Internet - 4G Time Base Charges

PFMills

I have been with DTAC for more than six years. I have a pre-paid data contract of 5GB/month at 299+Baht. I decided not to extend it this month as we were at home so would use the house internet. I did not put enough money into my DTAC account to allow them to extend. I pay for mobile phone calls at 1thb/min. If I make a phone call it is usually LINE or SKYPE. 

I have had a couple of messages recently from them saying “your internet has exceeded 10.00 Baht already.

I looked at my usage in the DTAC app this morning and noticed a small charge (See attachment).    I cannot understand why as my mobile date is switched off. I was in the land of nod by midnight last night anyway.

I have used hotspot from my wife’s AIS account a couple of times recently but I don’t see how that could have affected it.

Her AIS account is only 299+/month and she gets unlimited data as well as a certain amount of free calls.  I’m considering changing.

Can someone explain why I am getting these charges please. 

dtac.JPG.699a39042d681b9cafeefe0e2e3f8349.JPG

Nowhere is it mentioned that you turned data off. You only stated that you didn't put enough money to renew.

How exactly did you turn data off? 

If there is no package on your phone, then charging reverts to the base package on the SIM. So something is connecting, even if just MMS or related.

The best way to do with any kind of data leakage with DTAC is to change the base package on your SIM. It's actually a good idea for you as it also reduces the cost of your calls to 0.69 baht per minute and gives you an 'always on' data connection @ 64kbps. 

That means if you choose to not subscribe to a data package it falls back to the 'free' 64kbps connection instead of the 1 baht per minute default of your current SIM base package.

To change to the Go Plearn base promo, type *103*55*9# and then hit the dial key. It will deduct 30 baht or thereabouts as a one time payment for the change.

No more possible charges for data leakage. 

image_2021-05-11_052226.png.b8c30ad8068715b938170071031d7a54.png

4 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Nowhere is it mentioned that you turned data off. You only stated that you didn't put enough money to renew.

If there is no package on your phone, then charging reverts to the base package on the SIM. So something is connecting, even if just MMS or related.

The best way to do with any kind of data leakage with DTAC is to change the base package on your SIM. It's actually a good idea for you as it also reduces the cost of your calls to 0.69 baht per minute and gives you an 'always on' data connection @ 64kbps. 

That means if you choose to not subscribe to a data package it falls back to the 'free' 64kbps connection instead of the 1 baht per minute default of your current SIM base package.

To change to the Go Plearn base promo, type *103*55*9# and then hit the dial key. It will deduct 30 baht or thereabouts as a one time payment for the change.

4 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I did say,    I cannot understand why as my mobile date is switched off. Sorry I spelt data incorrectly.  It is an iPhone so you switch data off by moving the little 'thingee' in settings to off.

I initially had a very old phone package at 1thb/min. Just kept a positive balance in the account. Later I contracted for the additional  pre pay data package.

In the past if I haven't had enough money in the account it just doesn't renew ... never had any money taken out of the account as long as mobile data was switched off on the phone.

Go Plearn looks an option ... tks

One of the occasions I may have flicked data on for the covid tracking apps but not whilst I was in bed asleep.

Edited by PFMills
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2021 at 10:53 AM, PFMills said:

I did say,    I cannot understand why as my mobile date is switched off.

You need to switch off wifi too.  It's connecting and charging you at a default rate as you don't have a data package in place.

20 minutes ago, treetops said:

You need to switch off wifi too.  It's connecting and charging you at a default rate as you don't have a data package in place.

My wifi is on all the time as that is what I use at home.

We are not talking about much money here, BUT I always keep a little in the account incase I want to make a phone call. There is just 32baht in at present and obviously I don't want them to 'nick' that. I don't really want to top up as I may be changing to AIS.  Thirty two baht would normally last me several months.

I found this extra bit of information yesterday,  I have queried it with DTAC using their online system 

1053520301_dtacusagehistory.JPG.d6c7b553cd70348cb0ffa0d290f02f6f.JPG

Update.   Have just had a message in Thai that my wife translated. Says basically that someone nicked my data!!! So they have switched it off and told me how to switch it ON or OFF.  I haven't seen a refund yet. Not keen to go and visit one of their shops at present. 

6 hours ago, PFMills said:

Update.   Have just had a message in Thai that my wife translated. Says basically that someone nicked my data!!! So they have switched it off and told me how to switch it ON or OFF.  I haven't seen a refund yet. Not keen to go and visit one of there shops at present. 

No need to visit a shop, since they are not the ones who will initiate a refund. Call centres have the ability to initiate refunds. So call....