that's not a problem and I printed the list that ubonjoe put on TV, some of it is pretty ridiculous, like a photo of you and your wife in the house or the house number, even in big cities they only have a few and in my wife's village or the neighboring villages, there are none.  Somebody also mentioned that different offices have different rules, I wonder why they are not on the same page.  Right now, I am trying to get as much information from people with experience with that type of Visa so I can choose the one which would be best for me for my trip in the Fall.  

28 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

The marriage Visa is good for 3 months and before it ends I can apply for a one year extension.  I have the 400k in the bank, that's not a problem and I printed the list that ubonjoe put on TV, some of it is pretty ridiculous, like a photo of you and your wife in the house or the house number, even in big cities they only have a few and in my wife's village or the neighboring villages, there are none. 

You get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage the allows one 90 day entry and is valid to use for 3 months from the date of issue. The you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

All houses have a house number assigned to them that appears on page one of the blue house book issued for it. You just need  to to make small sign to show the number for the photo. Or if there is a mailbox in front of the house you can get some stick on numbers to put on it.

• Like 1