Explainer: Thailand’s vaccine plans and rollout timeline

webfact

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

That's about the right number for jabs.  Delaying the inevitable?  Most countries around the world are scrambling for jabs.  There's a HUGE demand and a very limited supply.  What's out there is being bought up by the rich countries.

And being held back by manufacturers like India.

The 26 million AZ ordered by Thailand last year were due for delivery in Feb, but only 117K have arrived so far, from South Korea I think.

Of course to many it is the government's fault they have not been delivered.

Other countries are further forward because the got vaccines donated, mainly by China, or through COVAX.

Thailand is too small to be big and too big to be small.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

I had my distance glasses on so it took a while to get thru.

We all make mistakes, but as I quote, 'Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Oops. My apologies then. You really were "blind" with those glasses on. 

5 hours ago, mickmac said:

The EU has been complaining non-stop since the UK showed them up for the incompetents that they are. The UK did not have to wait round till 27 countries ratified the vaccine procurement, they just went out and bought what they needed. The EU then cried foul when the UK got the vaccines they had ordered, ordered some 3 months prior to the EU, yet the EU felt that they had the right to jump the queue. So Van der Layen, the failed German armed forces minister, decided to blame everyone else but the real culprits, themselves, for their short comings.

What I'm trying to say is, it's every one and dog for himself right now. Obviously some countries are more successful than others in procuring vaccines but bottom line is, did anyone really expect Thailand to be among those in front of the queue? Those who did really got a lot to learn because it won't be the last time they will be disappointed.

Well I hope they keep some Sinovac back for me as it is about the only one I fully trust, though I will accept Sputniuk V.  I wont touch any of the experimental mRNA vaccines epeccially when produced by big corrupt western pharma for big profits rather than for real people care.  So to put it bluntly they can stick Pfizer and Moderna and J&J too where the sun don't shine and I will resort to the professionally acclaimed  Ivermectin as an immediate treatment should I be unlucky enough to get CV19 infected or even for now use it as a safe phrophylactic until I can get a proper safe traditionally made vaccine like Sinovac that I can trust. 

As many are crazily refusing Sinovac then for me that is good as hopefully some will be left for me and for others who rationally feel the same way.  I  am very grateful for the vaccines being offereed free to non Thais who live here permanently either as official residence or on long stay visas like retirement and family visas and feel it is the correct and sensible thing to do.  Many like myself have lived here for many years on annual long stay visa extensions.  For me I have now happily lived here  for nearly 20 years with my only home here in Thailand with my wife.

Note that I am no medical expert but do some sensible rational research on which to base my decisions, so the above is simply what I am personally doing to protect myself against Covid 19.  So I am not suggesting you do the same without carrying out your own reseach and preferably speaking with a good well informed doctor too.

As I am 75, a registered Diabetic 2 sufferer (although well under control by diet and minimum meds), have Chronic Kidney Disease CKD (carefully managed but basically kidneys getting old and worn out) and I am these days obesse at 110 Kg with a high BMI (a lot due to difficulty in exercising with a crumbling spine), I hope I am reasonably high up on the vulnerable list but will wait my turn equally in line with Thai folk.  I do not believe in buying my way to the front of the queue which I find selfish and immoral and my self respect would preclude me from doing so unless I had abolutely no other choice in the end. Even then I would not be stupid enough to be ripped off by some of the obscene ridicuously high Covid vaccine fees at private hospitals that are being anticipated and banded around.  

Anyway despite my age and medical conditions I am enjoying life and very happy here so it is very good to hear the vaccines are at last being fully rolled out, albeit I feel way too late.  So I hope you all stay safe and well and hopefully once we get a good vaccine roll out here I think the lockdowns will end soon and become a thing of the past so we can then promptly return back to the happy normal lives that we had before.  So come on guys less of the moaning here and lets be more positive instead of this crazy eternal negativity. 

Edited by rayw
typos
  • Thanks 1

Could someone please clarify the current position for Thai people & the vaccine, I read a report from The Pattaya Mail yesterday about the vaccinations being organised in the indoor sports stadium, basically the Mayor stated that only Thais with an ID card showing that they are registered as being from Banglamung/ Chonburi would be eligible for the vaccine.

Is this going to go the same way as the local elections whereby if they wanted to vote that they had to go home to do so ? If that's the case it's pretty stupid as the powers that be don't want people travelling unnecessarily. Anyone ??

11 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Net: If over 60 or have underlying conditions, you can get a jab in June.  The rest starting in July.  Only 2 jabs available.  The rest?  Who knows.

Right?

