Bangkok food court deserted - waiting for foreign tourists to return

webfact

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News said that netizens were busy sharing pictures posted online from "Hey! These are Thai footpaths".

The post featured the once popular Food Park in the Big C shopping center on Ratchadamri Road in the downtown area of the Thai capital Bangkok. 

The post said that before the pandemic it was full of Chinese and Vietnamese tourists. Now it was virtually deserted. 

They would just have to wait until the foreign tourists return. 

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The area with Central World on the other side with the walkway in the middle is a tourist attraction and shopping heaven in normal times, notes Thaivisa.

For now Covid has dealt a major blow with shops shut and very few people milling about.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-11

• Sad 1

It's just the same in the smaller, less salubrious food courts in Sakon Nakhon and they don't rely on foreigners. Thais are staying away until the 'all clear' has been sounded, which could be a while yet.

• Like 1

Waiting for tourist to return ? I am Belgium man, and have many friends who stay now in Belgium, and they not want to return because of the 14 day quarentaine rule. And I am vaccinated already 2 times with Pfizer. Stop these money taking bussiness and many tourist will return,but i think the thai goverment is the same as the Belgium, you know what i mean ?

Edited by joskeshake

The newspaper article stated: "The post said that before the pandemic it was full of Chinese and Vietnamese tourists."

I hadn't realized that Vietnamese tourists were a significant part of Thailand tourism.  Was that a fairly recent development?