Mobile Phone Provider Packages

8 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

It is pretty uplifting when in a few minutes there are people here willing to help out for no benefit, kind of makes you think there is still a lot of genuine people out there. Nice.......

Believing in good is what makes life worth living. So if you cannot be good yourself, how can you believe in good?

So I do my best for all, in order to restore their belief in good; so that they can spread the good feeling to others.

Okay enough of the sermon and back to the SIM discussion.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

But they should still be good for this two stage verification rubbish for Google /Banks/ Gmail etc?

You seem to be clued up on this stuff, can I ask you a quick question, (hoping that the answer is positive) I just nearly made a huge mistake and nearly ordered a new Huawei P40 Pro phone ( I like photography) but then I found out that this phone does not support anything from Google, i.e. Gmail, Youtube Google apps. etc. however, the vendor advised me that the Huawei P30 Pro still supports Google, do you know if this is correct? I get conflicting answers on the net, but most seem to confirm that it does. I only need Gmail, Skype, Youtube, maybe Plex, but I really bought it for the camera.

Correct. The Huawei P30 Pro is already two years old; so likely has Google Play Store preinstalled. The Huawei P40 Pro came out a year later and has been affected by the US sanctions; so no preinstalled Play Store. 

But as the Huawei P30 Pro is already two years old it possibly won't be getting any more Android updates beyond the already outdated 10.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

Ok think splitting hairs here 140 b over CA year.. but still think it depends where you get it from

It doesn't depend on where you get it. The price is now 1390 baht.

If the OP was looking for the 1250 baht SIM; he might have ended up getting the wrong one.

Not about splitting hairs, but just giving correct and up to date info. No criticism; just updating your info.

26 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Nope MMS are different from SMS. MMS are SMS with the ability to send pictures.

And whatever happened to that tech they tried to push out for phones a few years back? The PTT (Push To Talk) like a walkie talkie, did it ever take off? Back in the 1980's we were working on Marconi Videophones and the development of what today is IFES, the individual In Flight Entertainment Systems, individual screens and media selection. Thankfully mobiles are still banned on most aircraft.

Just now, Formaleins said:

And whatever happened to that tech they tried to push out for phones a few years back? The PTT (Push To Talk) like a walkie talkie, did it ever take off? Back in the 1980's we were working on Marconi Videophones and the development of what today is IFES, the individual In Flight Entertainment Systems, individual screens and media selection. Thankfully mobiles are still banned on most aircraft.

Are they? I used mine often when flying. I don't know any airline that has banned mobile phones.

Many supply mobile phone signal availability and WiFi hotspots for mobile phones. 

I've been using mobile phones on aircraft for many years. Even my old Blackberry with the keyboard, as I could use it all the way from Europe to wherever I was going for free. It was great. A friend of mine had the same thing with Vodafone. Free usage anywhere, even on aircraft. We didn't complain.

52 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thats the beauty of DUAL sim phones, keep one from home and one local, best of both worlds and much more cost efficient.

i thought that was a good idea until i lost my phone, losing AIS sim no issue they replaced that straight away, my UK sim took weeks to get a replacement here which meant my UK banks OTPs couldnt be used so now the UK sim doesn't leave the condo

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Are they? I used mine often when flying. I don't know any airline that has banned mobile phones.

Many supply mobile phone signal availability and WiFi hotspots for mobile phones. 

I've been using mobile phones on aircraft for many years. Even my old Blackberry with the keyboard, as I could use it all the way from Europe to wherever I was going for free. It was great. A friend of mine had the same thing with Vodafone. Free usage anywhere, even on aircraft. We didn't complain.

How do you mean by "Using Them" are you legally allowed to run a phone on an aircraft for calls or internet? Last time I tried mine you could not get any sort of signal at 39000 feet, it was going over Siberia at the time so maybe Vodaphone didn't have the coverage then. I was under the impression that the phones had to be off or in airplane mode during flight, but then again, we used to be able to smoke in the rear cabins back then, when flying was fun and people didn't put bombs in their underpants or shoes.

5 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

How do you mean by "Using Them" are you legally allowed to run a phone on an aircraft for calls or internet? Last time I tried mine you could not get any sort of signal at 39000 feet, it was going over Siberia at the time so maybe Vodaphone didn't have the coverage then. I was under the impression that the phones had to be off or in airplane mode during flight, but then again, we used to be able to smoke in the rear cabins back then, when flying was fun and people didn't put bombs in their underpants or shoes.

Yes, I could call and send messages whilst in the air. I think Oman Air would provide a mobile signal. Most of the other provided just WiFi hotspots.

Friend were often surprised when I would be writing to them at a time they expected me to be flying.

This has been the case for many years now. Though I think Oman Air may have stopped the mobile phone signal thing. Anyway, I won't fly with them again as they still owe me a flight home, but don't appear keen on taking responsibility for it. ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Yes, I could call and send messages whilst in the air. I think Oman Air would provide a mobile signal. Most of the other provided just WiFi hotspots.

Friend were often surprised when I would be writing to them at a time they expected me to be flying.

This has been the case for many years now. Though I think Oman Air may have stopped the mobile phone signal thing. Anyway, I won't fly with them again as they still owe me a flight home, but don't appear keen on taking responsibility for it. ????

Interesting, wonder what they were using to relay the calls as i was under the impression that (days of 3G) could not access a signal from that height, so it must have been relayed via the aeroplane coms? Not a direct connection with any sort of tower. What did it cost you, 10$ a minute?

58 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Nationwide's OTPs come to my AIS number no problem.

Yes i know i could switch, i choose not to let them know I'm in Thailand. One day they could just close foreign accounts, it's happened before. I also use my UK number for HMRC OTPs

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Interesting, wonder what they were using to relay the calls as i was under the impression that (days of 3G) could not access a signal from that height, so it must have been relayed via the aeroplane coms? Not a direct connection with any sort of tower. What did it cost you, 10$ a minute?

Was free; I told you. ???? A Blackberry loophole. So I had unlimited messaging throughout the flight. I paid something like £15 for six months of the messaging service. So not actually free; but of course I received 500 MB of data per month for normal usage. The use on aircraft was included. A nice loophole.

Though some airlines give a free WiFi hotspot allowance. So some use that for basic communication.

15 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

<Snip>

On one of the Forum threads I came across this promotion on LAZADA

> https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10mbps-dtac-12-i1929192284-s6099702345.html

So I did order that 10 Mbps dTac SIM-card, which arrived 2-3 days later.

That SIM only costs 1.390 THB and provides unlimited 10 Mbps mobile data for a full year!

Not only that, but it also features unlimited free calls on the dTac network, and for 50 THB a month this can be extended to ALL Thai providers.  As I live in South Isaan where dTac is the most widely used network, the latter is not necessary for me (but good to know that it is available).

</Snip>

Hi @Peter Denis, I've had one of these sims for 10 months and will be getting another when my current sim expires in May 2021. What is the code to activate this "50 baht calls to all networks" add on package?

1 minute ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Hi @Peter Denis, I've had one of these sims for 10 months and will be getting another when my current sim expires in May 2021. What is the code to activate this "50 baht calls to all networks" add on package?

Sorry, I don't know how to activate this "50 baht calls to all networks" add on package to that 10 Mbps unlimited dTac SIM, as I have no need for it (most of my calls are on the dTac-network which are free with that SIM).

@Eindhoven could provide you with the info as he told me about that other networks option, and I simply mentioned it in my post. 

• Thanks 1