NO, you missed out "AND have a Thai ID"

1 hour ago, rayw said:

Well I hope they keep some Sinovac back for me as it is about the only one I fully trust, though I will accept Sputniuk V.  I wont touch any of the experimental mRNA vaccines epeccially when produced by big corrupt western pharma for big profits rather than for real people care.  So to put it bluntly they can stick Pfizer and Moderna and J&J too where the sun don't shine and I will resort to the professionally acclaimed  Ivermectin as an immediate treatment should I be unlucky enough to get CV19 infected or even for now use it as a safe phrophylactic until I can get a proper safe traditionally made vaccine like Sinovac that I can trust. 

As many are crazily refusing Sinovac then for me that is good as hopefully some will be left for me and for others who rationally feel the same way.  I  am very grateful for the vaccines being offereed free to non Thais who live here permanently either as official residence or on long stay visas like retirement and family visas and feel it is the correct and sensible thing to do.  Many like myself have lived here for many years on annual long stay visa extensions.  For me I have now happily lived here  for nearly 20 years with my only home here in Thailand with my wife.

Note that I am no medical expert but do some sensible rational research on which to base my decisions, so the above is simply what I am personally doing to protect myself against Covid 19.  So I am not suggesting you do the same without carrying out your own reseach and preferably speaking with a good well informed doctor too.

As I am 75, a registered Diabetic 2 sufferer (although well under control by diet and minimum meds), have Chronic Kidney Disease CKD (carefully managed but basically kidneys getting old and worn out) and I am these days obesse at 110 Kg with a high BMI (a lot due to difficulty in exercising with a crumbling spine), I hope I am reasonably high up on the vulnerable list but will wait my turn equally in line with Thai folk.  I do not believe in buying my way to the front of the queue which I find selfish and immoral and my self respect would preclude me from doing so unless I had abolutely no other choice in the end. Even then I would not be stupid enough to be ripped off by some of the obscene ridicuously high Covid vaccine fees at private hospitals that are being anticipated and banded around.  

Anyway despite my age and medical conditions I am enjoying life and very happy here so it is very good to hear the vaccines are at last being fully rolled out, albeit I feel way too late.  So I hope you all stay safe and well and hopefully once we get a good vaccine roll out here I think the lockdowns will end soon and become a thing of the past so we can then promptly return back to the happy normal lives that we had before.  So come on guys less of the moaning here and lets be more positive instead of this crazy eternal negativity. 

There's a lot to digest there but from a purely objective medical ethics POV you are without any doubt high risk and you should be included along with high risk Thai nationals for a vaccine in June which would be either Sinovac or Astra Zenica. But the Thai policy is not to include high risk expats along with high risk Thais on that same schedule and exactly when their policy actually will begin to include this group has not yet been fully clarified (much conflicting information). 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rayw said:

I fully agree with you.

Personally, I have chosen to be part of the 30% in order to let the 70% have their shots, since I am not an at risk person.

Yet, if I needed to be vaccinated, in order to travel for example, I would go with the Sinovac, because it is the only vaccine using the long tested method of injecting a deactivated virus in order to train the organism to recognize it, and react accordingly.

The other vaccines are based on experimental methods (mRNA or adenovirus), and I am comfortable observing others experimenting.

As far as you are concerned, you are certainly part of the high risk group, and I hope for you that you live upcountry, which is safer than Bangkok or Pattaya these days.

In your case, paying 3,000 baht for 2 shots, which is not a rip off, would probably be safer than waiting God knows how long for a free governmental shot...but of course it is for you to decide...

13 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I fully agree with you.

Personally, I have chosen to be part of the 30% in order to let the 70% have their shots, since I am not an at risk person.

Yet, if I needed to be vaccinated, in order to travel for example, I would go with the Sinovac, because it is the only vaccine using the long tested method of injecting a deactivated virus in order to train the organism to recognize it, and react accordingly.

The other vaccines are based on experimental methods (mRNA or adenovirus), and I am comfortable observing others experimenting.

As far as you are concerned, you are certainly part of the high risk group, and I hope for you that you live upcountry, which is safer than Bangkok or Pattaya these days.

In your case, paying 3,000 baht for 2 shots, which is not a rip off, would probably be safer than waiting God knows how long for a free governmental shot...but of course it is for you to decide...

That 3000 baht private hospital deal people keep talking about is not actually available at any price. If only!

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I wouldn't have that Chinese krap or Russkie Sputnik any where near me, call it a hatred of all things commie if you want, I really don't care. 

Russia hasn't been a communist country for a very long time. China is more complicated. They are both run by authoritarian regimes. 

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I wouldn't have that Chinese krap or Russkie Sputnik any where near me, call it a hatred of all things commie if you want, I really don't care. 

First let me inform you that Russia has not been communist for over 30 years now...time to wake up.

With regards to Russian capacities, Americans and others were happy the use the Soyuz rocket in order to reach the space station, the only available spaceship for this purpose.

China for it's part produces almost everything these days, starting with the mobile phone or tablet that you use every day.

