Thailand reports 1,919 COVID-19 cases, 31 new deaths

webfact

31 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Time for a game of "Play Your Covid Cards Right"

So todays figure was 1919, will it be higher or lower tomorrow?

I can safely say that it will be higher or lower than 1919.  I'm also drunk.

9 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Petey11, I don't think it is a question of whether the testing is ample or not. 

Instead, the question is how strategic is the testing being done?

I think that all countries around the world agree that it would be counterproductive to conduct mass testing of the population, even if you had the resources to do it.   You would come up with too many negatives and not be able to react quickly to the next outbreak.

Instead, what I think Thailand is doing is to conduct targeted testing of those communities when sample surveillance shows the positivity rate (infections per persons tested) exceeds a certain level.

That seems to me to be the most efficient use of testing resources.

But please feel free to propose an alternative strategy to contain the epidemic, 18 months after its emergence in Thailand.

Utter nonsense. During an outbreak countries around the world encourage everyone to get tested.

How can the UK of tested 1,200,000 people yesterday using your strategy above?

Go ahead and name one country that has adopted the above strategy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

The wife just received a phone call from the local hospital to cancel an appointment. The hospital is now closed. I had reported on other threads that we had a local outbreak in a small village on the weekend. There has been a testing unit up here all day and they have now closed the hospital so there must have been more positives. We are now in a dark red zone according to the wife (but she might not know the fell situation).

You are in Phetchabun, so those numbers should be reflected in the national reports soon.

When you say the hospital is closed, I suspect you mean the hospital has cancelled elective surgeries and the like.

18 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are in Phetchabun, so those numbers should be reflected in the national reports soon.

When you say the hospital is closed, I suspect you mean the hospital has cancelled elective surgeries and the like.

I am only getting this from my wife but she got a call from the hospital to cancel an appointment on the 16th for a niece that has a broken finger. The hospital has a big outpatients section, probably 100+ per day and apparently the outpatients has been closed.

A 7/11 has also closed to be cleaned. There are three here so you would expect all of them to be done unless the closed one was due to contact tracing.

Just now, anchadian said:

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1392285652587212802BREAKING: Thai health ministry reporting 34 deaths and

1,983 cases on Wednesday. Full update at 12:30pm.

8 May: 2,419 - 19 dead

9 May: 2,101 - 17 dead

10 May: 1,630 - 22 dead

11 May: 1,919 - 31 dead

12 May: 1,983 - 34 dead <— TODAY

At this rate covid deaths are going to start to overtake road deaths daily. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

How many positives do we have today?

Nearly 2000.

Ok then that's enough mass testing for today, see ya again tomorrow!

Some people feel that the numbers coming in at the same level every day for a few weeks means there is something wrong with the numbers, but the state of California reports similar numbers every day, somewhere around 2000 new cases, and there are some countries like UAE where the numbers have been in the same range for months.

20 hours ago, placeholder said:

My reply was to someone who made a false claim about the first wave being the worst.

As for the flu. It's been noted many times before that this year flu is virtually nonexistent around the world. That's unprecedented.

And again.....Does Thailand have any records to prove that? Because honestly this current wave is tiny by anyone's standards. Your graph does not include Thailand does it?

Secondly about the lack of Flu........most countries have been racking everything up as Covid including any flu like symptoms

In the USA folks were told to self isolate if any symptoms & everyone did...who tested those?

So yeah call it unprecedented or call it obvious ????  or better yet add it to the hype heap ????

Edited by meechai

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

A new high in the death category, ugh.  Yes we know it happens, but it is sad to realize that this is possibly a direct result of Songkran Travel which was blessed by the powers to be.  On Another front 1,983 cases, is starting to run in line with where we have been, and seems to actually be stagnated, and a flat line as others would say.  The bigger question is how many tests were done to obtain todays numbers, and what is the positivity rate.  What are the hospital numbers and how many are in critical/serious conditions, and how many on respirators.  Yes I know, these questions will be answered soon.  My condominium has now banned any outsiders from entering the premises, even into the lobby until the end of May.  I had scheduled a supplier to start work on retiling two of my 4 balconies with wooden raised sections so that you could walk out when it was raining without walking through puddles, but that will now have to wait.  Apparently a cleaning staff member was found to have covid, as one supplier working in another unit on a remodel.  So full disinfection has now been done again.  Stay safe folks.

Strange time to schedule outsiders into your space? And you didn’t,t delay it yourself? Sure doesn’t sound like you .

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Strange time to schedule outsiders into your space? And you didn’t,t delay it yourself? Sure doesn’t sound like you .

They wear the proper gear and would have placed plastic barriers up from the entrance to the work areas, disinfecting as they went.  Not hard to do. I still go to the hospital for my appointments as well.  The contract also was written to include their safety as well. Work was contracted out 5 months ago, after my unit had a minor flood due to the existing tile configuration.

