Thai wife holiday to uk - her finances

Apologies first I’m sure there used to be a pinned option for topics but can’t find it.

Please ignore covid- I am prepping for a covid free scenario next year.

Married, no thai visa issues at all live in Thaliland 3 years same condo with wife. So no complications that side.

Want to get her a simple genuine tourist visa to uk for 3 weeks going with me to stay at family and visit sites etc. Boring lots of picture taking for me!

Financials are question. Mine are somewhat complex the old living in 2 countries sort of thing.

There’s no advice really on application of what is considered adequate proof of funds for my wife.

I’m sure fairly common scenario- she doesn’t work or pay bills and I give her spending money each month.  18k baht on first of month bank transfer.

So I put this on form. It then asks for savings but also how much she intends to spend. I just guessed at like 75k shopping.

Now I don’t want to tie up even more cash parked in a thai bank account as her ‘savings’ but guessing needs some.

Any thoughts or experience of what a good amount to park in her account would be as savings?

Sorry if that’s long but wanted to answer as many questions as possible.

Assuming leglly married: Just say that you are going to cover all her costs and estimate what they might be. Last time I applied for a visa I wrote that and I estimated the cost of her visit to be about 2k Pounds. 

• Like 2

As per the previous advice, save that you don't actually have to be married you only have to satisfy the decision maker that you're in a subsisting relationship, akin to marriage, my wife when you was my girlfriend was granted a number of visas before we were actually married.

You mention the "living in two countries scenario" are you actually living here in Thailand, or in the UK?

If you're spending a lot of time in the UK the decision maker, rightly or wrongly, assume that your wife wants to go and live in the UK, if you are living in two countries you might like to clarify your positions.

If you're financing the trip you need to prove that it's affordable for you to do so, and provide evidence of your finances.

You're right in thinking that it's unwise to pad your wifes account prior to her application, that's a red flag, she should also confirm the fact that your financing the trip, and if her savings are limited, then she should say so.

There's no set amount as there are too many variable, plans for the trip, where you will be staying etc, provide details in your covering note, maybe provide an indicitive figure based on your expectations of the cost to you. If there's no cost for your wife then she should say so, maybe including a small amount for incidentals. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

As per the previous advice, save that you don't actually have to be married you only have to satisfy the decision maker that you're in a subsisting relationship, akin to marriage, my wife when you was my girlfriend was granted a number of visas before we were actually married.

You mention the "living in two countries scenario" are you actually living here in Thailand, or in the UK?

If you're spending a lot of time in the UK the decision maker, rightly or wrongly, assume that your wife wants to go and live in the UK, if you are living in two countries you might like to clarify your positions.

If you're financing the trip you need to prove that it's affordable for you to do so, and provide evidence of your finances.

You're right in thinking that it's unwise to pad your wifes account prior to her application, that's a red flag, she should also confirm the fact that your financing the trip, and if her savings are limited, then she should say so.

There's no set amount as there are too many variable, plans for the trip, where you will be staying etc, provide details in your covering note, maybe provide an indicitive figure based on your expectations of the cost to you. If there's no cost for your wife then she should say so, maybe including a small amount for incidentals. 

thanks yes I’m probably being paranoid.

sorry to be clear I do live In thailand. Just moneywise that means got assets but spread between uk and thailand then the middle bit of investment world.

13 minutes ago, barsie said:

sorry to be clear I do live In thailand. Just moneywise that means got assets but spread between uk and thailand then the middle bit of investment world.

Assuming you're travelling with her, you just need to show that there is enough money to cover the trip (flights, hotels, food etc).  If you're paying you just need a copy of your bank book (or UK account if you'll be using that) to show you have the funds.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

A lot of hassle and forms for a 3 week holiday.

Day after day we have endless complaining for Brits saying Thai immigration is racist etc.

Brits coming to Thailand for a three week holiday get free visa on arrival. 

Thats not the topic of the thread however

• Like 1

3 hours ago, barsie said:

I think I have done 10 visa applications now for my wife, although the last one was never used. I have never submitted any documents in respect of my wife's finances.

As mentioned previously I write a supporting letter stating that I will meet all costs relating to the trip and attach proof of income and bank statement. I also point out that we will travel to the UK and return to Thailand together and we have insurance for the trip. I take it you will also be travelling together. It is also worth including in the letter reasons for the trip and where you intend to stay, but best kept to a single page. As well as the marriage certificate, I also include a copy of my yellow book.

As far as the form is concerned, the cost to her is zero and I just put nominal amounts elsewhere.

• Like 2

Some good advice on the replies. There only interest is that she will leave before the end of her visa. When completing the forms be honest. Shouldn’t be any reason why she should get rejected, as you’re a married couple. My wife has had 3 tourist visas over about the last 10 years.

Filling in forms for a trip next year?  That's very organised.  My wife made several holiday trips both with me and to meet me in the UK (I went ahead for business).  When it comes to how much she intended to spend and the cost of the trip to her the answer was always ZERO and I can vouch that she did indeed never spend a penny/satang of her own money even though her bag was always more full on the return journey.

Having done many times for NZ & OZ just remember that it is HER application.

Tell her to be honest if you are paying for everything.

What does she have here to come back to, believe me, tell her to be ready for this question ,,,Home, work, family etc

• Like 1

I have done it a couple of times to the UK for my wife.

The main consideration for the decision maker is, does she have a REASON to return to Thailand!!

I know a couple of people who were knocked back because they could not supply sufficient evidence of their return to satisfy the decision maker. 

As you live together in Thailand you will not have a problem with reasons to return and the financial position has already been well covered.  This should be as straightforward an application as you can get.