Visa Extension Based on Marriage to Thai National - Several Questions

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage the allows one 90 day entry and is valid to use for 3 months from the date of issue. The you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

All houses have a house number assigned to them that appears on page one of the blue house book issued for it. You just need  to to make small sign to show the number for the photo. Or if there is a mailbox in front of the house you can get some stick on numbers to put on it.

Thank you very much ubonjoe for your always valuable information.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

All houses have a house number assigned to them that appears on page one of the blue house book issued for it. You just need  to to make small sign to show the number for the photo. Or if there is a mailbox in front of the house you can get some stick on numbers to put on it.

2 or 3 years ago CW/BKK for a marriage VISA extension, two photos outside-the-house (right in front of the door) rejected since they didn't show the house number; and asked to come back next day with new photos. I neatly printed a BIG house number from the printer and taped it next to the door, reshot the photos; then it was alright. we keep that printed number next to the door till today.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:58 AM, Gerard052 said:

my marriage was registered at the Banglamung Amphur (Pattaya) this means I will have to drive 800kms one way to update my Kor Ror 2.

Kor Ror 2 update, within a month before the application of the VISA extension. make it simple - your wife goes to the local amphur with her Thai ID card; you don't have to be present there. it is an update of a Thai national on the marital status to the civil registrar. we did it in Bangkhen, Bangkok, it costed us THB10.

in the last ten++ extensions, never asked for the Kor Ror 2 update. last year we prepared it for the first time for just-in-case. we brought the Kor Ror 2 update with the original Kor Ror 2 and Kor Ror 3 and copies, the IO said the update not need if the original is shown. I guest up to the practice of individual IO officer / office. if you don't need to drive 800km, just prepare the Kor Ror 2 update (for just-in-case) !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ETatBKK said:

2 or 3 years ago CW/BKK for a marriage VISA extension, two photos outside-the-house (right in front of the door) rejected since they didn't show the house number; and asked to come back next day with new photos. I neatly printed a BIG house number from the printer and taped it next to the door, reshot the photos; then it was alright. we keep that printed number next to the door till today.

Thank you very much for the info.

2 hours ago, ETatBKK said:

Kor Ror 2 update, within a month before the application of the VISA extension. make it simple - your wife goes to the local amphur with her Thai ID card; you don't have to be present there. it is an update of a Thai national on the marital status to the civil registrar. we did it in Bangkhen, Bangkok, it costed us THB10.

in the last ten++ extensions, never asked for the Kor Ror 2 update. last year we prepared it for the first time for just-in-case. we brought the Kor Ror 2 update with the original Kor Ror 2 and Kor Ror 3 and copies, the IO said the update not need if the original is shown. I guest up to the practice of individual IO officer / office. if you don't need to drive 800km, just prepare the Kor Ror 2 update (for just-in-case) !

Thank you very much for the info.

My advice is to visit the IO wherever it is about 6 weeks before the extension is due and ask what that office requires.

Get all that lot together nd apply for an extension about 3 weeks before it is due.

Then if there is a problem you have 3 weeks to sort it out.

I will list what I had to do earlier this month, but also have a question. Though I submitted my extension papers nearly 6 weeks BEFORE by current extension was due (which is more than the 30 days usually needed for turnaround to come back and collect the stamps) I was given a temporary extension till 30-days beyond that date, and told NOT TO RETURN until the afternoon of that last day. ???? This was the same situation last year and puts a burden on arriving during the last 3 hours of a valid stamp... which is why I started so early this year.
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS DANGEROUS ADDED REQUIREMENT? Last year I arrived in the morning - it is a 2 hr drive and accidents, car problems can happen - and was turned away and told to return in the afternoon.

Okay, now for the details of the paperwork this year. It came to 60 pages of originals and a complete duplicate set was taken this time (most years I end up getting that one back.)
Fortunately I started early with a visit to confirm needs and after asking about details and saying I'd pass them on, I was handed a checklist that the IO worked off of - printed as an internal document that was submitted with the foreigner's file. I thought my family mistranslated the financial details, but it turned out to be absolutely required

1.      TM 7 with 4x6 cm photo side up (They will add a stamp to fill in Phone# & email)
  2.      Photocopy of the name & photo pages of your passport; then a photocopy of each pair of passport pages, most recent stamped pages first. Finally include a copy of the Departure card, 90 Day receipt and TM.30
  3.      Marriage continuing documentation from Amphur คร2 (Kɔɔ Rɔɔ 2) คร.2  AND photocopies of our original marriage registration certificates (Kɔɔ Rɔɔ 2&3) คร3 & คร2. A photocopy of spouse's Thai National ID card AND a photocopy of each page of the household Tambien Baan (blue registration book) …. If you have one, a photocopy of your foreigner’s yellow registration book
  4.      Certified bank statements showing all activity for 6 months,  AND a bank certification letter documenting the account and balance of at least ฿400K AND photocopies of each page of your account books – including the bank book account name page .
  5.      Completed "Acknowledgement of Penalties of Visa Overstay" AND a completed "Acknowledgement of Terms and Conditions for Permit of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand"
  6.        Completed Map form for immigration to locate my home. Be sure to use the form (as typeset and used in your province.) I used the same wording different formatting from another province and had to cut and paste my map onto their form.
  7.      A wide-angle photo showing me & my spouse in front of our home, with street number showing. Include THREE other photos of us in our home doing everyday activities. 2 landscape photos printed per page positioned with 3 to 4 inches of space at the bottom for a stamp which as in all photocopies will need to be signed and dated.

