Phuket: Brits busted for flouting Covid regulations at illegal pool villa party

webfact

Me thinks, this ABSURD situation which is blown out of all proportion, into an alleged "big deal". When really it was obviously a half dozen family/friends in an enclosed yard, with a swimming pool.

Apparently a national security threat!

Or perhaps a prelude to tomorrows Headline story; Gov declares farangs are naughty, they must now pay for Covid vaccinations!

Of course this will probably be followed the day after by YET ANOTHER flip flop story.

????

5 minutes ago, Spock said:

The Thais will probably side with the authorities and condemn the actions of the 6 foreigners despite the fact that there is no reason to do so, I am losing respect for Thai people, particularly the politicians, police and media who inflame this xenophobic nonsense. 

Please don't blame ALL Thais for the actions you disapprove of, any more than SOME Brits or Americans letting the side down .

In the case of the OP it might not be xenophobic but just being over zealous, or some bad blood spilling over by the neighbours.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:
6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think it is.  

I think you are wrong my friend. Restaurants and hotels are open and welcoming customers, all welcome, friends family and other. As long as the group is under 20

I don't think that I am, they weren't in a restauarant or a hotel, it was a private gathering that contravenes current Covid restrictions, that's why they were charged!

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My lot just left to have a meal with their family.

Almost everyone in the village is related, there'll probably be 10-15 people there.

How did the Thai police know these 6 people weren't family?

Good for you.

"How did the Thai police know these 6 people weren't family?"

I don't know, perhaps they asked them before the charges were made, looked at passports?

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Good for you.

"How did the Thai police know these 6 people weren't family?"

I don't know, perhaps they asked them before the charges were made, looked at passports?

They were family

"total of only six people at a family gathering at a private home in Baan Layan"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Still under 20 that is the rule, what part of that do you not understand?

That's the rule for public events, not private parties, apparently.  To quote your unnecessarily aggressive response, "what part of that do you not understand?"

9 hours ago, webfact said:

partygoers were from "the land of gentlemen" - a common Thai reference to Britain,

This is what got me. Britain is certainly NOT the land of gentlemen. I'm in hysterics....how in Gods name do they think this?..???? 

Silly me, I forgot. Thailand is full of British gentlemen .... we see wonderful entertaining stories every day here of their gentlemanly antics all over Thailand!! True ambassadors for Britain. 

Their great white leader Boring Johnson is a fine example of a true Brit gentleman....superbly groomed, neat as a pin, honest to a fault, ethical, humble, truthful at all times, leader of morals, his word is his bond in international agreements, and a truly caring human being.

Yes, a fine example of a true leading British gentleman in a land of gentlemen.

Britain has for sure some gentlemen left .... but fast disappearing I am sorry to observe (not unlike many other countries). 

8 hours ago, Joe2050 said:

Gathering of more than 20 people is prohibited in dark red zone, so what? I can see only 7 guys here...

APR29.jpg

Yes you correct, you forget important factor, "Bad Falang" I think neighbour dont like falang and report him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bdenner said:

What is news worthy is how ridiculous this criminal offence appears NOT to be. Doesn't Pol Col Peerachat Pombunmee have anything better to do.

Oh sorry there is a business opportunity here!

Yep .. 6 x 5000 + 2500 for the kid ... Yahoooooo 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Maybe you are.   Where in the OP, or the link, did it state that they were all one family?

You could try some research aside from one OP article 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/brits-fined-b6-000-in-phuket-for-illegal-family-gathering-of-six-79970.php

The comments here are based on the Thaivisa OP, there's no link to the one you posted.

However, the link that you did post does not say that all those present were all family members.  It does say, though...

"“For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others, except traditional events, such as funerals, weddings, or ordination. If the event cannot be postponed, the organiser must strictly follow the disease control measure to reduce the risk to spread the disease.” 

To use your own words, maybe "you could try some more research" into the linked articles you post.

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

But under 20 people so within the law.

...for public events!

“For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others, except traditional events, such as funerals, weddings, or ordination. If the event cannot be postponed, the organiser must strictly follow the disease control measure to reduce the risk to spread the disease.” 

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The comments here are based on the Thaivisa OP, there's no link to the one you posted.

However, the link that you did post does not say that all those present were all family members.  It does say, though...

"“For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others, except traditional events, such as funerals, weddings, or ordination. If the event cannot be postponed, the organiser must strictly follow the disease control measure to reduce the risk to spread the disease.” 

To use your own words, maybe "you could try some more research" into the linked articles you post.

I did, thats why you read the article I linked to which also says:

"total of only six people at a family gathering at a private home in Baan Layan" from the article.

Besides which this whole thread is about why the police classified this as a party which it clearly was not, that was their accusation and basis for the charges.

• Haha 1