Overseas and Overlooked, Americans in Thailand Seek Vaccines

webfact

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

I can see that you are trying to deflect this topic into yet another good Thailand/bad Thailand thread. I'm really not interested. So just to summarize my view as it relates to this topic about the US government's responsibilities to its citizens in Thailand: 1) I'm not angry with Thailand. Thailand is just being Thailand. I was prepared for its position on vaccinating foreigners (which, again, is not part of this topic). 2) I'm not angry with China. China has done extremely well protecting the interests of its citizens in Thailand. 3) I am angry with the US embassy for its indifference and callous attitude towards its own citizens in this country, which contrasts poorly with the concern and support China has given its citizens.

Don't blame me...I didn't vote for him ????????????

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

It was suggested China has a "stranglehold" on Thailand...I guess some see normal cordial country to country relations as a stranglehold. Maybe the US should try it sometime...otherwise why should Thailand do the US any favors.

Should the Americans ask Thailand to make sure to give US expats special attention so they can be vaccinated when they get the Moderna and pfizer vaccines? Like the Chinese Ambassador did when he gave a gift of sinovac to the Thais.

Is that the way it is done?! 

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Enzian said:

An American. I take responsibility for myself and I know the Thais don't owe me anything nor do I expect them to. (Though strangely I have received certain valuable health services almost for free because I was in the right place at the right time-but I accept that that is a rare anomaly.) The tough part is being well over 80 and not knowing how many months I will have to wait for a vaccination, whereas if I were in California I would have it in a day or two. So I could fly to CA, but then I think there is too much uncertainty around any plans to return  within this calendar year.

So I'm arriving at the conclusion that I will have to stay here in Thailand indefinitely and just continue to isolate, which seems to work, or leave indefinitely. No family here, no problem. Move out. Return in a year or two, or not; it's a toss-up at this point. I have options, it's all good.

It seems as though your tactics of taking precautions  have worked so far ! Maybe  take the approach that if it ain't broke don't fix it ! imop

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Should the Americans ask Thailand to make sure to give US expats special attention so they can be vaccinated when they get the Moderna and pfizer vaccines? Like the Chinese Ambassador did when he gave a gift of sinovac to the Thais.

Is that the way it is done?! 

Now you're learning...but America  doesn't give a darn about its expats; and that's clear with its tax and healthcare policies towards them.

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Now you're learning...but America  doesn't give a darn about its expats; and that's clear with its tax and healthcare policies towards them.

It could be worse my friend like some countries, America could put restrictions on Social Security and make it  difficult for some who depend on that income to live here !

The embassy does offer alerts to its countrymen that live abroad ,which imop is a plus !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand have been spiking since early April, fueled by the highly transmissible variant B.1.1.7

Tragic

55 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm thoroughly disgusted with them.

First they messed up retirees by canceling income letters. 

have you tried calling them?

7 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I'm not saying we're "entitled" to anything.  But this pandemic is a once-in-a-century sort of thing.  If it necessitated a multi-trillion dollar relief package(s), then surely getting US citizens vaccinated overseas could be a part of it.  The US gov would actually be helping the locals by ensuring their own citizens are vaccinated from COVID.  A positive gesture, everybody wins.   But hey, I'm not holding my breath.

Americans, and the government they elected, are too focused on what gender they are and persecuting the police to care about much else.

4 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Americans, and the government they elected, are too focused on what gender they are and persecuting the police to care about much else.

Yeah that sounds like Joe Biden and his team. Not. They have done an amazing job vaccinating the country. I don't see why people outside the country should expect anything in particular. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rwill said:

Are American Embassies in any country vaccinating their expats?  I doubt it.

Good question.  Probably not.  I was curious, so I did Google it and found the below (Spain):

[A: The United States government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas.  U.S. citizens traveling or residing abroad should follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.  In the case of U.S. citizens residing in Spain, you may find useful information here: https://www.vacunacovid.gob.es/]

https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-vaccine-faqs/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I'll be happy to pay at a private Thai hospital. Unfortunately, that isn't possible and there is no way to find out when it will be possible.

