Advice on mosquito screens

geisha

Hi, I’m in France at the moment and making use of being stuck here. I want to install made to measure mosquito  screens in  my apartment. The classic ones I’ve had in Thailand, simple sliding ones, but I’ve never bothered to look at the frames !!

Ive had 2 estimates which are quite high for a standard French double sliding door , aluminum frame to frame 2m80. They want to put a heavy  looking frame on the balcony  side, which I’m’afraid will spoil the extérieur look . Unfortunately I know zero about all this and would like to see what they look like beforehand, which I can’t, as in photos you can hardly see a thing. I don’t know anyone who has them either. 
what is the Thai system, which looked very simple to me and didn’t darken the room ? Any advice very welcome. Thanks. 
ps they have all kinds of strange methods too, pleated,  roll up and down, none of which I want. 

On 5/11/2021 at 12:24 AM, geisha said:

what is the Thai system, which looked very simple to me and didn’t darken the room ?

Normally the track that the screen sits in is on the inside of the frame. That way it does not get quite as dirty depending on how much one side is open and the screen used.

In the aluminium frames normally built in and on UPVC either built as part of the original frame or I believe can be added on but then not as stable,

• Like 2

Photos attached. In an aluminium frame, with a rubber flange that seals the glass on one side.

Doors are simple, just swing out in the opposite direction to the main door.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 12:24 AM, geisha said:

Hi, I’m in France at the moment and making use of being stuck here. I want to install made to measure mosquito  screens in  my apartment.

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

My balcony door mosquito screen was fitted for 2,000 baht, very good and light. I'm in Pattaya. If you live near add Fon to your Line and ask, she's very good

He is in France. The aluminum frames are very nice though. 

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

My balcony door mosquito screen was fitted for 2,000 baht, very good and light. I'm in Pattaya. If you live near add Fon to your Line and ask, she's very good

1600833676222.jpg

I rather doubt that Kuhn Fon is willing to go to France with all the necessary tools, materials and equipment, not to mention quarantine on return, etc., for measly 2000baht - or even a measly 20,000! Nothing less than marriage is acceptable. (I am making considerable assumptions about genders and sexuality, I don't want to cross any PC borders, sorry if I offend!)

• Haha 1

I don't know about France, but will relay some Bkk and US info on screens.   In Bkk, I got three windows done in my condo, and one sliding glass double door with retractable screens for under 10,000 baht.  I love those and wish I could find something reasonably priced in US like that.   Company is about midway between Sukhumvit and Phetchaburi road on Soi 71.    The retractable frame is not obtrusive, and they held up to high winds on the 17th floor.   So maybe a bit more money, but would solve the heavy frame situation.

In the US, we have simple sliding frames on the doors and fixed screens on the windows.   There is a "U" shaped track that the door fits into on the top, and an "I" shaped track on the bottom with chintzy little wheels.   Typically construction is aluminum and they stick a piece of rubber to close the gap between the screen and the window, or the better ones seal with a piece of felt between the screen and the frame when they are closed.   In the US, a typical cheapo screen for a door will cost about 100 bucks last time I priced them in Florida.   That would be a decent quality door.   For windows, you can buy cheapo kits, and make the screen yourself.   Pretty simple to make, and those would be mounted in either a groove on the window frame, or are a friction fit.   If France windows are a different design, you could probably mount them with Velcro....as they're really light.   Not sure if France has home centers where you can buy this kind of stuff.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-Frame-Kit-60in-x-60in-White-5-16in/1002945930?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-hdw-_-google-_-lia-_-145-_-screenandglass-_-1002945930-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=Cj0KCQjw16KFBhCgARIsALB0g8ISGWl6cRlz0hqgEcK9Kgs2rMxZ1WZVTE03guw-1tIj8OCAu-BSe-8aAs5eEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We had simple sliding screens put in for 1500 baht on the busy backyard sliding window door after the expensive ones broke.  I like the simplicity and it's cost effective with all the kids coming in and out.  It took ages to find someone that does here in Issan.