Downloaded movie not playable

Inderpland

So I downloaded a movie (both in AVI and MVK formats) and tried playing it but get the attached message in the media player window and instructions in a Readme file.

I tried to install the Xvid codec but it didn't help. Any idea if this file can be played without having to register on the suggested website (which I won't do)?

If that's not possible is there a way to see if an alternative torrent file is "protected" before downloading it?

image_2021-05-10_154142.png

image_2021-05-10_160650.png

Edited by Inderpland

6 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

I've not been able to get it play H.265 encoded videos - sound but no pictures.  Have you?

Always need another player for those.

I can't say if I've tried or not. Watching movies is way down on my list of desirable activities. If you say it won't play H.265 then ok I bow to your superior knowledge.

Our OP does have a message about Xvid which it most certainly does play.

7 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

I've not been able to get it play H.265 encoded videos - sound but no pictures.  Have you?

Always need another player for those.

That's a codec issue.

Try mpc player on PC. DL full codec package.

It's very CPU intensive. Won't play well on older mobiles.

VLC is a great no brainer incidentally. I just think picture is better with MPC.

18 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

That's a codec issue.

Try mpc player on PC. DL full codec package.

It's very CPU intensive. Won't play well on older mobiles.

VLC is a great no brainer incidentally. I just think picture is better with MPC.

Mobiles? Who mentioned them? ???? I am reasonably sure that it's PCs that are involved.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

Correct, PC.

Maybe tell something about your PC. You should really use a Seedbox rather than using Torrent software on your PC.

Have you tried installing https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If it doesn't play the file then there is something wrong with the file. Send me the name of the file via PM and I'll source one I know that works.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Maybe tell something about your PC. You should really use a Seedbox rather than using Torrent software on your PC.

Have you tried installing https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If it doesn't play the file then there is something wrong with the file. Send me the name of the file via PM and I'll source one I know that works.

I have installed a VLC player and the issue I have playing the file seems to be some type of scam. Thanks for the offer of help but since I'm potentially pushing legal boundaris I'll just fiddle about myself.????

49 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

. You should really use a Seedbox rather than using Torrent software on your PC.

A seedbox? Why?

The guy doesn't even know he downloaded a suspect torrent and you're suggesting he set up a seedbox. 555.

Edited by kynikoi

7 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

A seedbox? Why?

The guy doesn't even know he downloaded a suspect torrent and you're suggesting he set up a seedbox. 555.

You don't need to set up a seed box. Quite likely you are thinking of another kind of seed box.

The kind I describe does everything for you. You simply paste the link in and Et voila! You can stream from a secure link or download from a verified working movie link.

So no dodgy files on your PC are possible.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

I have installed a VLC player and the issue I have playing the file seems to be some type of scam. Thanks for the offer of help but since I'm potentially pushing legal boundaris I'll just fiddle about myself.????

Just tell me via PM and don't make an even bigger deal of it. Of course if it is something that you consider embarrassing, then don't.

But if just a normal movie then we can file it under evaluation/testing purpose. As far as I know you already have a hard copy of the movie on DVD; but you no longer have a DVD player.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You can test your system by going here: https://jell.yfish.us and choosing to select only HEVC and then trying to download and then play any of the clips.

Helpful thanks - to a certain extent. I tied the jellyfish video links and every HEVC file plays OK on my PC using VLC from smallest to largest.

I suppose its a codec thing with my VLC unplayable collection of HEVC files giving sound and blank screen output, but play OK using Kodi on the same PC.

Edited by Digitalbanana

15 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Helpful thanks - to a certain extent. I tied the jellyfish video links and every HEVC file plays OK on my PC using VLC from smallest to largest.

I suppose its a codec thing with my VLC unplayable collection of HEVC files giving sound and blank screen output, but play OK using Kodi on the same PC.

What happens with VLC if you go to 

Tools > Preferences > Video. 

Then to

Select output  and change from Auto to "Direct3D11 video output" and then 'Save' the new setting?

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

What happens with VLC if you go to 

Tools > Preferences > Video. 

Then to

Select output  and change from Auto to "Direct3D11 video output" and then 'Save' the new setting?

Nothing happens. I tried all the pull down options one by one, about 12 to choose, and each gave same result, sound only and a blank screen, so I left it on Automatic.

Just now, Digitalbanana said:

Nothing happens. I tried all the pull down options one by one, about 12 to choose, and each gave same result, sound only and a blank screen, so I left it on Automatic.

Surprised that KODI can play but not VLC. Hey ho...at least you can play them one way.

• Like 1

If you downloaded a torrent file, many of them are scams, especially the latest movies, and they will direct you to install something else in order to watch the video, and if you do so, your computer will almost certainly be compromised.

VLC will play almost anything. Try another torrent file, and look for one that has positive comments.

Of course, I am assuming that you have actually purchased the movie in question and are just looking for a "back-up", otherwise I would never condone such behaviour.

31 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

If you downloaded a torrent file, many of them are scams, especially the latest movies, and they will direct you to install something else in order to watch the video, and if you do so, your computer will almost certainly be compromised.

VLC will play almost anything. Try another torrent file, and look for one that has positive comments.

Of course, I am assuming that you have actually purchased the movie in question and are just looking for a "back-up", otherwise I would never condone such behaviour.

In this case it was nothing to do with Torrents, but a website with dodgy links: https://newmovies.....space 

Added a few dots to prevent accidental opening.

OP needs educating but is afraid to discuss further.