Abortion - effects of the new law

Kiujunn

It's now 3 months that abortion in the first trimester has been officially completely legalized. Maybe the pinned thread should be updated.

Did the reality change in any way? 

Are more private hospitals now offering abortions? They used to be reluctant. 

Medical abortion (Mifegyne+Misoprostol) has long become possible,  in 2007 that was still very difficult to get. AFAIK even PDA does it now.

But it's still a medicine only for hospitals.

You can not buy it yourself,  and you cannot mail-order it like in the US.

Edited by Kiujunn

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

They have always treated foreigners. When did this change? Are you sure?

They told me today on the phone.  Repeatedly,  insisting very clearly that only Thais can come. 

Maybe it's not true and tomorrow another person says something different,  but it was no misunderstanding.

I was surprised,  too, because it was news to me as well

1 hour ago, Kiujunn said:

They told me today on the phone.  Repeatedly,  insisting very clearly that only Thais can come. 

Maybe it's not true and tomorrow another person says something different,  but it was no misunderstanding.

I was surprised,  too, because it was news to me as well

I wonder if COVID related.

Try Planned Parenthood if what you were calling about was abortion services.

reverting to your OP, I have updated the thread but I do nto have any feedback about how the legal change is playing out in practice.

It was always possible to get an abortion at a private hospital if a doctor there was willing to perform it and make the necessary attestation to the need for it. with the new law the latter is not longer required for pregnancies of less than 12 weeks but the former remains true. So htio or miss at best, which is why IO prefer to send people to PDA or PP.

I wonder if the long term effects of abortion have been properly studied? Do some women regret terminating a pregnancy - then become overwhelmed by guilt and self loathing?

I would hate to think that scientific method has been overshadowed by political correctness.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, studied. No evidence of a significant negative psychological effect in majority of women. Unwanted births on the other hand can cause very long lasting problems both to the mother and the child.

Of course at an individual level reactions can vary greatly.

Bear in mind that there is no evidence at all that legalizing abortion increases the number f women who get one. It just makes it safer for those who do.

The public health grounds for legalizing abortion are very, very clear and evidence based.  "political correctness" has nothing to do with and certainly was nto a factor in the Thai decision.

Thanks for your informative reply.

Cheers.