Long term big bike rental

Hi guys,

Would you happen to know a shop in Bangkok (or even Pattaya) where I could rent a "big bike" at a decent price for 6 months +? If you wonder why I do not buy one, that's because I only have a short term visa here, hence buying wouldn't make sense. I have been renting a CBR650R for months in one of the "tourist rental shops" and I am curious to know if other (cheaper) options exist out there. 

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Stay safe!

Yoan

19 hours ago, tlandtday said:

big bikes here seem to be probibitively expensive but smaller bikes up to 300 can be found at more reasonable prices.  you can probably rent a car cheaper than they will ask for in a big bike.

That's most likely because big bikes have very high maintenance costs, more than a car, and most people who rent big bikes probably do quite some kilometers with it.

I guess the majority of people who rent a big bike do so to actually make some bigger tours, this adds quite some kilometers. For a big bike you can easily calculate 3-5THB per kilometer in costs (without fuel).

A small bike on the other hand costs 1-2THB per kilometer (without fuel), and people usually use it only around town doing few kilometers.

So if a shop would calculate that customers do 100km per day and bases his rental fee on this, but customers regularly do 500km per day, he might lose 2000THB per day.

In my opinion there would be a market to rent out big bikes for a base fee and a per kilometer charge, so people who want it just to look cool in town pay a reasonable price, but I've never seen this yet.

I used to rent a Shadow 750cc from beach road in Pattaya. The owner is a great man. Very Honest !!! It's a person I trust 100%. He got many different bikes from the small 50cc to 1100cc. The rent is very cheap. I rented the same MC 7 times. 2-5 weeks. The first time, only 5 days with a 4000 Bath deposit. After that never paid a deposit. Once, he left the bike for me at the hotel a day before my arrival to LoS as he had to travel to Isaan the day I'd arrive. It was trust between us.

But I've to mention, I never bargained, and always gave 1000 Bath tip each time.....

His name is Kaew His number 0813324610. He's got Line.... 

Believe me, try him, You won't regret it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's most likely because big bikes have very high maintenance costs, more than a car, and most people who rent big bikes probably do quite some kilometers with it.

I guess the majority of people who rent a big bike do so to actually make some bigger tours, this adds quite some kilometers. For a big bike you can easily calculate 3-5THB per kilometer in costs (without fuel).

A small bike on the other hand costs 1-2THB per kilometer (without fuel), and people usually use it only around town doing few kilometers.

So if a shop would calculate that customers do 100km per day and bases his rental fee on this, but customers regularly do 500km per day, he might lose 2000THB per day.

In my opinion there would be a market to rent out big bikes for a base fee and a per kilometer charge, so people who want it just to look cool in town pay a reasonable price, but I've never seen this yet.

true but serious miles are put on rental cars too I always believe one should look at the cost of the item when evaluating the rental costs.  And cars are simply a lot more expensive and should be a more expenive rental.

About the long trips: A long time ago I wanted to rent a big bike to use it in Bangkok. At that time I didn't find a company to rent a bike in Bangkok. On my next weekend trip to Pattaya I asked a few shops who rented bikes in Pattaya if I could use the bike in Bangkok. They all told me that I can't do that. They allowed only usage in Pattaya and near by (don't remember how far away they allowed).

So better check if you can use a bike for longer trips and/or far away.

Thank y'all for your replies. I think I am going to buy a good ol' (and used) MSX and beat it up while I am here. I am now living in the province and traveling along the slow vehicles lane on the quaint side of the kingdom will be quite a fun experience I reckon :) 

Cheers,

Yoan

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 3:19 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

About the long trips: A long time ago I wanted to rent a big bike to use it in Bangkok. At that time I didn't find a company to rent a bike in Bangkok. On my next weekend trip to Pattaya I asked a few shops who rented bikes in Pattaya if I could use the bike in Bangkok. They all told me that I can't do that. They allowed only usage in Pattaya and near by (don't remember how far away they allowed).

So better check if you can use a bike for longer trips and/or far away.

Yes, I have also asked shops in Pattaya. Nothing has changed, the song remains the same: Pattaya use ONLY. Can't imagine renting a MTO9 for 25K a month and never be able to get the hell out.

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I thought the idea about those bikes in Pattaya is to rev them on beach road and try to impress the girls.

Not that the girls are cheaper after those activity but probably some of the riders feel they are the man.

4aak3c384w941.jpg

Thanks for the laughs, @OneMoreFarang. I ride for the sake of riding and nothing else but, who knows, in 20 years from now, maybe I will also hold a baby Ninja as if it were one of the girls from the Wicked Bar ????

• Haha 2