Re concreting a sunken driveway?

clivebaxter

Had it tiled 6 years ago, part at the front had concrete on top of what was already there so about 5 inches all in, back part is on the house platform so that has not moved. Front has sunk at one side into the corner. Would it be best to dig the whole front up, then how to proceed, or just put another layer of concrete on top of it as it is? In either case should it be linked to the rear level with solid re bar? I did suggest this at the time, but they knew best! We park the car on it.

drive 1.jpg

drive2.jpg

That looks Ugly - about 6 cm ? or possibly more

Has it taken any of the Wall out with it.

Ie is the Wall cracked and mis shaped.

I would certainly think about getting the whole Corner looked at.

For subsidence like this there is a major issue somewhere there.

I am thinking House on Sand Base and water washing sand out from underneath.

For sure get the replacement floor rebarred into the House Platform with 20 mm Diameter ReBar into the existing concrete and then the 4mm x 100 x 100 ReBar matting into the new slab, making it 20 cm thick.

Those are my thoughts for now, but I am sure others better qualified than I will be along to offer some more advice.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

That looks Ugly - about 6 cm ? or possibly more

Has it taken any of the Wall out with it.

Ie is the Wall cracked and mis shaped.

I would certainly think about getting the whole Corner looked at.

For subsidence like this there is a major issue somewhere there.

I am thinking House on Sand Base and water washing sand out from underneath.

For sure get the replacement floor rebarred into the House Platform with 20 mm Diameter ReBar into the existing concrete and then the 4mm x 100 x 100 ReBar matting into the new slab, making it 20 cm thick.

Those are my thoughts for now, but I am sure others better qualified than I will be along to offer some more advice.

Almost all the walls on the estate and post at the end have sunk away towards the road and dropped, nobody seems to know why.  Re bars is a must then but not the chicken wire they like to use!

Falling away is pretty typical, and the buildings & bridges typically have good foundations while drive and walkways often do not. 

It does not look nice, but it will not hurt anything, and it will likely keep sinking. If you want to really repair it needs to be demoed and re-done. 

Or you could just bevel it, mortar it up and paint or tile the strip...

• Like 1