Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Cheapest possible way to build small dwelling…


Recommended Posts

What ever you build make sure it does not get flooded in the rainy season.

I think standard built will be the best because who can build a dome?

Unless you want to do it yourself.

I have seen some very small houses and a lot of people do not want more then they need.

Twenty to thirty sq meters seems to be enough for basic living.

Depending where you are bamboo could be an option?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i would build it on top of 2 meter long concrete pillars,

floor and walls in concrete,

the space below can be used as a makeshift garage

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

Basically I’ve bought some extremely cheap land (via Thai girlfriend)

 

so this or something like it would be the next plan.

Firstly be careful I can't buy land, I can only have a lease agreement on it.

 

Secondly why build something in the Lord of the Rings for Hobbit's.

 

There's containers you can buy and covert into accommodation case you get kicked off the land.

 

You could build a lean-to Cabin style home. 

 

Lay a concrete slap 10cm thick to your selected size.

Global house has cheap steel to make frame and roof structure.

The frame can have windows and door frames.

External can ship-lapped with Sheara plank.

Internal can Insulate with foam board and plasterboard.

Roof underside plaster board or ceiling tiles

Roof cover with corrugated steel sheet roof with fiberglass.

Example style.

f049920a7c5a16f15e8853ec1cbd751e.jpg.93e152c4bbd1e245767e65ba9690c458.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Google building low cost home in Thailand.

It is all about size, budget builds can be as low as 7/8000 baht a square metre.

That is far higher than a basic Thai house build. SWMBO built a less than basic house for her grandmother with some good quality stuff for under 4,800 per square meter it included a very big balcony. 

3,000 is achievable without cutting corners 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

 

This is an interesting low cost. scalable building methodology from Jon Jandai in Chang Mai

 

This is very interesting - I’d be happy to pay to have them build say two of these. That would be lore than enough I think. Thanks for posting. I’ll check out their website.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

It’s literally just to give them a better shelter than what they have at the moment. 

Good to hear of your kindness. 👍

Can the shelter they live in now is there anyway that could be renovated.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is far higher than a basic Thai house build. SWMBO built a less than basic house for her grandmother with some good quality stuff for under 4,800 per square meter it included a very big balcony. 

3,000 is achievable without cutting corners 

Yes there are always those that will scrape along the bottom, and seen a fair amount of the handiwork, you can put your hand through the cracks in the wall.

It is a judgement call that the OP will have to make.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Yes there are always those that will scrape along the bottom, and seen a fair amount of the handiwork, you can put your hand through the cracks in the wall.

It is a judgement call that the OP will have to make.

There are certainly poor quality builds.
 

However SWMBO certainly did not scrape along the bottom. The build I mentioned at under 5,000 by SWMBO is now going on 9 years old and still in good condition. The paint has bleached a little and a few light bulbs have been replaced. 
 

it isn’t somewhere I would live but is better than the OP is asking for. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are certainly poor quality builds.
 

However SWMBO certainly did not scrape along the bottom. The build I mentioned at under 5,000 by SWMBO is now going on 9 years old and still in good condition. The paint has bleached a little and a few light bulbs have been replaced. 
 

it isn’t somewhere I would live but is better than the OP is asking for. 

5K/sq m would be at least 7/8 now if not more. It is 11 years since I built mine and I bought all the materials. They are all up a good bit, in particular steel which is about twice the price it was.

Last week I bought some hollow section, it was 201 baht/length, just a couple of years ago it was about 140.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Good to hear of your kindness. 👍

Can the shelter they live in now is there anyway that could be renovated.

I’m not too sure to be honest. I’ll try and attach the only picture I have. Apparently the roof leaks a lot so my girlfriends brother is going to buy some replacement (looks like corrugated iron to me for a few hundred baht and try and fix it). It has no electricity (they use candles for lighting and no fans), no water (walk to the nearest damn somewhere). The brother said the 6 year old is covered in mosquito bites (which totally freaked him out as his wife nearly died from dengue fever just a month ago), and generally speaking it’s all sounding a bit grim. He brought them some rice that should last them about a month.


My initial thoughts was to raze the whole lot and have someone build something. But maybe it can be renovated / added to. Very hard for me to tell from the picture. I think the farm is in the background and that’s where they go to the toilet… I think the land size that was “annexed” from the main farm and purchased is 400 sqm - but a lot can be lost in translation. To me that’s fairly big for what they need.

5B432821-8059-4E43-ADE6-AEA694C069E1.jpeg

Edited by ncc1701d
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Buy a "knockdown" or a "Container".

2143329931_woodenhouse.jpg.3d1b770e4ff25e82b1f1f1999d67be89.jpg

Yes this may be the easiest thing to do. I have sent an email to the punpun people posted by MAF666, but highly doubt there will be anyone or group where the property is that can do a similar thing. I wouldn’t even know where to start looking. So I think the knockdown may be the best. Thanks for the picture and idea. 

Edited by ncc1701d
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are certainly poor quality builds.
 

