Thai Visa Forum

Quarantine completed: 5 Stars for Mercure Sukhumvit 11 (A short review)

Hi guys, my dad died in March so I returned to England and came back to Bangkok late last month.

I spent a lot of time reviewing the cheapest 25 or so options on the ASQ website and decided to spend a few extra thousand baht for a little extra luxury. I cannot emphasise enough how much of a great decision this was

Whilst reading through details of the options I realised that i'd actually stayed at a few of the cheapest options before, pre-Covid. I realised that there was no way in hell I'd wanna spend so much time in the cramped rooms, with the (most likely) <deleted> food - despite them looking good on the pics. 

After writing off most of the 25-30k I options I landed on the Mercure Sukhumvit 11: with a full a la carte menu (that I've been ordering from each day), a bathtub (bubble baths every night after dinner) and a yoga mat (to start the day with at least one positive step.. ) not to mention a work station for my laptop and books, a dozen English TV channels and all the standard airport pick up, tests etc included - for 32k.

I'd previously quarantined for 15 days in a German Hotel (which was more like a prison camp) so I came prepared with hot chocolate, my favourite coffee, bubble bath, alcohol and work stuff so, overall, it was pretty sweet. But yeah, the basics were already great so I'd definitely recommend.

Lunch and dinner varied from sushi and curry from the local curry houses to club sandwiches and traditional Thai dishes. 

Cannot recommend enough. 20210420_143354.thumb.jpg.5da023770475d7cb5291df6024ec4648.jpg

20210421_075320.jpg

20210421_181409.jpg

• Like 1

Great to have a review.... 

But... If 2 apples, a boxed juice and a sandwich in a plastic box kept you satisfied you may well be easy to please. 

I recently stayed the Solitaire - Indian food fantastic, all other food atrocious - All food arrived cold (but I had a microwave).

Room itself very comfortable... bath tub, good internet, good views etc but the food... urgh...  all I can think of is that they knew they had a ‘captive audience’...    maybe the club sandwich in a plastic container would have been better !!! Thai food appalling, western food bland and soggy.... wholly unimpressed until I had the indian food which was extremely good !!!....  I had to chose from a menu before arrival...  knowing what I know now I’d have chosen indian food each and every lunching and evening and forgone the plastic ham, wax sausages and solidified cold eggs in for breakfast....

Tip for anyone who likes coffee... Get  hotel with a  coffee machine in the room (Nespresso) or get your own coffee machine sent over !

• Like 1
17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Great to have a review.... 

But... If 2 apples, a boxed juice and a sandwich in a plastic box kept you satisfied you may well be easy to please. 

I recently stayed the Solitaire - Indian food fantastic, all other food atrocious - All food arrived cold (but I had a microwave).

Room itself very comfortable... bath tub, good internet, good views etc but the food... urgh...  all I can think of is that they knew they had a ‘captive audience’...    maybe the club sandwich in a plastic container would have been better !!! Thai food appalling, western food bland and soggy.... wholly unimpressed until I had the indian food which was extremely good !!!....  I had to chose from a menu before arrival...  knowing what I know now I’d have chosen indian food each and every lunching and evening and forgone the plastic ham, wax sausages and solidified cold eggs in for breakfast....

Tip for anyone who likes coffee... Get  hotel with a  coffee machine in the room (Nespresso) or get your own coffee machine sent over !

What room type did you have at Solitaire? the 70sqm apt looks ok although i don't like carpets, tend to smell.

Would you stay there again?

If not what's on your radar for next time?

Thanks.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

western food bland and soggy.

That's how we like it. That's why they serve it that way. Just ask any Thai hotel staff. 

Kudos and Accolades.... 

Thanks for review.  Its a relief to hear they treated you humanely. 

The Mercure chain seems to be a bit too escentric and regimented. 

Horrible experience in Koh Chang years ago from poorly maintained equipment and  grounds to unprofessional and cambative staff.

Last visit to Koh Chang, and 1st and last stay with Mercure.  

Check out asq Bangkok on YouTube, I made a video about where I stayed in thonglor, great place and food while not the biggest portions was spot on, your right about the microwave though that's a necessity..

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 10:21 AM, madmen said:

You brought into alcohol duty free or in checked luggage? 

Luggages.

They are so terrified (remember we even saw... astronauts spraying suitcases in Suvarnabhumi airport with disinfectant... it's was a PR stunt of course but still) that they never open your luggages.

You have to understand : the virus is so terrible and so contagious... just by looking at them a little too long it might be risky.

😉

So you can smuggle everything.

Alcohol  of course.

My own list :

-black chocolate

-real coffee

-alcohol (i do not like to drink alone, but it's a matter of principle : their fanatical ban on alcohol  during ASQ is outrageous, so it's a form of protest)

(disclaimer : I did 2 ASQs)

Last point : yes balcony, to open windows.... is a must and a necessity. It's even more important than food.