New projects to help tackle Bangkok’s flooding problems

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Bangkok's governor General Aswin Kwanmuang has promised that 16 projects to address the Thai capital's flooding problems will be completed this year.

He told Naew Na that there were 333 places in Bangkok at risk from flooding that fell under the auspices of district authorities or the Department of Drainage and Sewerage. 

Work being undertaken includes something called pipe jacking and the installation of water banks. 

Areas that can expect improvements before the end of 2021 include Ratchadaphisek near the Ratchayothin intersection, parts of Chaeng Wattana, Phracha Songkhroh, Prachasuk Road, Pahonyothin, Sukhumvit from Asok to Soi 71, the St Louis area of Sathon, Ramkhamhaeng, Sri Nakharin, Suwinthawong and part of the Ekkachai area in Thonburi. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-11

• Haha 1

Ah yes; the same flooding that occured in 2011 and Yingluck pledged to fix it with 33 Billion Baht scheme to build a wall from Nakon Sawan to Bangkok to stop the water.   Not much wall got built but the 33 Billion vanished fairly quickly !

• Like 1

I don't see how you can fix flooding in the middle of  such a large low area?  As another commented it will just shift the water to a nearby area.    I like to venture around and find these klong walking paths and many times there is enough trash that will clog grates the next flood.  I do see some garbage lifters but it's not like they stay on top of this concept when it's not  raining. 

• Like 1