Edited by ThailandRyan

18 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Some people feel that the numbers coming in at the same level every day for a few weeks means there is something wrong with the numbers, but the state of California reports similar numbers every day, somewhere around 2000 new cases, and there are some countries like UAE where the numbers have been in the same range for months.

Per capita California and UAE perform far more tests daily so one can have more confidence in numbers.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The UAE ranks 21 out of 180 countries for transparency and corruption and Thailand ranks 104th.Quite a big difference really.The US ranks 25.

https://www.transparency.org/en/countries/united-arab-emirates

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The UAE ranks 21 out of 180 countries for transparency and corruption and Thailand ranks 104th.Quite a big difference really.The US ranks 25.

https://www.transparency.org/en/countries/united-arab-emirates

The issue on the table is the flatline that has resulted from the daily numbers.

the poster insinuated that the numbers were fake because they were flat. I provided examples of other places with flat numbers.

Your issue seems to be that the numbers are fraudulent. Please provide proof.

If someone replies that the numbers are real, it’s just that there isn’t enough sampling, that would ignore reality.  If the positivity rate is increasing, even a small sample will show it. The only way to hide an increase in positivity under the current Thai sampling process is to fake the numbers.

32 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Per capita California and UAE perform far more tests daily so one can have more confidence in numbers.

Even if Thailand samples a handful every day, if the positivity rate is increasing, a small sample will reflect that increase; in fact, a small sample could amplify a small increase in positivity.

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Even if Thailand samples a handful every day, if the positivity rate is increasing, a small sample will reflect that increase; in fact, a small sample could amplify a small increase in positivity.

Thats a different subject nothing at all to do with my response to your post

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The issue on the table is the flatline that has resulted from the daily numbers.

the poster insinuated that the numbers were fake because they were flat. I provided examples of other places with flat numbers.

Your issue seems to be that the numbers are fraudulent. Please provide proof.

If someone replies that the numbers are real, it’s just that there isn’t enough sampling, that would ignore reality.  If the positivity rate is increasing, even a small sample will show it. The only way to hide an increase in positivity under the current Thai sampling process is to fake the numbers.

Who said the numders are fraudulent or fake. Please provide proof of your claim

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Who said the numders are fraudulent or fake. Please provide proof of your claim

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

How many positives do we have today?

Nearly 2000.

Ok then that's enough mass testing for today, see ya again tomorrow!

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

This is argument for the current sad state of testing in Thailand.

At the very least, there should be some random sampling in every province, every day.

I am surprised at your reaction.  Your other posts on the subject seem to indicate you are a voice of reason.

I have access to information that indicates that the Thai MOPH is indeed conducting random sampling (or sentinel surveillance, if you will) on risk populations for Covid-19. 

The fact that you do no hear about it or what the results are does not indicate that it isn't being done.

I would like the MOPH to take the time to tell everyone about the testing they are doing. 

But it would probably fall on deaf or incomprehending ears as typified by many on this forum (though not you, I might add).

Stay tuned and be open-minded please.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

You've mentioned the HIV epidemic a few times in relation to this, but even you must realise they are different by several magnitudes. HIV spreads nowhere near as fast as this does so govt has to move at much much faster pace as well. 

They need to be doing far more than 2-3000 tests a day, 10x that would be a good start and that is still nothing like the mass testing we have seen in Europe.

You absolutely cannot wait for the data to point to a cluster before acting, not with these new variants, govt needs to be ahead not constantly chasing behind

I am not suggesting that Thailand should use the same testing strategy for Covid-19 as they did for HIV.  I am merely trying to make the case that the Ministry of Health has the capacity to conduct the number tests for Covid that they need to do in order to stay ahead of the epidemic.   If they are doing selective surveillance, I think it is too early to say that they weren't doing enough tests or in the wrong populations.  

The jury is still out on this, and I would urge posters to remain open-minded instead of resorting to the easy, knee-jerk condemnation of the Thai government -- especially without the data to prove their case.  

19 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

You've mentioned the HIV epidemic a few times in relation to this, but even you must realise they are different by several magnitudes. HIV spreads nowhere near as fast as this does so govt has to move at much much faster pace as well. 

They need to be doing far more than 2-3000 tests a day, 10x that would be a good start and that is still nothing like the mass testing we have seen in Europe.

You absolutely cannot wait for the data to point to a cluster before acting, not with these new variants, govt needs to be ahead not constantly chasing behind

Thank you for your reasoned response.

14 hours ago, meechai said:

And again.....Does Thailand have any records to prove that? Because honestly this current wave is tiny by anyone's standards. Your graph does not include Thailand does it?

Secondly about the lack of Flu........most countries have been racking everything up as Covid including any flu like symptoms

In the USA folks were told to self isolate if any symptoms & everyone did...who tested those?

So yeah call it unprecedented or call it obvious ????  or better yet add it to the hype heap ????

In the past, the hospital ICU units weren't being stressed. This time they are.