New speed limits

Over the last few months there has been several occasions when an increase in speed limits have been mentioned.

120kmh on dual, carriageway roads, been mentioned.

Earlier in the year I went down to the coast to get away from the burning.

I asked an old Thai friend of 19 years when the new speed limits would be in force.

Now, Now, you can travel at 120 kph.

Hum, well that was 3 speeding fines I came back to.

So please inform me if the increase is happening and when if known.

john

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The devil is in the details:  the new limit only applies to divided 4-lane highways, and does not apply if the road has intersections or U-turns.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/speed-limit-on-thailands-highways-increased-to-120-kilometres-an-hou

Your link is incomplete (an "r" missing at the end)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I asked an old Thai friend of 19 years when the new speed limits would be in force.

Now, Now, you can travel at 120 kph.

Hum, well that was 3 speeding fines I came back to.

How can such an expert be wrong ????

The new speed limit has been introduced to a very limited part of the 4 lane highway network (see post of @Oxx  ).

AND: The new limits must be explicitly identified by signs.

No sign, no 120. But 90 as usual.

Three tickets cost you at least 1500?

3 hours ago, Sophon said:

Your link is incomplete (an "r" missing at the end)

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/speed-limit-on-thailands-highways-increased-to-120-kilometres-an-hour

Worth reading as there are a couple of details like minimum speed in the rightmost lane, lower limits for motorcycles etc.

These roads will be a frightening hunting ground for minibus drivers and other racers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The new speed limit has been introduced to a very limited part of the 4 lane highway network (see post of @Oxx  ).

SERPENTLY DID. In fact B1,5060, bank fee B20/transaction.

Cant repeat my Best Anglo Saxon to my Thai friend.

john

" The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns. "

Hum, trying to think where roads free of such conditions exist between Chiang Mai and the south coast.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

john

Just now, jonwilly said:

" The increased maximum limit will not apply to any roads that have intersections or U-turns. "

Hum, trying to think where roads free of such conditions exist between Chiang Mai and the south coast.

john

Well I guess that limits between CM and the south will not change then! 

3 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

john

On the 32 highway, the first 50km’s from Bang Pa-in to Ang Thong has no intersections, or U - turns ( presumably this means central reservation as U turn bridges and underpasses are present )

The 50 km stretch is all 4 lane highway except for 8 km where it reduces to 3 .

The new speed limits are clearly signposted, 80kph, 100kph, 100kph and finally 120kph Max + 100kph Min.

5 hours ago, jonwilly said:

john

My mask turns black in no time at 90kh so going 110 on my motorcycle it will be black in half the time. Maybe they should reduced the speed as these masks are not cheap?

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

555 dont ask thais they always want to keep us happy right or wrong they dont care

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

My mask turns black in no time at 90kh so going 110 on my motorcycle it will be black in half the time. Maybe they should reduced the speed as these masks are not cheap?

Not sure. How much is half of no time?

And have you considered driving at 90 even if the limit is higher? It would save a fortune on masks.

19 hours ago, vandeventer said:

When I ride I stay more than 2m from any on my mates, so don't need to wear a mask

But actually I wear a balaclava to keep sweat away from my helmet liner. It is already black!

Edited by VocalNeal

2 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

Bangkok to Pattaya motorway (from Suvarnabhumi airport) all the way 120 kms speed limit.

Have the 90 limits on the klong bridges been removed? I hope you have good suspension.