Thousands of containers full of Chinese products reach the US and Europe every day, and go back almost empty.

Why make an exception for the vaccine when the world is already entirely dependent on China?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

First let me inform you that Russia has not been communist for over 30 years now...time to wake up.

With regards to Russian capacities, Americans and others were happy the use the Soyuz rocket in order to reach the space station, the only available spaceship for this purpose.

China for it's part produces almost everything these days, starting with the mobile phone or tablet that you use every day.

Thousands of containers full of Chinese products reach the US and Europe every day, and go back almost empty.

Why make an exception for the vaccine when the world is already entirely dependent on China?

@Jingthing& @BrunolemSorry had a red mist descend on me, something to do with being in Germany during the Cold War in the 70's I've had a serious word with myself & apologise profusely, I still wouldn't have either of their jabs ????

On 5/11/2021 at 7:16 AM, lks7689 said:

Comparing Thailand to UK where they have first rights and hoarding supplies of their own vaccine isn't really logical. Even the EU is complaining so. 

What is logical is that the UK has a National Health Service where local residents are already pre-registered with their General Practitioner for health care services thereby making it much easier to organise and put into effect a mass vaccination program not to mention more routine testing as a part of preventative medicine best practices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

What is logical is that the UK has a National Health Service where local residents are already pre-registered with their General Practitioner for health care services thereby making it much easier to organise and put into effect a mass vaccination program not to mention more routine testing as a part of preventative medicine best practices.

What's logical is Thailand has and will in our lifetime, be doing illogical things. What's illogical is to expect otherwise. What's also illogical is people here complaining about it and expecting their complaints can change a culture so deep-rooted in greed and superficiality. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 9:35 AM, Rotweiler said:

The Salk Institute, founded by the "Salk" (Jonas), is a very reputable and quite famous research institute.   While some may not agree with their April study article, it does provided very interesting information on both the Covid19 disease and the vaccine.

What on earth are you talking about? Have you read the actual study?

I have.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.121.318902

On 5/11/2021 at 8:44 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Not really, no. The small box says Thais and permanent residents only. The larger text on the left does not. Depends how they define permanent residents. Yellow card, pink card, citizenship? There are many, many of us who have lived here for many, many years without any of those, yet my guess is we would be classified as non-permanent residents. Such as I, who has lived here for over 25 years.

yes, I was wondering why so few people picked up on that. It clearly says "PR".

Which contradicts statement t government press briefing in 6 May that foreigners would be eligible for vaccine on the same basis as Thais.

I have sent an email to my embassy asking them to urgently see clarification from the Thai government. I suggest all of you aged over 60 or with chronic health problems do the same.

On 5/11/2021 at 11:39 AM, Kadilo said:

Nice skills

I uploaded the entire chart. Thaivisa's software clips it. I would send it in a message if necessary but since you are a wise ass look it up yourself.

On 5/11/2021 at 9:35 AM, Rotweiler said:

The Salk Institute, founded by the "Salk" (Jonas), is a very reputable and quite famous research institute.   While some may not agree with their April study article, it does provided very interesting information on both the Covid19 disease and the vaccine.

Yes, the Salk Institute is reputable. The report is accurate but your understanding of the Sars Covid-19 virus and spike proteins is flawed. The spike proteins, in a small number, are injected into your muscle and quickly dissipated. The virus spike proteins are in the millions and course through your blood stream and react the same way a vascular disease does, thus targeting any weakness. Science requires not only reading, but careful understanding and interpretation and analysis. The flaw comments such as the one you state have been posted multiple times on FB and other social media causing doubt in people who are seeking information on the virus and whether to be vaccinated or not. Support an article that is dense to read with objective research and professional opinions not just fear and doubt. Here is disputing evidence and professional opinion that destroys your argument: https://factcheck.afp.com/posts-misrepresent-us-study-dangers-coronavirus-spike-protein

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 9:57 AM, lks7689 said:

What I'm trying to say is, it's every one and dog for himself right now. Obviously some countries are more successful than others in procuring vaccines but bottom line is, did anyone really expect Thailand to be among those in front of the queue? Those who did really got a lot to learn because it won't be the last time they will be disappointed.

Hi Iks, no one expected them to be at the front of the queue, but I for one, did expect them to join the bloody queue.

12 hours ago, mickmac said:

Hi Iks, no one expected them to be at the front of the queue, but I for one, did expect them to join the bloody queue.

You probably didn't dwell deep enough into thai culture. It took me years before I realised it myself.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 10:44 AM, Jeffr2 said:

That's about the right number for jabs.  Delaying the inevitable?  Most countries around the world are scrambling for jabs.  There's a HUGE demand and a very limited supply.  What's out there is being bought up by the rich countries.

I did not write any of this. it is either a hack or the system is assigning the wrong author. Troubling!

• Like 1