I KNOW the requirements OFTEN vary from province to province. This was my experience this year in a northern province. The IO did say that the laws had changed since last year and they may change again next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RPCVguy said:

Though I submitted my extension papers nearly 6 weeks BEFORE by current extension was due (which is more than the 30 days usually needed for turnaround to come back and collect the stamps) I was given a temporary extension till 30-days beyond that date, and told NOT TO RETURN until the afternoon of that last day. ???? This was the same situation last year and puts a burden on arriving during the last 3 hours of a valid stamp... which is why I started so early this year.

That is standard practice for extensions based on marriage.

Your given an 'under consideration' stamp (not an extension).

All marriage extension applications have to be approved by the regional offices.

You return on the date given to collect your now approved new 1 year extension stamp.

It's just unfortunate you have such a long drive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

That is standard practice for extensions based on marriage.

Your given an 'under consideration' stamp (not an extension).

All marriage extension applications have to be approved by the regional offices.

You return on the date given to collect your now approved new 1 year extension stamp.

It's just unfortunate you have such a long drive.

I am not questioning the stamp, but the danger of having a problem of being present in person during thee stated 3 hour window. I started the process early enough to EXCEED the usual 30 days for a response. Why then am I told NOT TO RETURN UNTIL the last 3 hours of that "under consideration" stamp... with 65 days intervening? What happens to my status if the car breaks down getting there, or an accident, or ...??
Does anyone know what happens then?

6 minutes ago, RPCVguy said:

I am not questioning the stamp, but the danger of having a problem of being present in person during thee stated 3 hour window. I started the process early enough to EXCEED the usual 30 days for a response. Why then am I told NOT TO RETURN UNTIL the last 3 hours of that "under consideration" stamp... with 65 days intervening? What happens to my status if the car breaks down getting there, or an accident, or ...??
Does anyone know what happens then?

Nothing happens, your extension has already been approved at that stage.

If through sickness or accident contact the office to explain.

To be requested to return within the last 3 hours of the final day of under consideration is not standard practice and more to do with your particular Immigration office.

My extension is due on July 10th.

Last year I applied on June 2nd and was given an under consideration stamp until August 9th.

They rang me on June 16th to say my application was approved and to return for the stamp, which I did the following day on June 17th.

It sounds as though your IO isn't helpful or friendly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Nothing happens, your extension has already been approved at that stage.

If through sickness or accident contact the office to explain.

To be requested to return within the last 3 hours of the final day of under consideration is not standard practice and more to do with your particular Immigration office.

My extension is due on July 10th.

Last year I applied on June 2nd and was given an under consideration stamp until August 9th.

They rang me on June 16th to say my application was approved and to return for the stamp, which I did the following day on June 17th.

It sounds as though your IO isn't helpful or friendly.

What you say makes sense, and is how I would hope would be the case. I don't list where I am because I agree with you assessment of the overall situation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RPCVguy said:

I will list what I had to do earlier this month, but also have a question. Though I submitted my extension papers nearly 6 weeks BEFORE by current extension was due (which is more than the 30 days usually needed for turnaround to come back and collect the stamps) I was given a temporary extension till 30-days beyond that date, and told NOT TO RETURN until the afternoon of that last day. ???? This was the same situation last year and puts a burden on arriving during the last 3 hours of a valid stamp... which is why I started so early this year.
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS DANGEROUS ADDED REQUIREMENT? Last year I arrived in the morning - it is a 2 hr drive and accidents, car problems can happen - and was turned away and told to return in the afternoon.

Okay, now for the details of the paperwork this year. It came to 60 pages of originals and a complete duplicate set was taken this time (most years I end up getting that one back.)
Fortunately I started early with a visit to confirm needs and after asking about details and saying I'd pass them on, I was handed a checklist that the IO worked off of - printed as an internal document that was submitted with the foreigner's file. I thought my family mistranslated the financial details, but it turned out to be absolutely required

1.      TM 7 with 4x6 cm photo side up (They will add a stamp to fill in Phone# & email)
  2.      Photocopy of the name & photo pages of your passport; then a photocopy of each pair of passport pages, most recent stamped pages first. Finally include a copy of the Departure card, 90 Day receipt and TM.30
  3.      Marriage continuing documentation from Amphur คร2 (Kɔɔ Rɔɔ 2) คร.2  AND photocopies of our original marriage registration certificates (Kɔɔ Rɔɔ 2&3) คร3 & คร2. A photocopy of spouse's Thai National ID card AND a photocopy of each page of the household Tambien Baan (blue registration book) …. If you have one, a photocopy of your foreigner’s yellow registration book
  4.      Certified bank statements showing all activity for 6 months,  AND a bank certification letter documenting the account and balance of at least ฿400K AND photocopies of each page of your account books – including the bank book account name page .
  5.      Completed "Acknowledgement of Penalties of Visa Overstay" AND a completed "Acknowledgement of Terms and Conditions for Permit of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand"
  6.        Completed Map form for immigration to locate my home. Be sure to use the form (as typeset and used in your province.) I used the same wording different formatting from another province and had to cut and paste my map onto their form.
  7.      A wide-angle photo showing me & my spouse in front of our home, with street number showing. Include THREE other photos of us in our home doing everyday activities. 2 landscape photos printed per page positioned with 3 to 4 inches of space at the bottom for a stamp which as in all photocopies will need to be signed and dated.

I KNOW the requirements OFTEN vary from province to province. This was my experience this year in a northern province. The IO did say that the laws had changed since last year and they may change again next year.

At Kamphaeng Phet IO they wanted a hand drawn map but drawn on their specific sheet of paper and the same went for the photos. Having got the first paper blank, I scanned it at home to make it easier for the next application.

Also KPP requires 2 copies of all the documents, one for them and one for their regional office in CM.

The way it seems to be going at times I swear I will have to steal a shopping trolley to carry it all.

Having said that the IO at KPP are farang friendly and very helpful.

• Like 1