However SWMBO certainly did not scrape along the bottom. The build I mentioned at under 5,000 by SWMBO is now going on 9 years old and still in good condition. The paint has bleached a little and a few light bulbs have been replaced. 
 

it isn’t somewhere I would live but is better than the OP is asking for. 

Can I ask what this is referring to? SWMBO is a TV poster? Or it’s a company that builds?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

Can I ask what this is referring to? SWMBO is a TV poster? Or it’s a company that builds?

It is from Sir Henry Rider Haggard’s KBE  book She published in 1887 that has been made into 10 movies from 1899 to 2001 . Your education is sadly lacking, sir. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

I’m not too sure to be honest. I’ll try and attach the only picture I have. Apparently the roof leaks a lot so my girlfriends brother is going to buy some replacement (looks like corrugated iron to me for a few hundred baht and try and fix it). It has no electricity (they use candles for lighting and no fans), no water (walk to the nearest damn somewhere). The brother said the 6 year old is covered in mosquito bites (which totally freaked him out as his wife nearly died from dengue fever just a month ago), and generally speaking it’s all sounding a bit grim. He brought them some rice that should last them about a month.


My initial thoughts was to raze the whole lot and have someone build something. But maybe it can be renovated / added to. Very hard for me to tell from the picture. I think the farm is in the background and that’s where they go to the toilet… I think the land size that was “annexed” from the main farm and purchased is 400 sqm - but a lot can be lost in translation. To me that’s fairly big for what they need.

5B432821-8059-4E43-ADE6-AEA694C069E1.jpeg

Not easy to say or how much you wish to help but here another few pointers. 

The ready made small cabins they dismantle and re-errect on site for people to buy and use as guesthouse accommodation last time I look were about 35k-40k, moskito nets are cheap, to install 5/15 is not a great cost nor is govt water, I also wonder whether the old lady is aware or knows that she can get help from govt social help office. 

A heartbreak situation.

 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 9:14 AM, sandyf said:

Google building low cost home in Thailand.

It is all about size, budget builds can be as low as 7/8000 baht a square metre

sound about right,get away with between 300,00 and 600,000

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What part of the country is the new home to be built?

Are you in Thailand to over see the building? and possible be involved with purchasing materials?

Has the land actually been transferred to your girlfriend legally by the Government office? it sounds as if the land has to be rezoned first. If it has not been actually transferred then DO Not build a thing......the structure you could be building might just end up with the original owner and not your girlfriend

 

Drp me you email and we can sort ylou out easier then listening to all these negative and unhelpful opinions.

 

Yes I built a home up country a few years back.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 11:55 AM, ncc1701d said:

This is very interesting - I’d be happy to pay to have them build say two of these. That would be lore than enough I think. Thanks for posting. I’ll check out their website.

Absolutely admirable of you to help out in this way. Pity there were not more like you. Are you able to speak to a local builder ? they are generally the cheapest and know the area. In our village a government grant given to the village boss resulted in two people having a roof over their heads. The local builder did the work for free as they were village people and the grant paid for all materials. The cost without labour or the land cost around 80,000 baht for a post and blockwork dwelling with corrugated roof containing a living/sleeping area, toilet and a covered cooking area. Size was about 4 mtrs x 8 mtrs and was adequate for a Mum and daughter. By adequate I main safe and watertight with basic amenities.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 1:19 PM, Kwasaki said:

Firstly be careful I can't buy land, I can only have a lease agreement on it.

 

Secondly why build something in the Lord of the Rings for Hobbit's.

 

There's containers you can buy and covert into accommodation case you get kicked off the land.

 

You could build a lean-to Cabin style home. 

 

Lay a concrete slap 10cm thick to your selected size.

Global house has cheap steel to make frame and roof structure.

The frame can have windows and door frames.

External can ship-lapped with Sheara plank.

Internal can Insulate with foam board and plasterboard.

Roof underside plaster board or ceiling tiles

Roof cover with corrugated steel sheet roof with fiberglass.

Example style.

f049920a7c5a16f15e8853ec1cbd751e.jpg.93e152c4bbd1e245767e65ba9690c458.jpg

 

 

 

 

Lean to cabin style home in Timber won't last long in Thailand termites will eat it in two years.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

 my wooded farmhouse is still standing after more than 100years

 

Creosote ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not easy to say or how much you wish to help but here another few pointers. 

The ready made small cabins they dismantle and re-errect on site for people to buy and use as guesthouse accommodation last time I look were about 35k-40k, moskito nets are cheap, to install 5/15 is not a great cost nor is govt water, I also wonder whether the old lady is aware or knows that she can get help from govt social help office. 

A heartbreak situation.

 

Yes the small cabin idea is probably what I’ll look into. I’ve been quoted 15,700 to dig the bore water hole, install underground pump and above ground tank. I’ll look into drinking water delivery as has been suggested here which sounds pretty cheap. The older lady probably has no idea about any government help. I’ll ask my girlfriend to look into it. Thanks for the post.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...