It has already been officially announced that foreigners will be able to register to get the vaccinations (not private vaccinations) from July, hasn't it?

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It has already been officially announced that foreigners will be able to register to get the vaccinations (not private vaccinations) from July, hasn't it?

Not really.

Read this carefully. 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/vaccine-explainer-thailands-vaccines-and-timeline/

For non-citizens, only pink card holders (Permanent Residents), who are either 60 or older or have any of the seven health problems mentioned above can register now for vaccination in June or July, while foreign diplomats will also be eligible for jabs on a voluntary basis.

The criteria and plans for future vaccination of other non-Thai citizens remain unclear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:
2 hours ago, khunPer said:

I cannot see the big problem, as he can register for free vaccination in Thailand from July...????

That has not been fully confirmed yet.

Registration was confirmed as being available in July in an announcement in the press/media a few days ago, how is that "not been confirmed"?

• Like 1

America made a medical statement ( precedence) a long time ago when it came to covering expats Medicare benefits ! Stands to reason they wouldn't make exceptions with the virus

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Alec Goldman, an American educator who has made a life in Bangkok

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Goldman worries about the health risks posed by long international flights. He said a trip would strain his finances. 

Some life, lol

Once you step out of your country you are lower than a piece of dried whale sหit as far as your government is concerned.

a. Because you are part of a small powerless group that mostly doesnt vote

b. Because you are taking your currency out of the country and spending it elsewhere.

(there are many more reasons but these are the magour gripes)

So the days of expecting ANY help whatsoever are long gone if you are on the outside looking in.

Actually you should consider yourselves lucky to even be abroad.

Australians have been locked up from outward travel from an illegal travel ban well over 12 months now. 

They have even delayed and denied returning citizens prompt entry, which in itself is a breach of human rights laws. 

1 minute ago, Enzian said:

As Mr. Obvious I want to waste everyone's time pointing out that everything here changes from day to day.

Thai administrations revel in being the 'Hub of Confusion'

• Thanks 1

Just now, GinBoy2 said:
Just now, Enzian said:

As Mr. Obvious I want to waste everyone's time pointing out that everything here changes from day to day.

Thai administrations revel in being the 'Hub of Confusion'

Also known as "gaslighting". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Well isn't that just dandy.  I don't dispute that their staff can/should get the vaccine.  But frankly, the US Embassy/Consulate exists from the taxes that we pay.  As a US citizen, I still file my taxes every year.  It's not too much to ask that we get a little in return.  Yes, if the US Embassy/Consulate can provide access to the Pfizer vaccine, I'd even pay for it.  Is it that difficult??

Considering the fees that US Embassy charges for minor services, vaccinations could be quite expensive. If many expats were willing to pay, State might reconsider???

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm a bit bemused by this whole topic.

Is the US (insert any country you want) responsible to provide you with a flu shot if you live in Thailand?

What about if you have a kid in Thailand who is then a US (insert any country you want) citizen responsible to provide all their childhood immunizations?

I don't think so

So why does anyone think that any Government anywhere is responsible for shipping vaccines half way around the world for their citizens who have chosen not to live in their home country.

The thing that seems to irritate posters here is that, in this pandemic, the Embassy seems uninterested in the fate of it's expats. This is after all not a minor event.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not really.

Read this carefully. 

Read this carefully...

"https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1216556-foreigners-vaccination-mobile-app-to-be-available-or-direct-contact-with-hospitals-from-june/https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1216556-foreigners-vaccination-mobile-app-to-be-available-or-direct-contact-with-hospitals-from-june/

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
34 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Registration was confirmed as being available in July in an announcement in the press/media a few days ago, how is that "not been confirmed"?

OMG  are you serious!?!

Don't you realize by now that we are constantly being sent entirely conflicting announcements, that the things announced as already happening quite often aren't really happening, and you can't believe anything is actually real unless and until it actually is?

Yes, I'm serious.  It's your choice to disbelieve  it, though, fill yer boots.   

If you're so certain about not believing what is announced here why are you apparently a believer in the link you directed me to!   Is there something different about that or do you have information that no one else has?

• Sad 1