Overseas and Overlooked, Americans in Thailand Seek Vaccines

webfact

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

The US embassy has vaccinated its own staff, including locals, and families with Pfizer.  Other US citizens have to look after themselves. 

A friend is in the silver tube right now on the way to get himself Pfizered in California.  He had the airmiles and is happy to get out of Thailand for a few weeks.

well if he has to go for second and then for a booster, he would suddenly find himself being eligible for paying US taxes

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

The US embassy has vaccinated its own staff, including locals, and families with Pfizer.  Other US citizens have to look after themselves. 

A friend is in the silver tube right now on the way to get himself Pfizered in California.  He had the airmiles and is happy to get out of Thailand for a few weeks.

I wouldn’t use miles now , it’s too cheap 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Like China turning off the water tap to the Mekong? And of course Thailand never puts tariffs on American goods, do they? Nor do they steal or distribute American IP, do they? 

It was suggested China has a "stranglehold" on Thailand...I guess some see normal cordial country to country relations as a stranglehold. Maybe the US should try it sometime...otherwise why should Thailand do the US any favors.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It is risky at best just getting there with all the delayed, canceled flights.  Being on a plane and in airports

for about 20 hours if he got a decent layover. And, having to wear a mask on the plane the entire time.

All sounds terrible and a potential risk of infection.

Then, it is 3 weeks between shots.

The embassy is saying on their website up to 15 days for a COE.

Then, 14 day quarantine back here.

So, good luck to your friend he is more then likely looking at a few months not a few weeks before he finds himself back at his place here.

Agree...it seems a bit extreme but maybe he was homesick anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aomelia said:

I just booked a Japan Airlines Ticket go San Francisco 800 dollars RT , DEAL , coming back Oct 1 I hope quarantine is finished by then 

You do know that airlines are still selling tickets for "phantom" flights that never take off, right? But they're happy to take your money now and re-schedule you for a flight sometime within the next year or two.

• Like 1

An American. I take responsibility for myself and I know the Thais don't owe me anything nor do I expect them to. (Though strangely I have received certain valuable health services almost for free because I was in the right place at the right time-but I accept that that is a rare anomaly.) The tough part is being well over 80 and not knowing how many months I will have to wait for a vaccination, whereas if I were in California I would have it in a day or two. So I could fly to CA, but then I think there is too much uncertainty around any plans to return  within this calendar year.

So I'm arriving at the conclusion that I will have to stay here in Thailand indefinitely and just continue to isolate, which seems to work, or leave indefinitely. No family here, no problem. Move out. Return in a year or two, or not; it's a toss-up at this point. I have options, it's all good.

• Like 2