Phuket: Brits busted for flouting Covid regulations at illegal pool villa party

webfact

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...for public events!

“For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others, except traditional events, such as funerals, weddings, or ordination. If the event cannot be postponed, the organiser must strictly follow the disease control measure to reduce the risk to spread the disease.” 

Agreed. But it was none of those you listed. Just a few together for a swim in the pool. No organization required.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, pagallim said:

I don't believe that a Sunday lunch at the home of a long term Phuket resident, with his wife's sister and husband, and another couple, fall under the category of 'party'.   I've already posted this, but all Phuket restaurants remain open currently (at least those who choose to do so) but with no alcohol sales, though opening hours are restricted (no late evening).   Those that are open can be quite crowded, especially at weekends.   There is no restriction on alchol sales from shops, as there is no restriction on alcohol consumption in the home.

For many of us, a glass of wine or a beer with a meal at home is quite normal.

Find the video. It's all about a crazy Thai neighbor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pagallim said:

I will post this again, very same evening and day in Wichit.   Anyone want to bet that there is no SangSom/Hong Thong/Regency under the table?

184280491_4304443042933839_5716456067015883138_n.jpeg

Looks like fun. But just the kind of event that can spread the virus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I did, thats why you read the article I linked to which also says:

"total of only six people at a family gathering at a private home in Baan Layan" from the article.

Besides which this whole thread is about why the police classified this as a party which it clearly was not, that was their accusation and basis for the charges.

But, clearly, they weren't all the same family, that's why the owners were charged and the police also want to charge the other visitors!

How come you didn't read this part of your own link?...

“For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others, except traditional events, such as funerals, weddings, or ordination. If the event cannot be postponed, the organiser must strictly follow the disease control measure to reduce the risk to spread the disease.” 

"Besides which this whole thread is about why the police classified this as a party..."

The whole thread is actually about the OP, which is about a group of people who flouted the current Covid restrictions.    

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

not the photos I was expecting..

Bikini clad girls and beach balls with buckets of champagne was the visual i was expecting to see.  Not a pensioner borefest

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But, clearly, they weren't all the same family, that's why the owners were charged and the police also want to charge the other visitors!

"Besides which this whole thread is about why the police classified this as a party..."

The whole thread is actually about the OP, which is about a group of people who flouted the current Covid restrictions.    

The OP is a translated piece from a Thai news outlet, I am quoting directly from a source English media in Phuket.

So are you really trying to tell me that in my family of 3 at home, myself, my wife and my daughter that if we then invite my son, his girlfriend and their young daughter whose birthday it is over for a Sunday lunch next week by the pool we are breaking the law?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Please link to the exact ruling where it states that the 20 rule is only for public events and not for private gatherings be that at a home or hotel, venue or other.

If you can't do that then your whole argument is built on speculation

I don't need to link to anything, you're the one disputing the Covid restrictions that do not allow parties.   

There is no speculation, whatsoever, in my comments.  If what I post is "speculation" then perhaps you can explain why the owners were arrested and fined for contravening current C-19 laws and the police want to do the same with the other visitors?

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, pagallim said:

I don't believe that a Sunday lunch at the home of a long term Phuket resident, with his wife's sister and husband, and another couple, fall under the category of 'party'.   I've already posted this, but all Phuket restaurants remain open currently (at least those who choose to do so) but with no alcohol sales, though opening hours are restricted (no late evening).   Those that are open can be quite crowded, especially at weekends.   There is no restriction on alchol sales from shops, as there is no restriction on alcohol consumption in the home.

They weren't at a restaurant and restaurant regulations do not apply to home gatherings that contravene current restrictions!   I know that you don't like it but the restrictions are there, regardless.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed. But it was none of those you listed. Just a few together for a swim in the pool. No organization required.  LOL

“For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others..."

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, pagallim said:

I will post this again, very same evening and day in Wichit.   Anyone want to bet that there is no SangSom/Hong Thong/Regency under the table?

184280491_4304443042933839_5716456067015883138_n.jpeg

That appears to be 14 people in a restaurant, which doesn't contravene current restrictions..   The OP is about private social gatherings that do!

• Confused 3

10 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

6 people and a child of around 11 or 12 years old have a get together around the pool and its called an illegal party? Surely we're missing something here as this is just bizarre.

It may be bizarre but it's the law. Just like the UK had it's silly laws invoked by the ministry of silly walks so too the equivalent here have that entitlement in their own place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Drinking alcohol with a group of people is a no-no during Covid time. You might spread the virus to your neighbours when you are drunk.

Which is why bars are closed in Phuket, and restaurants cannot sell alcohol.   Home consumption is permitted.

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:
16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

The OP is a translated piece from a Thai news outlet, I am quoting directly from a source English media in Phuket.

So are you really trying to tell me that in my family of 3 at home, myself, my wife and my daughter that if we then invite my son, his girlfriend and their young daughter whose birthday it is over for a Sunday lunch next week by the pool we are breaking the law?

It's not me that's telling you that, it's the police, and yes, that does seem to be the case.    I don't agree with it, same as many people, but not agreeing with it doesn't give anyone carte blanche to break the current restrictions, does it?

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's not me that's telling you that, it's the police, and yes, that does seem to be the case.    I don't agree with it, same as many people, but not agreeing with it doesn't give anyone carte blanche to break the current restrictions, does it?

There is no law against it unless it is a party. That is the definition.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pagallim said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't need to link to anything, you're the one disputing the Covid restrictions that do not allow parties.   

There is no speculation, whatsoever, in my comments.  If what I post is "speculation" then perhaps you can explain why the owners were arrested and fined for contravening current C-19 laws and the police want to do the same with the other visitors?

I must admit, posts demonstrating naivety like this make me call into question whether the poster is actually resident in Thailand or not.

What's so "naïve" about my posts in this context and, even if I was not a Thailand resident, what difference would that make to my observations about this thread?     

Are you disputing that the current Covid restriction regarding home gatherings is in force?

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

What's so "naïve" about my posts in this context and, even if I was not a Thailand resident, what difference would that make to my observations about this thread?     

Are you disputing that the current Covid restriction regarding home gatherings is in force?

If two separate small families rent a holiday villa together for the weekend which they are perfectly able to do. Do you really think they are breaking the law by eating together in the villa?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thats the whole point, it was not a "party" it was a family gathering, its the police on who classified it as a party with no justification just because of a lonely disgruntled Thai neighbor informed them

From a police spokesman regarding this specific occasion...

For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others, except traditional events, such as funerals, weddings, or ordination. If the event cannot be postponed, the organiser must strictly follow the disease control measure to reduce the risk to spread the disease.” 

If you dispute that, argue with the police about their statement, not me, I don't agree with it, either.    The word "party" does not come into it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1